Late 70s Ironhead "33-66" - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
goaarongo

Default Late 70s Ironhead "33-66"

Hi all - Wanted to load up some pics of a project I have been working on and start the discussion. Its an ongoing, slow endeavor, but I'm hitting the point now where I would like some feedback, help, inspiration etc...

A few details:
1977 XL1000 motor with electric start
1979 Sportster Frame, minor modifications
Going with all disc brakes

This bike has never been a "bike" in the sense that I'm tearing one down and rebuilding/modifying it. It's being cobbled together as I go with random parts from random bikes. I started with a solid motor that had been in a running chopper. I'm looking to go for something somewhere in the neighborhood of a dirt tracker... influenced by the XR750, but with some bobber type elements mixed in. Hoping for a raw, industrial look, that is clearly garage made but not and embarrassment to ride around on. I'm learning a lot about machining as I go...

I'm excited to hear tips on fabrication as well as detailed info about the bike components I'm using. Think I mentioned I am learning as I go... I have built two other bikes before (one other in the "cobble it together as you go" style) but I'm new to American Iron. Hope you guys will humor me and throw some feedback or info my way.

Last edited by goaarongo; 02-17-2014 at 09:40 PM.
goaarongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
goaarongo

Default A start...

So here are some things I have done so far:

Found motor, frame, and tank. The tank is custom, and had about 2" removed from it... Had it dipped and pressure tested afterwards. The oil tank is also custom, and something that I found laying around. I like the round tank in the rear triangle.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
goaarongo

Default Some brakes...

I'm going to try to use the period calipers, although I have definitely struggled with them a bit. I drilled and tapped some screws into the rear "trapped" nuts... Hope this will keep them from spinning more and stripping the aluminum completely.

This was the best one of the two front calipers... some of the others were a bit looser. My rear caliper had been badly abused. Someone ran the disc on the outside of both pads and up against the housing. I had to mill the inside to get it flat again.

Picked up some new rubber and new pads. Hope the rear caliper isn't too sloppy - we'll see. Anyway, I think I'm square on brakes.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
goaarongo

Default Front fork lowers...

Planning on going without a fender on the front. I hated the big square reflector mounts and the big fender mounts I wont need. Spun these on a lathe, which is an idea I think I picked up on this site. These two aren't actually a matched pair (forgot to take the before pic), but you get the idea.

With the brakes mounted.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
goaarongo

Default Mockup 1...

This is kinda where she is at right now. I was able to scare up 2 18" rims (hard!) and went ahead and got the XR750 fiberglass from airtech. Ive trimmed it up quite a bit and may go even smaller.

Planning on running some kinda knobby tires... Enduro, or something of the like. Still working on the spacers for my rear axle, which is using a more modern hub. Found some gas shocks for the rear. They look cool, but I'm not sure yet how they will ride.

Anyone have any general thoughts about the direction so far?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Hopper

Default Re: Late 70s Ironhead "33-66"

Looks pretty damn good to me so far. I like the XR ducktail as you have it. Forks look trick too with the unturned sections left as is, kind of like upside down forks on some of the new sport bikes. Keep us posted.
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
La Dolce

Oh, this is going to get interesting.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
RAGBAK

very nice and glad to see something more different then the norm on here.
Love that chopped tank and the front fork treatment which looks like a ceriani now!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
FeHd

I like alot, looks great. I really like the flattrack / basic bike look. I am going in a similiar direction with my 74 XLCH

Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
goaarongo

Thanks for the comments. FeHD - That's a nice looking ride. I almost went with that frame on this build, but really liked having the rear triangle. Think I only made it harder on myself, since I belive HD only made this frame for about 3 or 4 years. Fitment issues abound. Love your exhaust... been looking for a good 2 into 1. One question, do you know how long your fork tubes are offhand? I'm worried mine may be too long.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
FeHd

Thanks. The tubes are stock, I put 2" PVC spacers inside them to limit the extension, its pretty easy to do. I couldnt find a good 2-1 for mine so I made that one myself. Its 304 stainless, I got all the material including the reversecone muffler from these guys
http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
buddha000

This is yet another reason I love JJ. I am not really into the dirt tracker style, but both of these bikes are nice. I really like your ride FeHd. Too much good on that bike to get into why, but a lot of thought went into the bike and it shows.
buddha000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
servi53

another good one to watch, keep at it
servi53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
goaarongo

More hits... Cool.

FeHD - thanks for the link to the exhaust materials. Might be a fun way to practice my TIG welding (so far stainless is all I've been practicing on). I have been toying with the idea of cutting away some of the engine covers. Looked again at yours and seems you beat me to it. Here's a pic of what I have going on.

