1970 Shovelhead Build. - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
66knucklehead

Default Re: 1970 Shovelhead Build.

MarkWinch. Good to see a fellow TORONTONIAN that "GET'S IT". Props to the in-process build you have going on and can't wait to see the final touch on it.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
MarkWinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66knucklehead View Post
MarkWinch. Good to see a fellow TORONTONIAN that "GET'S IT". Props to the in-process build you have going on and can't wait to see the final touch on it.
Hey thanks man. Hopefully these problems get sorted out soon with the numbers etc.
MarkWinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #23
66knucklehead

Yup. Don't fuck around on the numbers and paperwork and all that other shit involved. Be a straight shooter from the get go. I have seen too many of my friends down here in Los Angeles get the runaround from the CHP (California Highway Patrol) and guess who is always the one that holds the cards??

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
lvvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWinch View Post
Hey thanks man. Hopefully these problems get sorted out soon with the numbers etc.
Yeah, get this straightened out or have you plan in place before you get too far into the project. Otherwise, the first time you get pulled over (and you will) you can say adios motorcycle!

Anyhow, looks like a good start and a fun project ahead. Good Luck!
lvvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
MarkWinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek43WLC View Post
Did the office run the vin number?
Wisest thing you can do, if you did previously, is to go to the Driver's Lisencing Center and ask for a "buyer's package" for the vin's you have...you will find out right away if its stolen.
If it isn't, good, if it turns out questionable, don't go to the office again with that vin.

And, a "rebuild" will probably have to go through a complete safety inspection by ??? not just a "transfer" $60 quicky safety inspection.

Derek
Yeah I took the ownership to the divers office. They ran it and it looked like it was all good. They were just concerned that the Bill of sale said it was a 1970's parts bike that i purchased. So the 2011 ownership for the frame, which obviously is registered as a kit bike, didnt match what the bill of sale was saying. Made it sound as if i just needed him to re write it as a 2011 frame in the bill of sale.

Now the next issue is what about the fact that either the numbers on the engine case are painted over or non existent.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #26
MarkWinch

Quote:
Yeah I took the ownership to the divers office. They ran it and it looked like it was all good. They were just concerned that the Bill of sale said it was a 1970's parts bike that i purchased. So the 2011 ownership for the frame, which obviously is registered as a kit bike, didnt match what the bill of sale was saying. Made it sound as if i just needed him to re write it as a 2011 frame in the bill of sale.

Now the next issue is what about the fact that either the numbers on the engine case are painted over or non existent.
The whole motor seems to be re built with everything painted with black paint. It's on there pretty thick and i cant determine if there is anything there number wise or if this is original or after market.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #27
offsetcrank

My experience in Ontario is that they won't register anything that does not have a proper title no matter what you do to play around with the numbers. If you have a bill-of-sale with numbers on it, that match your frame, they won't even allow you to register it until it is road-ready (certified). At one time you could register it as an Unfit Vehicle with a bill-of-sale but no more.

This means you have to spend a bunch of money making it look good before you've got a clear title no matter what the bike is called (1970 or 2011). Build the bike 'dry' with cheap spray paint and cheap new tires, enough to get the safety cert., and the title, before spending the money on custom parts and good paint. If you can find a good frame with a clear title, no matter what year it is, that will save you a pile of money and time too. Register the frame as an Unfit Vehicle then everything after that point will be easy.
offsetcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
MarkWinch

But do they make any fuss about motor #'s and such? The paint is on the crank case pretty thick so i cant even tell where the #'s are (if any).
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
Derek43WLC

Quote:
The whole motor seems to be re built with everything painted with black paint. It's on there pretty thick and i cant determine if there is anything there number wise or if this is original or after market.
Maybe I'm missing something here, you have an ownership...it's not for the frame and you can't see the vin on the case?
Check the case, carefully strip the paint off...it's located on the front, right side of the case. If you are looking at the cone, head on from the right side of the motor, it should be on a flat spot to the right of the cone.
If the vin cases don't match the ownership and the frame has no numbers, your ownership is useless for this rig.
Derek43WLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
MarkWinch

I have the frame. It has the VIN on it. I have the ownership which matches the VIN. The motor i have has been repainted at some time. I cant tell if its a original or a replacement crank case. I cant see any numbers on the motor.

