This is the designated "how much is it worth" thread..... - Page 76 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #1501
Okiecockfighter

Default Re: This is the designated "how much is it worth" thread.....

No thread just getting started ... Looks like pan exhaust eont clear needs to be a Shovelhead ... So prolly swap motors it had a gen shuv in it I posted a pic on the end of the Denver's page I plan on building it this winter

http://stores.ebay.com/countrysideda...p2047675.l2563
Okiecockfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #1502
imwastefull

I have a buddy selling these Fairbanks Mags. He's asking $375 for the pair to build one good mag. I'd like to put in on a cone shovel.

wondering if these are worth the $375 and curious what it will cost me to buy the cone and rebuild one to get it on my 1974.

thanks man!

imwastefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #1503
pitbovver

hutch jr and/or lugi...
pitbovver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #1504
image1

gonna have $250-400 in a rebuild (recharge magnets, points, condensor, etc)

depends what kind of cone you want... morris vertical? burkhardt? hunt horizontal? you are going to have at LEAST $400 in a cone.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #1505
imwastefull

I dont have a preference if its horizontal or vertical, my main concern is price (which rules out a burkhart!) I just want to build a mag on a budget. But, if these prices are accurate, I might be better off on dropping the $1000+ on a brand new mag?

anyone have a line on a used mag cone?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #1506
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwastefull View Post
I dont have a preference if its horizontal or vertical, my main concern is price (which rules out a burkhart!) I just want to build a mag on a budget. But, if these prices are accurate, I might be better off on dropping the $1000+ on a brand new mag?

anyone have a line on a used mag cone?
There's a cone and mag setup for sale on the other chopper board right now...
govmule84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #1507
pitbovver

i believe i spoke with the same gentleman regarding these parts and more, looking for a dana 44 wide track rear?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #1508
imwastefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbovver View Post
i believe i spoke with the same gentleman regarding these parts and more, looking for a dana 44 wide track rear?
Yes sir! I told him that I wasn't interested and he turned into a SUPER dickhead. I hope you're buying them or you're in for quite a tongue lashing.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #1509
pitbovver

OT,

from what i gather the particular rear end he is looking for is ~ $800
i was gonna try to grab all his stuff and run it out to harrisburg swap, but no such luck, doubt he has 800 worth of stuff there anyway..who knows...
Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #1510
crush1776

I'd hate to do it but may have to sell my flatty motor, trans, and offset front end.

1946 UL but has 13 fin heads so I'm guessing 80ci. Was told it was rebuilt like 10 years ago. Assuming it was and I pull the heads/ cam cover off to verify, what do you guys think? I have a linkert m-51 to go with it as well. Cases are painted, how I received them, I wouldn't have but cest 'la vie.

crush1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #1511
panhead_pete

Value of the engine is driven mostly by the VIN pad and title. Any info on that?

Thanks
Pete
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #1512
crush1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Value of the engine is driven mostly by the VIN pad and title. Any info on that?
VIN pad is pure as the driven snow. I have a clean FL title in my name, but it is titled as a 1974 HD Special Construction, I don't know why, wasn't an issue for me when I acquired it. Clean titles are relatively easy nowadays through Vermont though, For Pete's sake it's a big twin flathead!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #1513
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush1776 View Post
VIN pad is pure as the driven snow. I have a clean FL title in my name, but it is titled as a 1974 HD Special Construction, I don't know why, wasn't an issue for me when I acquired it. Clean titles are relatively easy nowadays through Vermont though, For Pete's sake it's a big twin flathead!!!
That sounds very weird and dramatically effects value. Wouldn't a '74 be titled by frame numbers? What ever happened to the rest of the bike?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #1514
crush1776

FL is a weird state, DMV is a weird organization. People do some weird things. There is a Paughco frame and I have some wheels oil tank and seats and fenders to make a whole bike, but the value is in the motor trans and front end. I am not concerned one bit about how this bike is titled if I build it for myself. I have read ad nauseam about the titling ins and outs here and elsewhere so I'm not interested in getting into that here. Forget I said anything about a title.

