The Black and Blue obsession build - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
dinolix

Default The Black and Blue obsession build

Obsession! that is what it has become. This may get alittle long in the begining but after that I'll just shut up and build. A little back ground...after graduation and buying a runner bike I asked my wrestling coach if I could buy his Triumph sittin in his shed. He would tell us stories of "back in the day". He said $100 and let me ride it once when you get her going. Tore it down and there it sat for quite a few years. always had a runner to ride, other stuff to do and deployments got in the way. finely one day I sold my evo E-glide so to make me work on this. Got it going and took it back to pay my dept. Unfortunate by this time he had gotten sick and couldn't take it for a spin, so I fired it up and got the biggest smile and a glaze over the eyes. "RIP big guy". I rode it for a couple of summers. It was a blast! Then bought a 2000 springer and figured I wouldn't ride the triumph much so I wanted to sell it off while it was running good.
A before and after pic. more to follow.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	81884   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	81885  
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
dinolix

Default Re: The Black and Blue obsession build

Now during all of this My wonderful wife had went through some steps to find my birth parents. I was adopted as an infant but knew I was born only a short ways away from here. Come to find out he is one hell of a Harley guy. The day we met we had on the same harley hat...now this was no hard core biker hat with the shield but one that I've never seen before or since. It was kinda freaky. You woulda had to have been there....any way we have had 8 fine years together. I always admired his panhead but we never made it a point to ride together. mostly because.....well who cares...shoulda made time. in Nov I got a call and found out he didn't have much time left after visiting the Doc. I spent as much time over there with him as I could. I got a call 3 weeks later one early morning that "it don't look good". and that day I had a guy coming to look and the trump. did the deal over the phone and the bike was gone.

When I returned for the day of the funeral my uncle handed me a card and in it was the title for my Dads panhead........he had signed it over to me early on.

Last edited by dinolix; 03-08-2013 at 06:10 AM.
dinolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
dinolix

I told my sister I would "get her all shined up" and take her for some rides.
With it being winter I figured good a time as any to fix up the leaks and any other parts. As we tore into it one thing leads to another and next thing you know 4hrs later its down to bare frame and parts.
It really is bitter sweet...I felt awkward about changing it, but was reassured He woulda loved to see me having fun with it.

so here we go..it has become an obsession...I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it and all day at work as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panheada.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	81886  

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
49panbob

Can't get much of a better story than that. That's awesome about the hats. Glad to see another pan getting put back on the road.
49panbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
JAWS

I admit, I kinda got choked up....

subscribed!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
rooster

Absolutely!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
TheAppleKnocker

Right on looking good
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
dinolix

So where I'm at now is in the process of locating a non numbered frame...since this bike has a numbered frame and my title is for the 63 engine. But we went over all this before. If I'm gonna build this thing I'm gonna do it so no-one will be able to take it away from me. found a couple frames, so hopefully I can make something happen. I call it Black and Blue since it's gonna be satin/flat blue with some pinstriping and black accents. 21" springer front. smaller tank to show off that beautiful engine, but not to small I wannna ride and not spend every stop at the pump. gotta lightin up the rear fender but using the same 16"drum in the rear.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
vintagespeed

awesome story man, good luck with it.

that's JunkBitch to you.
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
dinolix

Thought I would give a bit of an update. I was able to pick up a non numbered frame and traded some parts I wont use for some parts I will use. crazy how things work out. Still waiting to get the engine back, sounds like the cylinders needed to be cleaned up, new pistons, heads cleaned up too.
I had two split tanks so one is getting cut up. I'm tryin to make a "large" alien style tank. I've never done it before, so after reading up on here, I just started to "hack away". Now it's tax return time so I'm waiting to see how much I get to spend on a welder.
I got the tires mounted, 16" rear and 21" front, now I'm trying to figure out if I need a stock length or -2" springer. I've read all I can on the subject, set up the frame with some string running down to the floor, but it seems like either one gives me 4-6" of trail. The difference is mainly the ground clearance 3" vs 5". does all that seem correct? which way would be best? I like low, but if it's a big issue I'll go taller.
Other then that, I'm gonna try my hand at duracoating some parts. (It's a firearms finish). gotta wait on the handle bars till I get more of the bike built.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
panhead_pete

3" is REALLY low in my opinion and stock length springers look great. Not sure what make of springer you are thinking but if its DNA please do a search on them 1st.

Thanks
Pete
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
tomsoftail

Good story, I can't believe about your biological dad and the hat. He had some taste!
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
spent

Great story, man. That bike definitely has some weight behind it, in a personal sense. I agree with the springer comments, though, both about height and DNA's in general. Stock length springers look great, and ground clearence is nice, trust me.
spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
dinolix

Thanks guys. the more I sleep on it, and look at the flat spots on the bottom of the drag pipes and ground off pegs, I figure i better go with the stock.
I was thinking DNA, I have done some research on them, plus have friends that use them. What I found out is dont use extended forks, and dont run a fender. OK so where would everyone suggest to get a springer from? Besides Paugchos or OEM. $$$ is a big part of the issue and A person gets what they pay for I know. No doubt that the others are much better. Otherwise they wouldn't cost so much. I dont plan on running a fender so I dont want all the hard ware of the OEM. Se I told you I'm slow and can't decide...........I got it! If I set up a fund and for just one dollar from everyone here I could get the top of the line everyting! ha!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
Okie Pete

Amazing story. I did get choked up. Wishing you all the best on your build.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
dinolix

So I got to do some duracoating yesterday. I found out it doesn't fill in gaps a much as I thought. If you want an ultra smooth finish and gloss the part needs to be polished, then lightly sanded. The stuff is very hard after 24hours though. I'm happy with it.
Also did some more research on the front end situation. with the frame setting at a very slight angle, I have 17" from bottom of neck to the center of axle. the issue is I may have to go a different route with the front exhaust pipe because it goes out in front of the down tube and the tire will be very close to hitting it. Any ideas of whom to get the front from if not DNA?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	build pics 012a.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	82583   Click image for larger version

Name:	build pics 014a.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	82584  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
dinolix

So with good weather coming soon I thought I would update.. I told myself nothing was going to stop this build. I was wrong....Well the build has taken a bit of a halt. The wife and I decided to get to building our house THIS summer rather then NEXT. So between selling our home and planning for the new one, Along with the engine rebuilders having issue after issue at the shop, the fire has seemed to die down a bit. I did get a chance to take some split tanks and attempt to make some larger alian style tanks. LOTS AND LOTS OF cutting welding and grinding later, I still can't get a good seal on all the seams. Thinking I'm gonna just mount up the other split tanks for the summer, and get it to a riding stage for now.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #18
lht

it was meant to be
lht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
dinolix

We'll it has been a year since we lost the old man, and I felt it appropriate to post how it ended up. Please keep in mind during the build I had moved to a duplex and built a house. So I really didn't be to ride it.... But loved to just go out and start it. Thanks for all the info and help so far.

I tried to upload a pic and vid, but I keep getting some kinda error. Sorry ill figure it out tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #20
JAWS

No worries. It'll show up when it's supposed to.

I think about this story from time to time some.

I have some good friends, one in particular, that are reaching an age physically that I don't want to acknowledge. Good thing they don't either.

I pray for many more years with them.

I guess they gotta sleep eventually. I'm not afraid to admit I'm gonna cry like a little girl when that happens.

There's just something about the love of bikes that seems to transcend ages and time. Making it all even some how.

Sorry for the ramble, thanks for the update.