Old 02-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
Just Passin' Thru...

Default Re: 41 el

I like everything about it, congrats bro
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
rhysmort

Not much of an update, the sissy bar, wasn't meant for a 19" wheel, so spent more hours than should have been needed cutting a section from the cross brace, heating, bending the metal remaining, cutting and bending a piece to weld on top, dressing it, to clear tyre etc etc! Front wheel also turned up, it's a WW1 Jones rim, in very good condition! purchased it from Guy of greasy kulture. Going to look great on the bike!
rhysmort is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #24
rhysmort

After 5!!! hours of cutting, bending and heating, finally got the sissy bolted up, :banghead:

It's sitting flush and all straight is what I find is the dark art with these!! at last. Waiting on parts now to finish her. Should be with me in the next week so I can get her bolted up and take her for a spin!!

Old 02-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #25
Stormin

It's gonna be a sweet looking ride and I thought you'd already nailed it with the flatty. This is my favorite classic look, simple and clean black.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #26
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
It's gonna be a sweet looking ride and I thought you'd already nailed it with the flatty. This is my favorite classic look, simple and clean black.
Thanks man!

The tank, you can't see here, has been on a wall in texas forever, the paint is chipped and a bit rusty, so I just had some art on her and clearcoated!! couldn't bring myself to fix it!!
Old 02-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #27
69camfrk

Location: GA, If you want sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis

Awesome in every way man!!!
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
Ratso

Real nicely executed cottonmouth on the tank. I can't see all of the lettering on the serpent's belly in your pics. What's it say? -- "Paradise Costs Money" or something?
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #29
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Real nicely executed cottonmouth on the tank. I can't see all of the lettering on the serpent's belly in your pics. What's it say? -- "Paradise Costs Money" or something?
It says Paradise lost man, It's a famous english poem about the rise of satan, the fall of man, and how the snake tricked Adam & Eve, you'll get the reference from there :P
Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #30
rhysmort

Update time;

Not a great deal to physically look at, I'm waiting on oi line fittings, bearings cups, races, and a few other small bits which will get her finished! not had the bike in my possession two weeks yet, so really shouldn't moan it's not done!! **Impatient as shit as this is the first one I've put together fully myself**

So, fitted the fuel line and petcock, had the old man help me tap and drill out the tank to relocate petcock, as I'm running the brake rod backwards, installed the switch on the chain side, nestled by my fender off the rear tranny mount bolt. Started looking at putting my headlight bracket together, going to need to turn something down, thread it and get to some welding for the bracket.

Only issue I've ran into so far per se, is my rear wheel isn't trued, a real ball ache and not one of my strengths, any tips much needed and appreciated.

Few snaps of her as she sits.

Rhys
Old 02-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #31
radarsonwheels

Gorgeous. Congrats on building your dream bike!

This is not meant as a snipe- lots of folks run them like that- but why not lean the sissy bar back to match the fork angle? I’ve seen a lot that are straight vertical or even tipped forward and I don’t get it.

I would love to hear why that angle? And your bike is so well done and considered with a nod to history and classic good taste I’m sure you did it on purpose not just because it holds up s short fender.

Thanks and again congrats it’s sooo nice
radarsonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #32
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarsonwheels View Post
Gorgeous. Congrats on building your dream bike!

This is not meant as a snipe- lots of folks run them like that- but why not lean the sissy bar back to match the fork angle? Iíve seen a lot that are straight vertical or even tipped forward and I donít get it.

I would love to hear why that angle? And your bike is so well done and considered with a nod to history and classic good taste Iím sure you did it on purpose not just because it holds up s short fender.

Thanks and again congrats itís sooo nice
Thanks for the kind words dude, appreciate it. I've given this bike a huge nod to the 50's/60's. Re the sissy. It's partially down to personal preference, and partially that I tend to ride long trips when I go away on my bikes, I've had less than any luck with a leaned back or terd style sissy, I can strap all my shit to a 90 degree one without issue. It's more aestherically correct for me, I match my risers to my forks and like to run my bars vertical too.. Soooo long winded answer, it works better for what I've always used, and I don't like leaned back sissy's I don't see they serve a purpose, nothing more, probably less than vertical does!

Rhys
Old 02-23-2020, 01:41 AM   #33
Thunderbird

now I would have been happy with the flat head but the knuckle is just another step beyond.
do the rear wheel truing the poor mans way, strip the tyre and then tweak when back in frame, loosen and tighten 360 deg opposite. left to right on adjacent side of the rim, give spokes ring test to ensure all equal tension. slowly. slowly catchy monkey. use zip ties to indicate which way you're going, before too long you'll be doing your own wheel rebuilds.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:57 AM   #34
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
now I would have been happy with the flat head but the knuckle is just another step beyond.
do the rear wheel truing the poor mans way, strip the tyre and then tweak when back in frame, loosen and tighten 360 deg opposite. left to right on adjacent side of the rim, give spokes ring test to ensure all equal tension. slowly. slowly catchy monkey. use zip ties to indicate which way you're going, before too long you'll be doing your own wheel rebuilds.
Thanks man,

