Jockey Journal Forum banner

crankcase breather filter--yes or no

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Rubone 
#1 ·
should I add a crankcase breather filter on my 1975 superglide or will a 3/8" hose laced toward the rear of the bike be sufficient. stock setup has the vent from tank tee off with one line connected by rear tappet block and the other connected to bottom of crankcase with this setup I don't see how bottom fitting drains-----thanks:confused:

#3 ·
And that lower hose to tank of which you speak leads into an in tank tube that has the open end above oil level in the tank...thus a vent/breather so oil bag doesnt vapor lock or "beer can". OK, say that slowww three times.

#4 ·
I don't run them. Never had a problem with "dirt" in my motor. I run mine back to the drive chain, and anything that "drips out", lubes my chain. I have seen those filters hung under the bottom of the motor, and so clogged up, the motor could not "breath". Which makes everything leak, that will leak.

#7 ·
Actually just looks like an oil leak...from soaked filter absorbed oil, and drips incessantly.
The Vent does Not Suck! Tho it makes sense that it should/would...it don't,[unless your breather timing is Very much Off], Harleys Vent continuously Out..In fact relieving pressure is the #2 Problem...After getting rid of Oil!!!

#9 ·
harleyman75,
You'll be just fine running the hose without a filter or any other doo-dad on the end. The vent relieves excess pressure from the crankcase, it doesn't suck any air in from the outside. I just aim the hose at the ground and trim it off slightly below the bottom of the frame.

Geo.

#11 ·
Anyone ever clean K&N air filters or just let intake air flow open to carb because the filter gets clogged? I run alot of gravel daily and i wouldnt think of letting that vent be open to that kind of dust. For $13 is it worth a try?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.