Jockey Journal Forum banner

Dad's 1977 Harley

13K views 94 replies 36 participants last post by  JCook5003 
#1 ·
Hey Guys-

First let me preface this with, I know this bike isn't exactly the fashion that typically goes over well on this board. But I'm a member of Pirate4x4 and I love the no bull shit style of this board. If this is going to get flamed too much I'll pull the post if you guys want.

Second, my dad passed away three months ago at age 56. It was very unexpected and sudden. He had lots of health issues, but had for most of my life, so it just became normal and I guess I got suckered into believing he would live forever that way. My dad died in the middle of some home renovations, they were building an attached garage. He said his aim was to fix the bike up with me and give it to me for a divorce present :D . You'd just have to know my pops.

This is his bike, he has had it for as long as i can remember and I'm 29. He absolutely loved it but had to quit riding around 15 years ago. The bike hasn't even been started or ran in ten years that I know of. It was stored with fluids in it but the fuel shut off turned off.

It's a 1977 Harley Low Rider. It was in a bunch of those 80's biker rags with the chicks with huge bush laying all over it.

Now to the questions. What steps should I try to get this thing running again? I'd like to fire it up and then start with the "light rebuild".

After sitting so long I was thinking of pulling the plugs and spraying penetrating oil into the cylinders. Then turning the motor by hand with the kick start to make sure the rings arent stuck.

Opinions, thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
like you think pull the plugs and spray it wont hurt - it will be sumped as the oil when they sit drip by drip enters the lower unit , and the first start up it will puke the oil out of the vent tube under the bike to the tune of a quart maybe - you will need a drain pan under it and no way to drain it unless you remove the top end and pump it out, BUT it wont hurt anything to let it sump out just make sure you have oil in the oil tank on start up

take your time - clean the carb first and the petcock / fuel tanks if fuel was left in it - if it has points replace them if its electronic ignition just put new plugs in it maybe plug wires - new battery see what happens - shovels are good to go if they were taken care of

#5 ·
get a good workshop manual for it (not one of those bullshit haynes or chiltons). in it will be a maintenance schedule listing what to check at certain milage intervals. do ALL of them. and try to resist the urge to change up the bike. if you want another style, build another bike. you might think of laminating your dads picture on the dash though.

#6 ·
I was thinking of having his portrait painted on the oil tank or maybe the battery cover. I know some local guys who are pretty good airbrush guys.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to pull the plugs and tank tonight and see what I'm working with. This is my first delve into serious motorcycle maintenance/repair. I'm sure I'll be learning a lot.

And no questions. I will not be changing a thing on the bike. The only thing I would consider would be switching the cast wheels for spokes. He always said he wanted to do that but could never afford it. You know he had a shit ass kid to take care of. :D

I love the bike, it's been in my life a long time. I'd love to make it just like it was and cruise the thing till I can leave it to someone important. Pops always said, why build a bike or a car if you aren't gonna drive or ride the damn thing. Which is a sentiment I've always taken to heart with my projects too.

#7 ·
Ditto on the manual and all PM. Pay mind to were the spacers are on the tanks or you may be later repairing cracked tank mounts. Clean and rebuild the carb. Oil sumped in the cases can for the most part be dumped out the timing plug hole, by laying the bike down on its' side. If there is a lot of oil dumping it will make the bike easier to turn over. But letting it puke out the breather won't hurt either. Good looking bike, I'd leave it as is.

#15 ·
There are a couple of good Lowrider threads on here, one is a full resto from the barn to the road,called Barn find shovel 79 Lowrider, not sure if this one got finished or not called,Not a barn find shovel. Might be helpful to you,and I'm not a big fan of the airbrush idea either, but with the engraving on the derby and inspection cover you may consider paying homage to your father by having his epitaph engraved on the coil cover? It would be a subtle way to pay respects that wouldn't change the over all theme the bike already has. Just my.02

#16 ·
Sorry to read about the loss of your dad mate. Sounds like a great bloke.

If it was me I'd leave it alone aseptically go to a nice low profile single seat and as suggested above get some engraving down on the derby cover or similar. Over time I'd also be looking for a set of tins with OEM paint but put them away.

#17 ·
Well I opened the fuel tanks. They were 99.9% empty but I can see some bright yellow stuff that used to be gas in each one and some small bits of debris. I imagine I'll pull the inline filter And get a couple of new ones to use upon first few fuel fill ups.

What's the best way to flush these tanks out? There is no rust present in them, just need to get the old stuff out.

Also going to attach a pic of the carb. It's an S&S carb. Anyone have a link to a rebuild of one of these? Or advice?

Hopefully gonna try to fire it up tomorrow.

#22 ·
There's stuff called Metal Rescue that yo can pour into the gas tanks and let sit overnight. It's not toxic or harmful to anything either, it can go down the drain or on the grass. I've used it on tanks and drainedmitmright back into the container to be used again.

#80 ·
I can vouch for this stuff. I have cleaned two tanks with the same jug.
I was careful to keep it off the paint, but I really don't think it will harm the paint.

The girl at the car show that was shilling this stuff had to do a lot of talking to get me to try it. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!

#24 ·
Fuck yeah man, that's a sweet old scoot. Bikes are so much better when they have some history and provenance behind them.
the S&S Super B is a good carb and should fire right up when cleaned. There is an S&S base setting that can be found here - http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/download/ssmanuals/superb.pdf

Just pull the tanks, rinse them with some diesel or kerosene and make sure their clean. drain and change all the fluids, purchase and install a new battery and WHAM!

ride that bitch like your father did. Congrats brother!

#25 ·
Sorry to hear of your lose. Do your dad good and don't change a thing, just clean it up and get it running again. Good on you for not selling it off for fast cash.

Lester

#26 ·
Well guys-

New plugs, new oil, new primary case lube, new tranny lube, oiled and cleaned the chain. Also a new battery. Flushed the tanks and replaced the leaking petcock.

I pulled and cleaned the carb and replaced the manifold to case gaskets with new clamps.

I'm waiting on new tires, new wheel bearings and new fork seals. Also need to pick up some plug wires and some fuel line and filter. I seem to have a leak from the filter into the carb that causing it to suck a little air.

It coughed and sputtered but came right to life after turning over maybe four times. I cried and laughed all at the same time.

I've though more about it and I'm going to get my dad's life dates and name engraved on the battery cover. I was thinking a small quote would also be very fitting. Do you guys have any suggestions? Here are the two I've found so far.

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end" Ursula K Leguin

"Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive" Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Would love to hear some of the stuff you guys have too.

#55 ·
I've though more about it and I'm going to get my dad's life dates and name engraved on the battery cover. I was thinking a small quote would also be very fitting. Do you guys have any suggestions? Here are the two I've found so far.

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end" Ursula K Leguin

"Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive" Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

sounds good

#28 ·
Beautiful bike. Id leave it as is. Suggest your dads bday and day he passed. Any epitaph on his stone or a favorite saying anywhere such as on cell or fridge or he said. I had an old fuel tank i took to carwash and blasted inside with clean water then filled tank with pepsi and let it soak a day. Came out spotless. Clutches may be stuck together so may need to pull them out if basket and soak them in ATF to break them apart and dissolve dried/cured primary fluid off. Good luck

#32 ·
Someone school me on putting saddlebags on this thing. I want to take some serious trips and will need to pack a few changes of clothes.

I assume I need some kind of support brackets. And some throw over leather saddlebags?

Opinions. Thoughts?
If your going for just a few days you don't need saddlebags.
A good waterproof (if there is such a thing) road bag is great. Packed 2 weeks worth of stuff (much unneeded) for a trip to Sturgis in '86.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.