let's talk seats for bit - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
dan r

Default let's talk seats for bit

I am no seat maker, wish I was.

I have a big twin 4 speed swing arm bike. The frame is a 64 that some may call a step down or drop seat frame. It's a frame that's more or less used 58-64 until electric start forced a minor frame profile change.

Right now I have a small solo seat mounted on a cut down oem seat tee on a stock pogo stick. The seat just don't make me happy. The way the bike is set up, the seating position not only looks bad, it's also quite uncomfortable. I would like to come up with a frame mounted seat but there is a wrench or two in the spokes. I want to be able to remove or pivot the seat up out of the way for quick oil tank access. I don't want to need tools to simply check the oil. I have no desire to make other changes to the bike past the seat.

Anyone have ideas, pix of anything you have done or seen like I may be looking for?

Thanks for any info you may have.

oh, here's the ugly seat bike I am tinkering around with...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muddy1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	256564  
dan r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
tomsoftail

Default Re: let's talk seats for bit

Tough to say for sure. Your bike is a nice rider but a chopper it ain't so a KnQ wouldn't sit right. The only other seats I have personally seen are really thick, chunky. Three pogo might be your best option outside of a custom pan.
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
magnum45pete

out of the aftermarket seats I think you'd be better of with a Corbin, they are well made with quality components, designed by riders who want comfort over many miles, drag spec ones look ok but lack the comfort of a Corbin, same for le Pera, Mustang and a few others I have tried including some factory seats !.. I know new Corbin seats are a shed load of beer tokens but good used ones are often on ebay, I got this one for about $125, it comes off in a second as it is held on with a QD pin on the rear so it's easy to get to oil tank & wiring, you can see the QD pin at the rear of the seat in the 3rd picture......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1515 (2).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	879.7 KB
ID:	256566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1546.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	256568   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1551.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	256570  

magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
joe49

Solo seat? Get the frame part of the stock buddy springs, make up a seat bracket that has 2 studs down into that and a post that goes into the Pogo hole. Will lift right off.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #5
750Devo

https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...?page=%2177364

https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...?page=%2174930

Some options if you want to go bolt on
Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
dan r

Thanks guys.
Was looking at my fxr that has a hinge on one side and a latch on the other. Always liked that but it wouldn't adapt to well.

After looking here and then at the links 750Devo put up, hummm… The front hinge adapter in the pogo stick hole is maybe something to think about.

What I don't want to do now is start drilling holes and welding on bits to the bike. I spent to much time fixing those types of things on this bike before it was painted.

Was also looking at a late model bike that has those clip on windshields, rear rack and saddle bags. Maybe make something that slips into the frame cross tube and then the seat clips on at the rear and retained with one of the spring wire clips.

hummm… hinge on the front, spring retainer clips at the rear of the seat. Sounds like a project. Now if it would only quit snowing and warm up in the barn...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
hammerweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post
Thanks guys.
Was looking at my fxr that has a hinge on one side and a latch on the other. Always liked that but it wouldn't adapt to well.

After looking here and then at the links 750Devo put up, hummm… The front hinge adapter in the pogo stick hole is maybe something to think about.

What I don't want to do now is start drilling holes and welding on bits to the bike. I spent to much time fixing those types of things on this bike before it was painted.

Was also looking at a late model bike that has those clip on windshields, rear rack and saddle bags. Maybe make something that slips into the frame cross tube and then the seat clips on at the rear and retained with one of the spring wire clips.

hummm… hinge on the front, spring retainer clips at the rear of the seat. Sounds like a project. Now if it would only quit snowing and warm up in the barn...
Here’s how I did it....
Used the original pivot point...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9382E09D-4CB8-42AE-8E39-F0F8932283F7.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	791.8 KB
ID:	256574   Click image for larger version

Name:	0CB4A7D4-94CD-469D-88F0-E2C3D70E4342.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	256576   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D6E9437-1A85-43E6-927A-17AA33376D3F.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	880.0 KB
ID:	256578  

Name:	217360DD-2105-4128-B2E8-E48077217919.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	256580  
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #8
dbkp

Can't go wrong with Hirschberg style. Several companies (V-Twin is one) have spring brackets that mount to the inside of the shock studs, and a nose bracket that mounts to the two holes in the casting on either side of the seat post. Or do the mount on the top of a tube that goes into the seat post hole like previously said
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!!!DICKH3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	256586  
Old 03-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
Ratso

[Why didn't bikes like Hirschberg's catch on in a big way? Too stock-looking? Or people who liked them bought Superglides instead? Or what?