As you all can see, my covers don't match. Thinking I'll sandblast them, and maybe powder coat. More interesting is the now unnecessary disc brake actuator. Gotta pull that out. Hard to see in this pic, but the cover has already been cut a bit underneath it... who knows why. But, its inspiring me to cut it even more. Anyone else gone down this road? At a minimum, I think I'll window the sprocket cover to expose some of the chain, and I'd love to drop that unneeded hole. Design is yet to be finalized here so I'm open to thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
FeHd

If your really brave, go check out the Quad Cam Bastards. Its a private forum that deals only with modified and chopped sportsters. I have been a member over a year now, and I'm telling you, ya wont find a better group of guys and some gals. Very tight knit, no bullshit kinda people that love sporties.
Here is some pics of my cam cover and the cover I made to support the kicker and the shifter. It also mounts my rear M/C. Its a mockup in the pic, but the finished piece will be very close.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
goaarongo

Here's more or less where I'm at with the sprocket cover. Still need to strip the chrome and spin a few spacers to get the thing to bolt on right.

I'm fairly happy with the shape of the 3 cutouts. Part of me wanted to go bigger, but this is really all I felt I could get away with without compromising the structure of the cover. The master cylinder AND footpeg bolt right into this guy, and there are only 4 bolts holding it on.

Last edited by goaarongo; 02-17-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
goaarongo

Here is the latest conundrum. I'm torn with what direction to go with the seat. I have my xr750 seat mostly fitted up. But I came across this really cool chunk of metal that is trying to pull me another direction.

Its actually a chromed piece of cast iron that was once part of a stove. Fits the back of the bike pretty nicely. Guess I'd have to rig up some kinda solo saddle for it, which would expose a lot more of the frame. On the other hand, this is coming along pretty good too...

Plus, I found this sweet light that came off a snowmobile.

Tough decision... Anybody have thoughts on this? Either way I'm going to add a very minimal metal fender underneath. And I'm going to go hack at least a foot off those strait pipes.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #18
S.G

Intresting build. Dont you wanna have that taillight more in? Put the fender there and then the light. A foot or two off those pipes will do it...
S.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
RAGBAK

nice work! Love the sectioned tank...
Here's a friends bike he just finished and you might get a kick of.

1979 sportster
Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Wagoneer

Nice job. Looks like you have a lot of great tools and skills to get the job done.

The bike is very much looking like what you described initially you wanted it to be.

Where are you putting the battery?

What is "33-66""?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Looking good!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
goaarongo

Thanks for the comments. Like that white sportster - I'm guessing 1980 or 81? I'm still scratching my head today about the tail section on my bike. Working on some brackets for the light and the inner fender.

Wagoneer - the "33-66" name is for me and my cousin, who I'm actually doing this project for. When I started, I was 33 and he was 66. Good thing I wrote it down, 'cause at the rate I'm going I'm gonna have to change it to "43-76".
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
D1947

very nice
D1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
hallin222

Aaron, what did you do with that hardtail frame that this bike used to ride on? A rigid Ironhead may be my next buid when my '79 KZ750 twin is complete.
hallin222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
goaarongo

Man a year has gone by and I barely have anything new to post. Getting back into building season though, and I have made some progress.

I got some powder coating done and laced up my wheels. Tires are on order now...

Really liking the way these came together. Good thing too cause the wheels alone are probably at least 1/4th of the overall budget. All new bearings and everything. I also bought a super cool rear sprocket only to find out that like almost everything else on this bike it didn't fit. I cut the aluminum spacer in the center on my lathe, which took some really fancy work cause the inside is shaped to fit the hub exactly. Its also locked into the sprocket with some small cap screws.

What else... Finished fitting up my sprocket cover - more lathe work there.

You can see some of the spacers on there. The biggest is in steel and connects to the motor mounts and is tapped on both ends. It's since been powdercoated so it wont rust. Sometimes I think I would have more luck if I just carved this thing directly out of stone.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
goaarongo

By the way - the old frame is long gone. Sorry man. Still got that same pile of spare parts from when you came by before... if this is who I think it is...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
goaarongo

Here's an updated overall mock up. Decided pretty firmly against the airtech seat. I just couldn't get lines I was happy with, and I felt like the forward pitch of the seat was gonna be too uncomfortable. Gotta tighten up that front end (its just balanced in there poorly for the pic) and make a few more adjustments. But overall I'm feeling excited about it again.

Don't wanna give away too much too soon, but here is a somewhat closer shot of the big chunk o' chrome that's gonna be serving as the tail piece. Believe it or not, it came off a cast iron stove.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
goaarongo

Tires make a big difference.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
goaarongo

Did some more fun lathe work.

And made some progress on my tail section.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #30
goaarongo

Still creeping along on this project... Got my second round of powder coating done which was the last major thing. Next step will be to put the motor in and build the suspension so I can put some wheels on this thing and coast it down a hill.

Any thoughts on the color scheme? I'm hoping it will look even cooler when the bike gets all dingy and oily again... which is how an ironhead is meant to be.

Last edited by goaarongo; 02-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #31
Destralo Roach

Keep Up the good work Man!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #32
tampamatt

Looks great and love the frame color. Ironheads are a trip great fun lotta hands on work, mine will vibrate to a state of poor tuning with some hard riding. If you ever do a top end job, get the rearing exhaust valve enlarged, the rear jug always heats up more. Compensating sprocket helps take some stress off the crankshaft. SS E carb? Awesome, avoid G too much fuel. I find the calipers wear out btw they go out of round in the piston hole, when available flyrite makes Kick Ass brakes for sporties. Oil cooler a must if riding in summer heat, 60 weight only. Anyhow that's off the old brain pan hope it helps.....keep at it the glory is coming.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #33
goaarongo

Destralo - thanks for the encouragement.
tampamatt - thanks for the tips man. Lotta good info in that little paragraph. I'm in Texas, so an oil cooler really is a must. If you look close you can see it in this pic. I scored huge when I bought it off a guy for $40.

