The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #41
Matt289

Send a message via Yahoo to Matt289
Default Re: The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes

Between
2 wheel nation & Scorcher you guys hit it right on the head!
I think that basically answers my question.
Hope that people use that as a guideline before posting jap content now.
-Matt289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #42
Scorcher
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Scorcher Send a message via Yahoo to Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_wheel_nation View Post
i find it interesting that there are people on this board who don't know that cb750's are "traditional" in the chopper scene. i'm sure this is what Ryan is getting at when he says some jap bikes will be allowed. ed roth was chopping them the second they came out. viragos, kz's, xs's, rebels, intruders, savages, on the other hand...

Doesnt mean we have to like it. We didnt like it when Honest Charley built ground effect kits for El Caminos.

This goes back to executing a very well built hand fabbed bike. The Hondas that are on this board arent of the caliber of the "70's" traditional chopper scene.

-Jason

-Jason

Last edited by Scorcher; 07-28-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #43
telecaster_6

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a few years, and I say this change is the best thing i've seen on here, or the hamb...ever! I too have, and have owned jap cafe bikes and bobbers, and i have no problem with not seeing the mass amounts of posts related to them.

I wish the HAMB would start to weed out some of the B.S. as well. I have almost abandoned the HAMB, it has simply gotten out of control with the number of posts, more specifically the number of practically useless posts. I started frequenting the jockey journal more because its wasnt flooded with the same ol' crap that the HAMB was being choked with. This isnt taking a shot at Ryan or any of the other moderators on the HAMB, its simply out of their control.
Though this may seem as a virtual two wheeled ethnic cleansing, I think it will restore alot of the quatlity this forum has to offer.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #44
Speed King

Really looking forward to the changes. Great deal for the classifieds too. I don't look at the forum changes as a matter of negativity but as a matter of focus. I like checking out cool vintage Jap stuff and I remember a time when that was all anyone I knew could afford. That segment is large enough to have it's own forum and would be better served as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #45
joe-the-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydean View Post
Looks like i better refinance the house so I can be cool on here now
It does take alot of commitment to build bikes, time , money, both my bikes have set me back in other areas in my life, ive sold things i loved for the glory of choppers ive spent money i didnt have, ive pissed off my girl to no end spending hours in the garage, your comment offends me a little, ive seen so many slapped together xs650's! When i see a guy with an era correct pan or shovel thats full of vintage and hand made parts thats commitment that bike cost him somthing other than money that's respectable....
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #46
TJSTILES

First of, thank you for having this board in existence, i feel privileged to be able to have such an amazing resource of knowledge at my fingertips.

Im never one to take things personally really and i totally understand bringing something like this board back to the roots and im in full support.
im a sponge for knowledge and i love reading about the bsa's Royal Enfields, trumps and harleys on here and that always sets me off running to some websites to look at and learn more about bikes that i want to learn how to work on.
so im not in any way biased to the metric crowd.

I built an 06 shadow into a sweet little ride,
sure some of it looks like crap and some of it looks cool, and im pretty confident some people will call my bike a pile of horse manure.
im ok with that, i ride on two wheels and an engine. and i have fun, =)

Everything ive done to my bike ive done myself with hand tools, borrowed tools, and from trial and error. and with the little resources i had, ive spent hours learning everything on my own, i have however gotten some good help and ideas form this board. awesome place really. ill be sad to see some of the metric crowd go away but i do think having a section for metrics only would be cool. not that what i think really holds any weight.

im in full support of the redirecting, but i would definitely appreciate a small metric section, stuff like the cafe's and the "bobber" style bikes.

keep up the good work and again, thank you very much
Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #47
Hammered

I dont care what the bike is. If its here, I think I can learn a little from the build.
I got my lunchbox and Im armed real well
Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
fuckwinter

well i will prob get crucified for this but oh well.

when i started lurking here a couple years ago, i never even knew there was some sort of a "mission statement" regarding what was cool/what was allowed/etc. I didnt create this forum and as such i am free to leave, join, lurk or post. I have never been one who had a sworn allegiance to 1 brand or another. I prefer American things, but have respect for those who buildwhat they can with what skills and parts they have.

i too have noticed an influx of far more general questions like "how do i change my oil" or "will this seat fit my Flyrite". they may be trite to some, but to the person asking the question it may mean a lot. course they could be a lazy ass and just not doing any research. Yes there are a billion forums out there but I was inspired MOST by this one. If there is a thread i dont dig i just dont read it.