Sorry, don't mean to pull this thread off track. I'll look for a Hirschberg discussion in the JJ archives.]
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
dan r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerweight View Post
Here’s how I did it....
Used the original pivot point...
Very nice, thanks for showing that.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
dan r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkp View Post
Can't go wrong with Hirschberg style. Several companies (V-Twin is one) have spring brackets that mount to the inside of the shock studs, and a nose bracket that mounts to the two holes in the casting on either side of the seat post. Or do the mount on the top of a tube that goes into the seat post hole like previously said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
[Why didn't bikes like Hirschberg's catch on in a big way? Too stock-looking? Or people who liked them bought Superglides instead? Or what?

Sorry, don't mean to pull this thread off track. I'll look for a Hirschberg discussion in the JJ archives.]
That bike was the inspiration I had to build mine. I didn't want a copy but my version of a like style. I wanted something of a super glide style before there were super glides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	muddy4.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	256588  
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post

Very common style in Chicago, back in the '70s and into the '80s.

Harley did copy it in the Superglide ,also.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Superglide.
Literally the answer to the OT question. The style did take off! Hirschberg built that bike in the late 60s if I recall rightly... the FX didn't exist; Willie G just copped it.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #14
47str8leg

You already have shocks . I just ride the rails .
Simple, slides into the pogo hole , pulls out easy. Barely moves when I'm riding from side to side.
Worked on these three bikes . The wide glide bikes version wrapped around the fender slightly though to negate the side to side a bit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6935.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	256590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6936.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	256592   Click image for larger version

Name:	last shot of knuckle before accident.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	256594  

Name:	tpan rebuild.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	256596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2131.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	256598  

Last edited by 47str8leg; 03-24-2020 at 04:24 PM.
47str8leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
snatchleeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post
I am no seat maker, wish I was.

I have a big twin 4 speed swing arm bike. The frame is a 64 that some may call a step down or drop seat frame. It's a frame that's more or less used 58-64 until electric start forced a minor frame profile change.

Right now I have a small solo seat mounted on a cut down oem seat tee on a stock pogo stick. The seat just don't make me happy. The way the bike is set up, the seating position not only looks bad, it's also quite uncomfortable. I would like to come up with a frame mounted seat but there is a wrench or two in the spokes. I want to be able to remove or pivot the seat up out of the way for quick oil tank access. I don't want to need tools to simply check the oil. I have no desire to make other changes to the bike past the seat.

Anyone have ideas, pix of anything you have done or seen like I may be looking for?

Thanks for any info you may have.

oh, here's the ugly seat bike I am tinkering around with...
nice bike and a nice seat, they just do not belong together.
snatchleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #16
46international

My bike '76 FLH had a terrible seat on it when I got it(was not a stock seat) and a buddy gave me a late model solo seat that he had taken off of his bike when it was new. What I did was modify the newer stock seat mounting bracket so that it had a post that fits in the tube on the frame. Then made supports that support the rear of the seat and rest on the frame side tubes just before the rear fender. Getting back to the post that fits into the tube on the frame, I drilled a 1/4" hole from the right side of the bike through the frame tube and through one side of the seat post. When I install the seat post into the frame tube I have a stainless steel pin with a spring loaded ball at the end that goes into that hole. So to install or remove the seat all I have to do is pull the small pin and pull the seat up, reverse to install.
About comfort and looks of your seat, I think mounting it as far back and as low as you can will help, this is what I did.
46international is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #17
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46international View Post
I drilled a 1/4" hole from the right side of the bike through the frame tube and through one side of the seat post. When I install the seat post into the frame tube I have a stainless steel pin with a spring loaded ball at the end that goes into that hole. So to install or remove the seat all I have to do is pull the small pin and pull the seat up, reverse to install.
on an old 45 chop I built in the late 70's I did something very much like this but on the 45 frame seat post tube there was a grease nipple a couple of inches down on the left side so all i did was to grind a flat in the round bar attached to the seat base and used a wing nut welded to a 1/2 long bolt & used that to hold it in untill i wanted the seat off, & for the rear two bolts under the seat i used allen bolts and Key Hole slotted the fender soas i undid & lifted the front the rear would come out of the key hole slots and it came off in seconds..........
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote