7 Metal West rear fender ok for p-pad? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
graniteshins44

Default 7 Metal West rear fender ok for p-pad?

I've got a nice 7MW rear fender. It would be mounted with 3 points of contact. Two mounts on the front of the fender, on the frame, then the sissy bar at the back. Is this a string enough fender to run a passenger on?
“Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals…”
-Emma Goldman
graniteshins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Irish Rich

Default Re: 7 Metal West rear fender ok for p-pad?

I wouldn't. People are going to say "Oh, I do it, no problems...", but -

Those fenders are only 16ga steel, that's about 1/16" thick. I wouldn't want to put a passenger of average weight on one without running a 3/16" x 1" reinforcing strip down the length of the fender underneath to reinforce the crown of the fender, to take the fatigue crack potential out of the fender edges.

I'd also reinforce your mounting points underneath with the same 3/16" metal where you're going to bolt through for your fender & sissy bar mounts. 16ga has the potential to fatigue/crack at those holes as well.

Even if you had one of the ribbed 7 Metal fenders, I'd still do it. Plus, you'll gain a protected guide under your fender to route your tail light wires down if you're mounting your tail light on your fender or sissy bar.
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
VonWegener

I have seen a lot of Wassell ribbed fenders that were cracked in front of the sissy bar mount. Rich's reinforcing suggestion should take care of all problems though.
Also limiting the passenger weight to around 100lbs helps.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Irish Rich

I have too, Mike, and same thing with all the spare tire cover fenders.

All the 7 Metal fenders I've seen/used don't have a rolled fender edge either to help strengthen it, so you have that, too.

100 lbs.? What about those "+ size, closing time" occasions? Haha!
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
graniteshins44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich View Post
I wouldn't. People are going to say "Oh, I do it, no problems...", but -

Those fenders are only 16ga steel, that's about 1/16" thick. I wouldn't want to put a passenger of average weight on one without running a 3/16" x 1" reinforcing strip down the length of the fender underneath to reinforce the crown of the fender, to take the fatigue crack potential out of the fender edges.

I'd also reinforce your mounting points underneath with the same 3/16" metal where you're going to bolt through for your fender & sissy bar mounts. 16ga has the potential to fatigue/crack at those holes as well.

Even if you had one of the ribbed 7 Metal fenders, I'd still do it. Plus, you'll gain a protected guide under your fender to route your tail light wires down if you're mounting your tail light on your fender or sissy bar.
Right on! Thanks for the info. I've got a 1/8" strap running horizontally on the back, as added support for the sissy bar. I also have welded 1 1/2" fender washers where the front two mounts attach to the frame. I may try the idea of running a strip on the underside of the fender as well.

I won't be packing a passenger often, when I do she's bout 120 lbs.
“Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals…”
-Emma Goldman
graniteshins44 is offline   Reply With Quote