I cleaned and polished this guy up today too, in prep for putting it in the frame. There's a new S&S shorty behind that air cleaner and an oversize sprocket you can barely see peeking through that window in the cover.

Getting closer...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #34
goaarongo

Almost forgot - rebuilt the swingarm bearings too. Here it is fitted up all nice and clean.

Stearing bearings next.

Last edited by goaarongo; 02-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #35
goaarongo

Banner day. Had my cousin come for a visit today and he helped me drop this motor in the frame for what is hopefully the last time. Hope your hand's not too bruised Fred!

After getting that thing in place, I couldn't help but start bolting things on like crazy. I started by rebuilding my front suspension, which I lowered by around 2 inches using the PVC technique. I suppose I coulda got fancy and fabbed these spacers out of aluminum, but the PVC was just so easy...

Talking about fancy aluminum spaces though, I did whip this guy up to accommodate for the fact that my front end is from another bike. Turns out the post was around a quarter inch too long... dont know how I didn't notice that...

You can see my spacer under the steering stem nut. And yes its fancy with some little accent lines. New bearings, fresh grease, etc... may as well throw some wheels on too I guess... and why not put the tin on...

Last edited by goaarongo; 02-17-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #36
goaarongo

Really happy with how the front end is turning out. Glad I left the turned aluminum bare.

Overall, the stance is shaping up right and the colors are coming together pretty good. I really went overboard on replacing all the fasteners and putting in a lot of detail work that may only be noticed by me, but the fun is in the process I guess. I even like the look of the primer, so I'll probably ride it like that for a while. Might even just shoot a clearcoat on top of it and call it good.

One other detail - the footpeg on this side (and shifter) had to be pushed back about an inch to line up with the new location of the peg on the other side. Pretty happy with the welding I did, and after the powdercoat they really look like they were made that way.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #37
Destralo Roach

Nice Job!! Yeah that tripple tree was probley a post 82.. the stems are longer..

Roach.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #38
mct496

looks good i really. like what you did with the forks what did the rear shocks come off of? were they a direct bolt on?
mct496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #39
goaarongo

mct496 - Man, I wish I knew what these were from. Found them in in a misc pile of "harley" parts marked XL Sportster. So yeah, they bolt on, but I have no idea where they came from. They are Showa - so I'm assuming aftermarket.

Roach - thanks for the info. I'm scratching my head right now about whether or not the these forks are supposed to the inner rebound springs on the damper tube. Looked at some books - some do, some don't. These didn't, but somehow I feel like they should.

Been doing some more fitting and fine tuning. Got the engine fully mounted and torqued, and have chain and rear axle all in place. About to run some oil line, and then start wiring some stuff.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #40
goaarongo

This sprocket cover is still not permanently in place (waiting on oil and electric) but looks like its gonna be awesome all fitted up. Way too much work went into that little piece of aluminum.

Need to go polish those pipes now. Cramming some baffles in them was a huge hassle. getting used to using hammers now.

The handlebars are slowly coming together. Not sure how I feel about this speedo... Wish my master cylinder was smaller too.

Last edited by goaarongo; 03-09-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #41
Rem

Really nice bike. My vote would be white tanks and fender, with red and blue graphics of some sort.
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #42
goaarongo

Decided I should throw a paint job together. Was digging the primered look, so I just had a few vinyl decals cut and sprayed a satin clear coat over it. Not sure how durable its gonna be, but for about 60 bucks I'm pretty pumped.

I think it looks like at least an $80 job. Here's the tank on the bike.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #43
goaarongo

After the oil tank was finished, I was able to run oil lines. That was more work than I anticipated...

That's supply, return, vent and a drain line. Got my sweet oil cooler on finally. That piece really makes the bike look tough I think.

My only real frustration with the end results are that I have one line crossing under the frame, right near the kickstand mount. There was just no other way I could figure out to route it. A couple of the turns were pretty tight too and jamming those hose barbs in place was tough on a couple connections. I also finished my forks and filled them with oil. The dropped front end was crushing the old boots down to far, so I swapped them out for a shorter, meaner set.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
goaarongo

Starting to look like a real bike now.

My speedo cable is probably too long though. Brakes lines are next.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #45
goaarongo

Finally pulling this thing together - got all the fluids done, and piecing together the last bits of wiring, etc...

Just in time too - I got extended an invitation to participate in the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show this coming weekend in Austin. Should be a good time motorcycle wise in Austin this weekend - MotoGP race and all. Check out the show here, I'm honestly honored to be a part of it:http://www.handbuiltmotorcycleshow.com/blog/

Here are a couple of the "glamor" shots I took to send them for the webpage. Not my favorites, but it was short notice...

If anyone is planning on going to this - maybe I'll see you there.

Tags
build, dirt tracker, fabrication, ironhead, project