I really dont care about the frame. I can get a new one. I'm wondering now wether anyone is going to fuss if it is a aftermarket case (which would have no #'s on it anyways), or if they #'s arent visible. I dont feel like stripping this thing just to find its no there.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
Derek43WLC

Quote:
I have the frame. It has the VIN on it. I have the ownership which matches the VIN. The motor i have has been repainted at some time. I cant tell if its a original or a replacement crank case. I cant see any numbers on the motor.

I really dont care about the frame. I can get a new one. I'm wondering now wether anyone is going to fuss if it is a aftermarket case (which would have no #'s on it anyways), or if they #'s arent visible. I dont feel like stripping this thing just to find its no there.
HD or Aftermarket, all cases should have numbers.
Aftermarket cases (frames, trannies, etc...) are issued with a MSO (which contains the numbers on the case).
Whether you scrape it or the cops will...paint is paint, I would sleep better if I knew my cases were matching or not (either way have an answer), you have the correct frame with the ownership, man, I'd check the cases...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
MarkWinch

are there any numbers on the inside of the cases? because everyone says check the outside but i dont know exactly where to look. everyone says right side bla bla bla. well im not going to sand down the whore right side because i dont know EXACTLY where to look. I thought i read somewhere that they are on the inside too
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #33
danisdead

oops

Last edited by danisdead; 02-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.
danisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
Derek43WLC

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	59169

I have attached a pic of my 1976 FLH showing the VIN location on the right case at the front ( where the red box is).

Mine is: *2A______H1*
The 2A is the motor type used for a FLH
Starts and ends with a star.

Derek

Last edited by Derek43WLC; 02-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
Derek43WLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisdead View Post
Look in the middle of the left case by the timing plug.
I do not think you are correct danisdead...
That is an earlier location before they went with also stamping the frames..
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #36
MarkWinch

I just talked to the guy. He sounded really surprised I was concerned about it. He said he got the stuff from someone in his family. He said he put 3 thick coats of paint on the motor before re assembling it after a re build and the numbers should all be there. He said if I was not happy with it i can bring it all back to him and give me my cash back. With the amount of help ive had from this guy as far as info and telling me what hes done etc i dont feel like hes trying to screw me over. On the other hand i dont want to go stripping the paint off to find nothing there and him not accept it back. Thats why I was wondering if there was any stamps on the inside of motor.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #37
Derek43WLC

Why anyone... would paint over a vin number, is beyond me...just asking for a hassle.
Best to have them exposed, visible for a road side inspection...and this will happen.
If in question, hook/strap and tow...
I would definately look in the area I showed in my previous post, either way you need to know...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #38
MarkWinch

i dont know. i want to sand down the paint and see whats under there. but i dont want to do that and then the guy wont take it back because i messed up the paint job. thats why i was looking to see if there are any other spots on the cases to look
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #39
Loffer

first thing i thought of when i saw the pics was how cool those pipes were.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #40
Loffer

Changing vin#s is wrong but the only way you are gonna go to jail for a swapped registration or inproperly registered bike is if you are on probation already and have trouble with the law already . ( you know who you are )Its not a big deal. Its a minor traffic violation , little ticket, court some money maybe, no jail time and your bike goes off the road. Beleive me I know I live in Copland and am related to a couple. Its wrong and your shit aint worth anything if you cant register it but you are not getting locked up. I have a couple bikes that are not #'s matching , as long as you have a tilte you can register it as a stock wahtever it is. Gotta have that title though. Nobody has ever checked my #s and i cant get an insection sticker or more than liability coverage , its just adds to the outlaw thing been doing it for years I have a small stack of titles Yes i know its stupid but i am sick of seeing the jail references its not drug trafficing people. Its just me taking back some of my civil liberties that have been stolen from us.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, project, shovel, shovelhead, vintage