Magneto / Generator question. - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
"LOUIE"

Default Magneto / Generator question.

I have an 80" 49 pan motor. I Plan on running a magneto. Any idea if this generator is the correct one.. DGV 5000 L ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	170169  
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Dave B

Default Re: Magneto / Generator question.

That one in your picture is 12 volt . Your bike is opriginally a 6 volt system. Or convert to a -65A 12 volt H-D generator. Call Cycle Elecrtic.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
FredoTwoWheels

From what I understand, the difference between the CE 12v models is the later harleys had larger mounting holes, so the the later generator wouldn't fit in the old 6v engines. To make them fit, CE made a 12v generator with smaller mounting bolts for the older engines. But I would make a measurement first, you may find that whoever rebuilt the motor as 80" may have already expanded the mounts to accommodate a 12v. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
From what I understand, the difference between the CE 12v models is the later harleys had larger mounting holes, so the the later generator wouldn't fit in the old 6v engines. To make them fit, CE made a 12v generator with smaller mounting bolts for the older engines. But I would make a measurement first, you may find that whoever rebuilt the motor as 80" may have already expanded the mounts to accommodate a 12v. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Pan, up to '57, smaller threads (1/4) in generator. From '58 to '64, larger threads in generator (5/16). The case for the later is drilled larger. All the cycle electric 12 volt generators have the 5/16 thread, but you can install specific heli coils for the bastard 1/4 thread. Or as mentioned, if the holes were opened up on his case, then just use the 5/16 bolts.

Call about the application. The "L" version is for low voltage, kick start, small battery. Not sure about a magneto though. They have good tech support.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
old.wrench

Louie,

It will work.
Your really talking about about two separate systems, the generator charging system and the magneto ignition system.

As mentioned, Cycle Electric makes two different versions of that 12 volt generator system. The low-output one was designed for running the small 12 volt batteries like the little 12 volt 5.5 amp one that many guys, myself included, have used. The standard higher output generator tends to overcharge the small batteries if the batteries aren't properly maintained.
The bolt pattern (center to center spacing) is the same on all the generators. The only difference is that the later generators used a larger diameter bolt. It's a simple matter to heli-coil the holes in the later model generator to accept the early 1/4-24 mounting bolts. The other alternative is to drill out the case and the cover to take the later 5/16 bolts.

The problem with drilling out the case and cover, beside the obvious "historic old iron abuse" is that you may not be able to get 5/16" generator mounting bolts in a finish that matches the rest of the cam cover fasteners.

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.wrench View Post
The problem with drilling out the case and cover, beside the obvious "historic old iron abuse" is that you may not be able to get 5/16" generator mounting bolts in a finish that matches the rest of the cam cover fasteners.
These would fix that problem:

http://jedscycleproducts.com/product...nerator_screws
Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
"LOUIE"

Thanks everyone. Gonna call CE as well.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
old.wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
Ray (saddlebagrabrail or whatever his name is?) from Canada makes the stainless ones too. The available selection of the 5/16" generator bolts in cad or park. with the correct head is where you run into problems

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote