Killswitch for Mag users- kill to prime? Theft? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
radarsonwheels

Default Killswitch for Mag users- kill to prime? Theft?

Howdy Jockeys

I always wanted a magneto and finally ordered one. My panhead currently starts reeeeaaaly well when cold- two good whacks on the super E, choke on, kick thru twice, ignition on, and she usually fires first or 2nd kick. When sheís hot itís either a one kick deal or if she coughs or sputters it turns into a mission- probably floods easy with the S&S.

So Iím thinking about how to prime it with the mag. I can run a little spring steel kill tab on the mag and just slip a piece of metal under it for a killswitch, or run a hidden toggle. Less wires is what I want but no key & no neck lock is sketchy if I go to a concert or something. Thereís always the kryptonite chain. I know most thieves canít even steal a stickshift car and itís more likely to be thrown into a pickup truck or van than ridden away by a kickstarting thief.

I kinda donít want the wiring that goes with a toggle or grounding mag keyswitch but itís not a big deal.

How do you have your mag killswitch and are you happy with it?
radarsonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
CookieMonster

Default Re: Killswitch for Mag users- kill to prime? Theft?

I just have a factory push button kill switch on the bars and release it mid kick when Iím ready.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Buy a keyed mag. Boom, problems both solved.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
magnum45pete

there are Keyed ignition switches that have a Magneto terminal so when ignition is off it grounds the Mag but the rest of it works in the same way a stock ignition works, ask Dave Shaw at Morris Magnetos, I think he might stock them.... 973-540-9171
but be Damn sure you do NOT fuck up and connect to a live feed as that will fuck ya new Magneto.... or look up ''magneto ignition switch'' on ebay, there's a page of them there
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
radarsonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
there are Keyed ignition switches that have a Magneto terminal so when ignition is off it grounds the Mag but the rest of it works in the same way a stock ignition works, ask Dave Shaw at Morris Magnetos, I think he might stock them.... 973-540-9171
but be Damn sure you do NOT fuck up and connect to a live feed as that will fuck ya new Magneto.... or look up ''magneto ignition switch'' on ebay, there's a page of them there
Hahaha yeah thatís what I meant when I said grounded ignition switch- I know you can buy them where the key off setting is a ground for a mag kill.

I saw someone wiring a mag for +12v once on the forums- nobody is born knowing everything but ouch really?!

Dave is awesome I talked to him a couple times before deciding on the G5.

He was saying the oldschool Ďhackí is just stick something metal (beer can pop tab) between the killswitch and the mag body for priming or to befuddle an idiot that tries kicking your bike.

I always wanted a magneto and this is a super simple stripped down chopper so less is more. Dave stuck a feeler gauge type ground button in my package from Morris which is super cool so I think Iíll just go that way and see how I like it. Simple.

Last night I pulled my timer and coil and tucked away the hot and breaker wires for the points just in case I ever wanna go back. Kinda canít wait to get home from work to toss in the mag, even though itís crappy outside.
radarsonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
magnum45pete

Dave is a great fella, before I came to England I lived in Bernardsville NJ, about 10 miles from his place, I would ride up there when I could and chat to him, he always had time for you.
I got this off of him last year, cant fault it, I wired an old Harley horn push as the kill button so I can ground it as I prime kick,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1336 (2).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	256208   Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	256210  
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
farmall

I'd take something else to a concert or other social gatherings unless you feel like giving away a Panhead. If I can't watch my bike I ride a beater and park next to attractive machines, or I take my beater pickup truck. When I went to concerts at the Spectrum many moons ago (I caught the Wailers last show there with Bob Marley) I took the train so I could get hammered and not worry about a vehicle at all.
I would never leave a Panhead unguarded, especially in any east coast city! That's just begging for it to get ripped off. That's up there with juggling WP grenades with the pins pulled and hoping you can catch them before the spoons fly away! Why would you take that risk just for an event? I hailed from north Jersey before I escaped to better riding weather, less traffic and lower taxes. I even chained my ugly T-500.
A thief ain't gonna start it but nowadays everyone knows about portable angle grinders and no chain stops a cutting disk. I've never had a scoot stolen because I presume everyone who isn't a scumbag is a dimwit or too scared to call the cops. "Locksport" is also a thing (see Youtube) and very few locks are really secure.
Good luck but think about it. Merely getting away with it this long doesn't mean a modern thief won't chop yer chain. I cut a lot of hardened steel and use a 6" disk in my 4-1/2" cordless grinders after modding the guards. It's even faster than the 4-1/2" because of the edge speed and now DeWalt sell these which most gearheads (including anyone who would recognize a Panhead) know about:
https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...y-kit/dcg414t1
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
old stale negative

I originally had the kill switch on my handlebars, before replacing it with a feeler gauge on the back of the mag that could tuck behind a pushrod tube for priming without spark.

I did like how it cleaned up the wiring, but I eventually moved back to the handlebar switch because the feeler gauge was so damn awkward to reach while on the bike and I got tired of burning my hands...
old stale negative is offline   Reply With Quote