I'd never thought about it like that.. good process though! It's on my to do list later on!!
Old 02-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #35
buffalobruce

As one 41 Nuck EL owner to another. Looks good. Glad to see a young man from across the ocean, interested in the iron that I grew up with. Nothing better in life than a chopped Knucklehead.
A couple of things tho.It looks like an original oil pump , I would go with a shovelhead oil pump. Yes a shovelhead brings it's own problems but, having more than enough pressure , verses not enough with a original pump,( been down that road ) is something that is easily fixed. Also don't forget to use ZDDP for your engine and trany.It puts the level of Phosphorus and zinc back to the levels required in the older Harley engines for lubrication. Especially the Knuck. When they came out with catalytic converters. They found the high level of Zinc and Phos. were clogging the converters. So the vehicle MFg's got the oil co to reduce the amounts so the vehicles would pass emissions. Hence no more of the lubrications needed for the older engines. Can cause alot of damage to your engine.1st pic: why sissy bars are bent. 2nd pic: way it looked when I grew up. 3rd pic: My 41 and no, oil pressure gauge no longer mounted like this. New it would break wanted to see how long it would take , 2 miles. Eyes aren't as good. got a green lettered gauge can see alot better, flush mounted now. Color of bike changes in sunlight has about 5 different colors. Still kicking and riding choppers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3b837995860083bacf04834943f99858.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	256296   Click image for larger version

Name:	3c737010f5ae9164c0aed1a1b8a3ec8e--harley-davidson-schools.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	256298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	750.7 KB
ID:	256300  

buffalobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #36
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobruce View Post
As one 41 Nuck EL owner to another. Looks good. Glad to see a young man from across the ocean, interested in the iron that I grew up with. Nothing better in life than a chopped Knucklehead.
A couple of things tho.It looks like an original oil pump , I would go with a shovelhead oil pump. Yes a shovelhead brings it's own problems but, having more than enough pressure , verses not enough with a original pump,( been down that road ) is something that is easily fixed. Also don't forget to use ZDDP for your engine and trany.It puts the level of Phosphorus and zinc back to the levels required in the older Harley engines for lubrication. Especially the Knuck. When they came out with catalytic converters. They found the high level of Zinc and Phos. were clogging the converters. So the vehicle MFg's got the oil co to reduce the amounts so the vehicles would pass emissions. Hence no more of the lubrications needed for the older engines. Can cause alot of damage to your engine.1st pic: why sissy bars are bent. 2nd pic: way it looked when I grew up. 3rd pic: My 41 and no, oil pressure gauge no longer mounted like this. New it would break wanted to see how long it would take , 2 miles. Eyes aren't as good. got a green lettered gauge can see alot better, flush mounted now. Color of bike changes in sunlight has about 5 different colors. Still kicking and riding choppers.

Good afternoon sir! thank you for the kinds words, I also love the pictures, unfortunately the world has moved on so the people who like said bikes especially in Europe are far fewer between. Don't get me wrong there's a few good shows and it brings 1000's of people from all over the European breadth.

Re the oil and pump, I've ran a few of the old ones, rebuilt they're not terrible, but with the oil I hear ya, I've bought some good stuff to keep her all well oiled and fresh.

It should be almost complete by the end of this coming week!
Old 02-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #37
hammerweight

Love the white seat!....lol
Great looking scoot!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 AM   #38
Thunderbird

Rhysmort you're probably well aware of this but the 'classic' type oils contain zinc but check as Bruce says and use additive if necessary.
If you use one of those fancy synthetic oils you may want to check whats in them, the usual thing that detergents will loosen up crud that was quite happily lying dormant.
Then again i've always been told that synthetics are no good for big ends as the allow them to slide instead of roll.
Hey, we could start an oil thread, has that been done before 8-/
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:28 AM   #39
[JP]

Another thing to keep in mind regarding new oils is that they attack bronze bushings.
I have it somewhere on my notes what type of oils do that and what to look for on the tin. there might even be a thread on here somewhere about it.

I know when I had to choose oil I went through days of reading about it.
now I always use the same.

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #40
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Rhysmort you're probably well aware of this but the 'classic' type oils contain zinc but check as Bruce says and use additive if necessary.
If you use one of those fancy synthetic oils you may want to check whats in them, the usual thing that detergents will loosen up crud that was quite happily lying dormant.
Then again i've always been told that synthetics are no good for big ends as the allow them to slide instead of roll.
Hey, we could start an oil thread, has that been done before 8-/
I hear mixed things, people I know off the JJ run fully synth in the old engines too.. this is a fresh rebuild, has no 'miles' on it. Will be going full mineral though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
Another thing to keep in mind regarding new oils is that they attack bronze bushings.
I have it somewhere on my notes what type of oils do that and what to look for on the tin. there might even be a thread on here somewhere about it.

I know when I had to choose oil I went through days of reading about it.
now I always use the same.
Yeah I'll be careful!!