Jockey Journal Forum banner

Home made workshop tools

1M views 362 replies 161 participants last post by  richbob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to see what kind of homemade tools and stuff you guys have... I've already heard of a few.

One guy said a washing machine motor for a buffer.

Also saw a drill in a vice and a grinder become a lathe.

What else ya'll got?

#34 ·
I've been in the mood to make some items for the garage. I'll get pics of my metal brakes, english wheel, and parts washer and post them up. In the mean time....bump.

#41 ·
Great thread!
Worlds simplest wheel truing stand. If you`re just building a single or more similar wheels there`s really no need to go further than this. A piece of rod (old wheelaxle) welded onto a piece of square tubing:
Wood Tool Table Workbench Toolroom

Idiophone Saw Gas Machine Metal

Simple press. Not very sturdy but good enough to press the crank out of a shovel
Wood Rectangle Gas Machine Electric blue

#60 ·
Great thread!
Worlds simplest wheel truing stand. If you`re just building a single or more similar wheels there`s really no need to go further than this. A piece of rod (old wheelaxle) welded onto a piece of square tubing:
View attachment 34201
View attachment 34202
Was about to build a trueing stand of "usual" design this weekend. Seeing this definetely changed my mind and saved a few hours of fabbing....Thanks! Gonna modify it a bit to use it as a balancing stand also. Using a hunk of 3" angle insteade of tube cause I have it available....Thanks again.

#45 ·
I made a sweet metal hammer out of one of these gas canister caps...

All you have to do is put a peice of one inch OD pipe through the holes in the cap and weld it up, I used about a foot long handle and it works great as a hammer and as a dolly too. The best thing is that it cost me $10 from tractor supply and took about 5 minutes to make. Already straightened out an old fender and made a seat pan with it. Works like a champ...

#69 ·
If you don't have the space or finances for a full size (upright) band saw,
turn your port-a-band into a mini (upright) band saw.
Make a little table where the guide bar goes, tape or clamp trigger "on" and plug in and unplug for switching on and off.
Or mount an inline switch on cord.
Clamp in vise and you're good to go.
Works great for small parts making, quick cuts etc.

skinny

Photobucket