Look Ma! No brakes! - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
weezil

Default Look Ma! No brakes!

Alright, firstly I wanted to let ya know I used the search function, well at least attempted to. I'm not sure if its this browser thats on the computer or what, but it yeilded me no results!
TO THE POINT
I see a lot of you are running without front brakes on your bikes, I've been riding for a number of years now and understand how effective they are at stopping a bike. How horrendous is it riding without em? I really want to shave my factory forks all nice and smooth and get a nice spool hub, but arkansas cagers are oblivious to the presence of bikes.. What do ya think? Do you have to have a death wish to ride without em?
05' KTM 450 Supermoto
The in pieces and soon to be chopped, bobbed, or whatever you want to call it
76 XLCH

"This is gonna' be bigger than gold teeth!"
-Billy Lane
weezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Destralo Roach

Default Re: Look Ma! No brakes!

Basically yes, you have to think ahead, and when your rear wheel is locked up, you cant use the motor to pullya down, so ride like a F16 fighter pilot in a combat situation!!!

.....Roach.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
sixball

I rode without a front brake for years along with a jockey shift with no problems. It really cleans up the bars and the front wheel. My current personal ride has a front brake, and I must say the only reason it does is because my new shop has an incline in it, and it dumps out into an alley and I have to make a sharp turn imediately after exiting. So, I went with a front brake just to make it easier to exit.

Try riding your current bike without using the front brake and you will see if you like it or can handle it before taking it off

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
cody

I was in a very bad accident this past year. Would a front brake have helped me? Quite possibly, I guess I'll never know. I rebuilt that bike without a front brake again but am currently building another bike that has one. We'll see.

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
weezil

A friend of mine used to ride with a guy who rode a jocky shift foot clutch with no front brake. He would come up behind him and put his front wheel against his back wheel to hold him up on hills if they had to stop.. I can see that being a pain in the ass very quickly.
05' KTM 450 Supermoto
76 XLCH

-Billy Lane
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Prairie

It depends on where you live. If you live in a major city, no way would I ride without one. If you live someplace hilly, no way would I ride without one. If you live in Iowa, North Dakota or someplace like that, go for it - there isn't that much to hit. But typically the front brake is handling 75% of the braking power when you brake because momentum shifts weight forward so you are losing a lot. In the 1970's when it was more popular, there was way less traffic out there.
Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Danny F.

The fact that you asked this question, I think it would be better for you to chose for a front brake on your scoot..
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
weezil

I've become quite used to usin' em. My supermoto has the most ridiculous front brakes on it I've ever experienced in my life. 320mm twin piston caliper with stainless lines on a bike that weighs like .. nothing. Its front tire is also as wide as the rear tire that came on my sporty. This is a transition for me, I don't foresee myself hauling quite as much ass on the "sportsturd" as I did on my previous bikes.. But slamming into a car going 40 on either of em' is the same no matter what.
05' KTM 450 Supermoto
76 XLCH

-Billy Lane
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Big Nick

I ride no front brake and foot clutch and true jockey on my bike in NY city. But I think DannyF is right, if you had to ask...
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

I know more people that have crashed from using the front brake, than people crashing using a rear only bike.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
hotsos

Deathwish!!

If that's how you roll, then its cool, but if you fear for your life from time to time, it may stress you out a bit riding with no real brake.
hotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
JLeather

Some of it depends on the design of the bike also. A bike with a ton of rake and a long frontend doesn't have much weight on the front wheel anyway, and a front brake isn't very effective on them. In that case a front brake can even be dangerous, cuz they lock up real easily if you aren't careful. My buddy has a Denvers with just a rear brake, atleast 50* of rake and a +20 over girder on the front, and it stops great. All the weight is on the rear anyway. A sportster with stock rake and no front brake is not gonna be as quick to stop because less of the weight is on the rear.
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
"LOUIE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny F. View Post
The fact that you asked this question, I think it would be better for you to chose for a front brake on your scoot..
Kinda like the person that ask "should i get a tattoo". Both of my bikes have no front brake and I live in Los Angeles. Its really sketchy. We have the worst drivers out here too. I'm building another bike now and i plan on mounting a front brake. The main reason is because i plan on using this bike to cruise my wife around on. Last thing i wanna see is my wife bounce off some fuck heads windshield. If your racing down the road and some chick turns out in front of you while shes texting her girlfriend about what color she should paint her nails, you better know that when you slam on the pedal your gonna lock up the rear...Learn to do the " hockey slide".. been there done that..its not fun. Before you shave your legs, run it without a brake and see if its for you or not. if you dig and feel comfortable then bust out the shaving cream.
"LOUIE" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
krazykooter

Be different & safe ~ Run a front brake!
Ya Ya Ya! But I won't look cool if run a front brake ! BS is what it is BS!
krazykooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
skootnshov

Send a message via AIM to skootnshov

I run an old pan drum on the front, hand shift. I only use it for holding me in place on hills and shit. From my experience it doesn't slow me down or even begin to stop me and the bike. I tried new shoes and adjusting the brake tension over and over. Always ended up with the same result. I'm rebuilding the bike now and I plan on keeping it there. Even though it doesn't do much it does give me a sense of safety, Like wearing a helmet.
skootnshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Markee

The engine/rear brake set ups work great until some fat bastard pulls out in front of you at 6:30pm heading to the buffet. Then the front brake is nice.
Markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Loffer

If you have a rear brake that sucks and no front thats pretty nuts. I have a chop that has great front brakes and terrible rears and isnt any better that way. You just have to anticipate stops earlier. Its not for everyone. i have rode bikes where the people told me the brakes dont work right and to me they worked fine, not like a factory bike but enough to stop. I guess its what you are used too and what your opinion of "safe" is.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Jeepster

Better to have it and not need it...the reasoning of"it cleans up the bars and front end" doesnt fly,its not worth the chance of dying for aethsetics.Dont copromise safety for a "cool' look.Just my opinion....
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
flat out

does kleen up things back there..
kk
flat out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
takehikes

With as good as brakes are these days I would never run without a front brake or two. If I ran without a front I'd damn sure have a disc out back and not a drum. Yeah, you can get a drum to work pretty well but the disc is much more reliable. Without a doubt the front end looks much cleaner without the brakes but I'll take it looking a little less sleek for the ability to haul ass and stop too!
takehikes is offline   Reply With Quote