painting tank with spray cans?? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
jessee

Default painting tank with spray cans??

Hey guys I painted my tank with duplicolor spray cans and I have been having a bitch of a time trying to pull off my pinstripe tape. I preped my tank, then primed it, let dry sprayed small silver flake for the base. let it dry, pinstriped it with 3m pinstripe tape 1/8th wide. sprayed my color then masked off the color and spray black.
did this all the same last year and no problems now this year when i peel the pinstripe tape off i pull all the color and flake down to the primer???
can anyone give some advice on painting with rattle cans?

Last edited by jessee; 03-26-2014 at 09:02 AM.
jessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
jessee

Default Re: painting tank with spray cans??

here is the other side.

Last edited by jessee; 03-26-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
sixball

Are you pulling it off when still wet? Or letting it dry ?

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
jessee

i tried both. first i let the silver flake dry over a night or two. then next laid the tape then sprayed color. let it sit over night then painted black
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
jessee

every time it pulls the paint
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
WhiteFox

You should be peeling it before the paint cures, and pull the tape parallel to the surface. Spray can paint isn't exactly formulated to be used with pinstripe.
WhiteFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
badassbrutus

Sounds like the paint wasnt completly cured before ya taped it up.or ya didnt sand the primer before you topcoated it.

AKA...Hemi Head
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
hogster

Location: find the nicest trailer in the park,I live under it

some of the pinstriping tape is meant to be used alone.make sure you get what they call blueline it is for painting.it's blue and releases easier than the other stuff.good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Stinky Pete

Agree with Hogster. I would say if the same process worked last time you might have a bad batch of tape, which happens.

My blog - http://garagebuilt.wordpress.com/
Stinky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
badassbrutus

Dont use that blue tape from the hardware store for home paints they bleed thru always.use 3m..

AKA...Hemi Head
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
calicruiser

you cant tape on metallics or flake, it will peel up like it is. You have to clear the flake, let dry, wetsand and then lay your tape and continue.
calicruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Bodyworx

Peel at a really sharp angle and whatever you do .... don't spill gas on it .... it will be game over !!
Bodyworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Infidel 3-7

Make sure your base is cured, wipe it down with a damp rag let dry. Use the good 3m when you pull it off a roll tape it to your T-shirt then put it on your tank after you tape wipe down the area to be painted with tac cloth. as soon as your done painting within about 5 minutes pull your tape off the less time you have the tape on the better.

Do yourself a favor and use the search function for rattle can paint jobs and you will find a lot more helpful info some dudes do this shit for a living and got it on lockdown. I am not one of them.
Infidel 3-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
FlameThrower

All the advice here is great... rattle-can is more prone to pull up than urethanes sprayed from a gun. I prefer to allow the paint to cure more rather than less, before removing the tape. Remove the tape slowly, at a severe angle to the surface, and directly in-line with the tape (don't pull it from the side).

If it's pulling off the primer, be sure to wet-sand the primer before applying the basecoat. Use somewhere between 400-grit and 600-grit to wet-sand the primer... too coarse and the sanding marks will show but too fine and the surface gets so smooth the masking tape will pull off the paint from the primer.

The 3M blue tape is good, but I've found that I prefer the fine-line crepe tapes much better because they do not "creep" if stretched and they pull off very nicely.

Good luck with it and post your results.

www.flamethrowercustoms.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
FlameThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Billy Whiz

Hey excuse me for chipping in with a quick Q: I was searching thru some other threads but just wanted to confirm from ppl with actual experience if poss? - I am gonna paint stripes on my narrowed sporty tank when I'm done fabbing it - using Duplicolor - Q: is it OK to use Duplicolor etch primer - then same brand primer - then the Dup color rattle can paint - finally use Spraymax 2k clear for a gas resistant finish - am I reading the process correctly & any issues with my chosen combo? I think the advice here on tape is really helpful btw.. Billy

I did a few mins research - answered my own Q: Spraymax 2k goes over most paints if dried properly.. Use a mask too!

Last edited by Billy Whiz; 04-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Billy Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
WhiteFox

IMHO, there's a right way and a wrong way to paint tins. The right way is to use automotive urethene paint, theres a how to do in on the cheap on chop cult. I made a post a few days ago on how I painted my shit. https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...7&postcount=19

Using enamel/laquer spray cans is like setting yourself up for failure and it's not gas resistant. Not to say it can't be done.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
FlameThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
IMHO, there's a right way and a wrong way to paint tins. The right way is to use automotive urethene paint, theres a how to do in on the cheap on chop cult. I made a post a few days ago on how I painted my shit. https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...7&postcount=19

Using enamel/laquer spray cans is like setting yourself up for failure and it's not gas resistant. Not to say it can't be done.

Although I agree with the fact that painting chopper tins with automotive basecoat-clearcoat using catalyzed primer is the best method, I salute the guys who take rattle-can in-hand and get after it.

I'm a custom painter, so I have all the proper equipment, knowledge and tricks up my sleeve. But I've seen some really cool rattle-can jobs that just leave me scratching my head about how they did them with such a rudimentary process as rattle-canning!

Actually, the SprayMax 2K rattle-can clearcoat is gas-resistant. I've never used it... since I simply clearcoat with a spray-gun in my home spray booth... but have heard great reviews. It's a rattle-can of clearcoat with a container of catalyst inside the can... somehow you rupture the catalyst container, dispersing the catalyst into the clearcoat, and spray it. Pretty cool idea and finally a method to allow rattle-canners to spray gas-resistant clearcoat.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
WhiteFox

Yes, my paint shop guy carries that clear in a can. There is a can inside the can that you release by hitting the bottom of the can with a button then shake it up. The only downside is that you have to use it within 48 hours, and it costs more per Ounce as compared to a quart of clear.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
FlameThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
Yes, my paint shop guy carries that clear in a can. There is a can inside the can that you release by hitting the bottom of the can with a button then shake it up. The only downside is that you have to use it within 48 hours, and it costs more per Ounce as compared to a quart of clear.
The price is definitely pretty outrageous... like $20 per can. And I'm not sure how they even get it to last for 48 hours... must be due to being sealed into the can like
it is. A quart of HOK's UC35 costs $40, a half-pint of catalyst costs $25 and a quart of RU-310 costs $20... for that $85, I can clearcoat 3 or 4 complete bikes!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
jcs64

Take off the tape as soon as you can!
From start to finish, both my rattle can jobs took less than 3-4 hrs.
(not including prep time)
heres a link to my Lace job:
https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45473

heres that bike, three yrs later, except for some scratches and chips, It still looks just as it should.

and my '00 buell

jcs64 is offline   Reply With Quote