Anyone have an idea about the value of this motor, trans, and front end with a bill of sale, or should I move on?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #1515
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
FL is a weird state, DMV is a weird organization. People do some weird things. There is a Paughco frame and I have some wheels oil tank and seats and fenders to make a whole bike, but the value is in the motor trans and front end. I am not concerned one bit about how this bike is titled if I build it for myself. I have read ad nauseam about the titling ins and outs here and elsewhere so I'm not interested in getting into that here. Forget I said anything about a title.

Anyone have an idea about the value of this motor, trans, and front end with a bill of sale, or should I move on?
Too late to forget, the bike is titled as a special construction and it has nothing to do with Florida. The aftermarket frame is why it was titled that way, just as any state would do. That's why it never makes sense to put a pre '69 motor into a numbered frame, aftermarket or oem. Once frame numbers exist, they override the motor number.

Does your motor have a tag on it or did they just use the numbers from the Paughco frame for a vin number?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #1516
crush1776

Only number on the title is the engine #. No #'s on the frame. I could throw this title in the trash and sell the motor with a BOS. I could do the legwork and obtain a clean VT title as a 1946 Harley with the engine # on it. I could buy a pre 1970 frame and slap it in there to please the rigid minded folks that insist on things being a certain way. I understand that once you reframe something with a non pre-70 factory frame you are supposed to get a special construction title, but that doesn't always happen does it? This is the way I bought it, this is the way it was titled in FL at some point. Bottom line is I am the legal owner of this set up and I would show my papers to "the man" with confidence and without fear of seizure. We could go back and forth on this all day, if you have an idea of Some $ #'s I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'd like to hear from someone who does, thanks.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #1517
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Only number on the title is the engine #. No #'s on the frame. I could throw this title in the trash and sell the motor with a BOS. I could do the legwork and obtain a clean VT title as a 1946 Harley with the engine # on it. I could buy a pre 1970 frame and slap it in there to please the rigid minded folks that insist on things being a certain way. I understand that once you reframe something with a non pre-70 factory frame you are supposed to get a special construction title, but that doesn't always happen does it? This is the way I bought it, this is the way it was titled in FL at some point. Bottom line is I am the legal owner of this set up and I would show my papers to "the man" with confidence and without fear of seizure. We could go back and forth on this all day, if you have an idea of Some $ #'s I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'd like to hear from someone who does, thanks.
You are the legal owner of an assembled bike, taking it apart is on you.

You mentioned "I understand that once you reframe something with a non pre-70 factory frame you are supposed to get a special construction title, but that doesn't always happen does it?"

That's when a chance is taken. Nothing might ever happen, but at some point something can or in this case, resale comes into play. And yes that is the way it's titled, the bike, not the motor. So yeah you got it that way, but you can also sell it the way you got it. You are now splitting up the bike.

Here is what I would do: Sell the frame with the title.

The only concern is if that title has a mention of the motor number in the dmv files. I wouldn't worry about it, but it is possible.

Get a title for the motor, it's easier to sell that way. And yes I have an idea of worth, but your situation is beyond just value.

Titled motor = $5000 to $6000
Transmission = $1000 to $1200

Can't comment on the springer. Is the monroe shock oem, is there a hole in the neck stem for a neck lock? Any modifications? OEM offset springers can bring in anywhere from $1200 and up.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #1518
crush1776

OK, thank you for your input. Fairly certain the shock is oem, no mods that I can see, can't remember about a hole or not in the stem.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #1519
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK, thank you for your input. Fairly certain the shock is oem, no mods that I can see, can't remember about a hole or not in the stem.
Mid '46 through '47's did not have the hole as the Knuckle frame did not have a neck lock. They '48's have the hole in the neck stem for the frame lock. The casting number on the front leg can help to determine year as well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #1520
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Narrowing down springer years by the casting number, good discussion:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...correct-number