Jockey Journal Forum banner

1"-24 Jam Nuts

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  old.wrench 
#1 ·
I need a 1"-24 thin jam nut for a screw in fork stem. I can find the shouldered type for the top clamp, but I need a plain thin nut. A while back there was a thread about a chopper shop that made top clamps, screw in stems, etc. for aftermarket springers, but I can't find it now. I did find one outfit on Google, but I don't need a minimum order of 1000 of them.

#5 ·
kleinbike,
If you can't find a thin jam nut, you could always take one of the plainer type of stem nuts or upper bearing seat nuts and trim one down. Where do you want to use the nut? From your post it sounds like you want to use it to lock your stem in place in the lower tripple tree. With a little more info we might be able to come up with a helpful alternative :).

Geo.

#6 ·
Yep, bottom tree lock nut for stem. The one that's on there now is FUBAR thanks to someones skillful application of channel locks (not me!). Turning down one of the shouldered type is my plan B, but then I would have one more piece to send to the chrome shop later on. The less to go there the better. Tried McMaster and Fastenal, but they don't carry anything in 24TPI.

#7 ·
Yes, it's hard to find anything out the ordinary in either 1"-24 or 7/8"-24, especially chromed. A part like Colony 8484-1 (chromed) might be a good starting point. Turn (preferably) or cut off the side that will bear against the tree so the cut side isn't visible?
Might save a trip to the chrome shop :).

Geo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.