NZ Shovelhead build - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #81
-BW-

Default Re: NZ Shovelhead build

Awesome bike mate, outstanding fabrication work!

I was living in chch when I started my triumph build back in 2009. I moved back up north now, bikes still not finished...

Hopefully get to see your bike in person some time
-BW- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #82
Ridgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
First Kangaroo leather seat I've seen. Wonder what else they make out of kangaroos.
Great seat base and transition from the curved fender area to the flat seat base.
Nice design too.
Kangaroo tail soup is a winner
Ridgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #83
NZT100

Been working my ass off getting this thing ready for paint.

I'm doing all the molding and prep myself to save money and being the first time i've done this it's a steep learning curve, i'm enjoying the process though. My painter friend who works for Glasurit supplied me all the materials and will be doing the base coat, and ill be carrying out the graphics after which hell lay the clear on. So far i'm in about 30 hours in and have the tins/fender/springer molded and into high build primer as well as roughing in the molding on the frame. Pics below are the process so far -

First step was sanding everything with 80g to clean metal, i also had the frame and springer sand blasted as it was far easier than sanding all those curves.

Then came Epoxy primer. I'm lucky enough to have a oven and wet spray setup (we use it for powder coating)at work so i took the opportunity to use that. Cleaned everything with metal prep, warmed it up in the oven, then laid the Epoxy on.

Next was filler work. What ive learned here so far is its better to do many thin layers than one thick layer. I pretty much did 3 rounds of filler and sanding to get it all flat, i used guide coat and blocking to check each time. I sanded it first with 80g, then 150g, and finally with 240g. It all came out spot on.

The lastly i hit it all with 2.5 coats of High Build Epoxy again. All these parts are ready for final sanding in 400g now then its onto the frame which i have since roughed in from the below pic.

Thats it so far. Lots left to do but sure enough its getting there.
NZT100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #84
NZT100

Well about 80 hours later and prep for paint is done. I have a new respect for guys that do this for a living, its tough work! I tell you what, man it feels good to know that's the last major job done!! Chrome is well underway, off to paint in two weeks time....holy shit i can see the light!

Old 08-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #85
Dutch Dennoz

Really a great job , patience is the key word in this stage...we are dying to see the result
Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #86
NZT100

Got the base coat laid down over the past weekend, then wet sanded with 800g and grey scotched everything back for the flames to be laid down over the next week or so. Have started laying the patterns on as of last night. Its my first time doing any of this so i'm pretty happy how things are turning out so far.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #87
Ratso

You don't need me to tell you how good that looks, or to say "great job."

That's just too bad, 'cause I already said them.

Thanks for the fresh batch of pics. That bunch and the preceding, molding/sanding pix gave me powerful nose memories. (I hope Bondo still smells as good as it used to.)
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #88
MikeJustice55

Well done. Can’t hide bad body work in black. Good thing you took the extra time to make it flat. It’s lookin nice.
MikeJustice55 is offline   Reply With Quote