Alt left case Gen R case motor? - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-27-2020, 03:46 AM   #41
Mick93

Default Re: Alt left case Gen R case motor?

Great info in this thread, I actually have 2 of these engines on the go, 1 is S$S special order cases and the other is OEM case halves

pushing the limits since 67
Mick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 PM   #42
Stormin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post
to get things back on track with will this work or what works and more importantly what won't work...

to start with, the crankcase breather system changed slightly in 65 with an external breather port location. tin primary engines 64 and older had the passage that leads into the left case to blow on a primary chain, 65 - 69 had the passage exit from the right case. the 58-64 right cases can be modified to breathe without using the full passage that leads into the left case half. if you look closely at a 64 and older right case, there is a plug pressed onto the case that blocks the vent passage after it was drilled at the factory. I have welded a slug of aluminum and then drilled and tapped it to mount a fitting for a breather hose. it's a very easy but necessary modification that must be done?

I am running an engine within the years for the best combination as described in the post, a '62 right and a '72 left and '68 heads (not sure about the jugs). I purchased the motor assembled in a frame with a VIN so no issues with registration. I now have 15,000 miles on this bike now and have had no issues runs good and no oil leaks.
One thing I have been wondering about is: it seems to have a lot of pressure from the breather and is quite a loud air. I have it directed to the rear chain however very little oil is exhausted onto the chain. I was wondering if this is a normal result or if I can partially block the passage or install a filter of baffle.
I do like this case combo as it looks good, I do have a zero maintenance alternator and have electric start fitted.
I don't know much more about the motor than what I can see externally so I can't be of more help to know if the oil passages etc. are correct.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Breather hose is the brass elbow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GR9_1148.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	942.4 KB
ID:	256632   Click image for larger version

Name:	GR9_1149.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	897.1 KB
ID:	256634   Click image for larger version

Name:	GR9_1151.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	959.2 KB
ID:	256636  

Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #43
joe49

For rear chain oiling the factory pump has a line to the breather fitting coming off the pump cover with a oil adjusting screw.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #44
Stormin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
For rear chain oiling the factory pump has a line to the breather fitting coming off the pump cover with a oil adjusting screw.

This motor has an S&S oil pump and wasn't set up for a rear chain oiling and I have this vent so decided to use it to oil the chain. It's more the loud air sound I was concerned about.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #45
johnjzjz

it appears you have a good combo built by someone who knew what he was doing

anything you decide to change can and will eff that up - you will be sorry

we have done engine like that that ran 20 plus years with no issues

advice - leave it alone - ride it till its smokes noticeably
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #46
richbob

Johnj. smokes from the breather?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #47
Stormin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
it appears you have a good combo built by someone who knew what he was doing

anything you decide to change can and will eff that up - you will be sorry

we have done engine like that that ran 20 plus years with no issues

Well that is great news to hear that this can be a solid lasting engine!

The air from the crankcase is not an issue I can't live with, I was just wondering if perhaps this is normal and if I should dampen it in anyway, e.i. run the line back to the oil tank, add a restriction or filter. I won't change anything otherwise without good evidence that in improvement is made.

-ride it til it smokes noticeably?

I hope you are referring to the exhaust or do you mean a blow by situation...or either?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #48
johnjzjz

the breather smoke is combustion passing the piston rings - if its matched by more then normal oil usage then a concern - throwing money at something that uses a design from the 50s < reason open pipe to the engine as a vent in the 60s they added a - PCV valve

if you ever have taken a valve cover oil add cap off a 60s chevy while it was running you seen smoke come out - the PCV makes it a sealed system

today we add a PCV valve to all the open to the air before 1991 BT Harleys and all the original Indians we re do - the benefits out weigh any other idea

as far back as the 70s sportster had a PCV on a flapper valve right in front of the generator

stick a PCV valve on the end of the hose and see what happens
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote