Welders...be careful. - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #41
gapwelder

Default Re: Welders...be careful.

Great information, We are used to the typical "cover their ass" warnings the lawyers put on all the cans and forget how dangerous some of this stuff is. Maybe a warning like this would get our attention:

"Breathing this shit WILL cause impotence, baldness, loss of ability to taste beer and dick shrinkage. Absorbance through the skin WILL cause your pecker to fall completely off". Use at your own risk.
gapwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #42
snowman

Will definitely pass this on...
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #43
chopperkid13

Send a message via AIM to chopperkid13

I just dont understand why someone was even useing a chemical to clean before welding. I have been a welder for 7 years and have been doing it professionally for 3 years. Never once have I used a chemical to "prep" for welding. If it is oily, I clean with dish soap. All I have ever used is abrasives. A good weld is a clean weld and a clean weld is created with no contaminates.

thejadedandfaithless.tumblr.com -Choppers, chicks, hot rods, and other shit.

chopperkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #44
Lurkingclass

Thank you for posting this. I've worked as a welder for almost 10 years and I had no idea of that hazard. I've had galv/metal poisoning a few times from welding inside of infectious control barriers at hospitals (without an APR), and shrugged it off when the chills/nausea/fever/etc. went away. Then I started taking OSHA classes and in my respiratory protection class, I found out about manganese poisoning (manganism) and it scared the shit out of me. I've had every damn symptom for years and never realized it. I'm not welding for a living any more, and most of the symptoms eventually subsided, but I do wonder about the long term effects. If you're going to weld, be aware of the potential dangers, however small you think the risk is. And if you're welding galvanized, make sure your respirator is a NIOSH approved APR (P100 is best)- not a dust mask.
Lurkingclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #45
justin m.

also tig welding amd brass rod, creates the same compounds as nerve gas...
one inhale and its over...silicone brass is okay...not brass rod fro brazing though
justin m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #46
XbrooklynX

Send a message via AIM to XbrooklynX

This stuff scares me.
XbrooklynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #47
ngarff

Wow! Thanks! I use brake cleaner a lot to weld. Not anymore! I will definitely be more careful in the future!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #48
Buzz Kanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs64 View Post
hopefully they will see this thread and see that the word is being spread

Jeff
Yup, I read it here and a few other places. We are getting a terrific response to this article and feel this kind of info must be shared. Thanks Brew Dude for telling us about it so we can further spread the word.
Buzz Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #49
snortonnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by '51plymouth View Post
No shit...all that stuff is nasty. A few years back I got zinc'd from welding on some galvanized (it was painted, so when I ground off the paint, you couldn't see the galvanization)...got poisoned sooo fuckin bad. Ever since then my metal prep process has gone: wire wheel, engine degreaser, soap & water, soap & water again, compressed air, wire wheel...then weld. Now the only thing that's gonna kill me is the welding fumes, and all my other vices...
If I weld on aluminized exhaust pipe, can that also poison me like galvanized? is zinc in both of them?

I need to know before I get my exhaust bends in and build my exhaust. (I'm not even sure they'll be aluminized, I just read that a lot of exhaust pipe is....)
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #50
Markee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperkid13 View Post
I just dont understand why someone was even useing a chemical to clean before welding. I have been a welder for 7 years and have been doing it professionally for 3 years. Never once have I used a chemical to "prep" for welding. If it is oily, I clean with dish soap. All I have ever used is abrasives. A good weld is a clean weld and a clean weld is created with no contaminates.
What process are you using mostly?
Markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #51
hatch
Banned

A few years ago I had double vision, dizzy spells, etc etc etc....I've had doctors check me out and just guess what the problem is, but they really don't know.....I DO know chemicals are the cause, from doing heavy collision repair and painting for years. EVERYTHING chemical that we use is bad news, especially when welding over it. Read the labels...it'll freak ya out.
Brew...thanks for telling the story....I'm sure you will save some lives....either now, or later.
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #52
moparkevin

That is no joke, my father was a welder and He breathed in everything bad in his 30 years.... went to his mind.. He started to forget normal everyday things, and kept getting worse until he passed away at 50 from demensia that finally shut down his motor skills... f'n scary what you breath in when welding...

http://rageforeverdienever.blogspot.com/
moparkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #53
Trip

I got Galvanised a few years ago welding double Gal beams, pains in the chest, dizzy and thought I was going to throw up, thought I was having a heart attack, it was that bad I went to the doctor, couldn't drive, fuck me up for about 3 day's, now all welding is done in a well ventilated environment with the least amount of leaning over close to the work, once bitten twice shy, you gotta stay alert guys and we need more lert's around here !
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #54
chopperkid13

Send a message via AIM to chopperkid13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post
What process are you using mostly?
MIG and TIG. I will sand blast, glass bead, sand, grind or use whatever abrasive is most appropriate for whatever Im welding. I would understand why someone would use a chemical to prep, but think about it...heating that chemical that you are using to prep to 1,000s of degrees...cant be good. There isnt a chemical in the world I would heat up like that and breath in its fumes. I wouldnt even want to breath the fumes from burning dish soap.

thejadedandfaithless.tumblr.com -Choppers, chicks, hot rods, and other shit.

chopperkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #55
Tman

Steve, thanks for writing that article, sorry what you had to go through to learn it tho..glad you are still among us.

I sent the story out to our other 5 terminals so the shop guys could see it.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #56
Billy Whiz

It's a really shocking story and I winced at what Brewdude has gone thru - hope he continues to recover. What is equally shocking is how close I have come to doing the same thing - although at the time I was completely ignorant of the risk: that was at the start of my welding career - after I got more confident I stopped faffing around cleaning everything - I just dry clean the area with some wire wool actually and it seems to work fine. I have watched folk spray WD40 on welds to make them look shiny - then weld right next to the sprayed area! It's a frickin wonder any of us are still breathing really..!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #57
crebo

I've used Acetone in the past, but screw that, i aint using shit but abrasives and soap and water from now on... I've only been welding a few years just brackets, struts, small stuff etc... You all are scaring the shit out of me
Old 11-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #58
Rob Axel

Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna burn a bunch of copies and drop them off at the Tech school I get my drops from.
Rob Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #59
chaoscycle

wow i was un aware of that my self, i printed it out and put it on everybodys toolboxes. the amount of knowledge steve has is amazing and it would be terrible to lose him,
Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #60
el diablo

i know my lungs are fucked ,i've been a metallshaper /welder for over 20 yrs now
(and i smoke) .....i just know the welding has a lot to do with my health issues
it gave me a kind of astma
and i know for a fact ...that the symtoms in this story are the same i had on several occasions

thanks man for the link ...i will be thinkin about my future welding jobs
i normaly use brake cleaner too for "old greasy" metall >before welding
el diablo is offline   Reply With Quote