It seems a bit elitist to fashion out a certain population based on engine make in order to essentially try to get as close to 100% "cool" threads. Seems like it could end up being a group of 15 people who just talk all day with each other instead of hundreds that might offer different ideas. I guess in a perfect world it would be a great blend of well thought out posts and info meshed with the cool factor that the old iron and brit iron bring.

I have a basket BSA and a bunch of jap shit and 2 newer HD's - one i spent 2 years on and 1 i just signed a loan for. I may not be happy that the place no longer welcomes what i have worked hard to build, but i also respect that a line has to be drawn somewhere and it is the right of the forum developers to decide what that line is. I'll still be on here and hope to be able to contribute in some way and learn as I have been. There will still be a ton of inspiration.

sorry for long post. look forward to seeing how the site grows.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #49
mad750

Send a message via AIM to mad750

"This goes back to executing a very well built hand fabbed bike. The Hondas that are on this board arent of the caliber of the "70's" traditional chopper scene."

-Jason

I lurked for a while before posting. I posted my CB750 only because it is a "traditional" custom from the 70's and only post pics in the right thread. 2 wheel was right when he said CB750's are part of the traditional chopper scene. Some of you might have seen it and even laughed at it when I lost a header and didn't realize it. LOL!! I contribute when I have the knowledge and post pics when asked for and rib cats when a ribbing is called for. Lately it has been the influx of stock stuff and nothing else. When someone posts a build from stock to custom I'm all for it but like Guy said, putting a pair of ace bars on a CB, XS or otherwise doesn't make it a custom. The change will be interesting. I will continue to stick around and be part the of the great Vegas crew of JJr's. Bottom line for me is that I'm visiting and trying to respect the heads of this board. Now let's share a drink, tell a story, make some friends and ride till the wheels fall off the bike.

Late.

Vegascrewdevilsplayground.blogspot.com

Last edited by mad750; 07-28-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #50
Hoofhearted

I haven't been here that long but what appealed to me was the wide openess of the board. We are all riders/builders (of varying skill levels)/enthusiasts. There was an M20 bobber here a while back. To me an M20 is a boat anchor but some guythought it cool to build one. More power to him. And a lot of others thought it cool too. Wes posted that CB750 drag bike/cafe racer tat caused penal arthritis. There is such wonderful range here unlike most other forums. It seems a shame that theres going to be more fences on the prairie.
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph

Last edited by Hoofhearted; 07-28-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #51
Tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeather View Post
I don't really see how an Evo in a Flyrite frame is any more "traditional" than a CB750. The Denver's post was one the best I've read on here ever. Is shit like that gonna get auto-locked to be replaced by "look what I did with my Buell engine"? I'll still hang here as well, but I too liked seeing the real honest 70's jap stuff. Yeah, the XS650 bobber stuff is outta hand, but sometimes there's good shit too.
The Denvers thread has TWO things, History AND Quality, trust me threads like that we will leave open.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #52
nickle axe

If there is the interest amongst you all, I can host a Jap bike forum. Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #53
jscoma47

Thank you to everyone involved with making the journal what it is,Ryan,Scorcher and all the moderators.
I look forward to the upcoming changes and cant wait to see.
as far as the jap bikes threads I wont miss them,there have been a few good ones and I am sure we will see more.
Denvers thread...goes without saying..one of the finest anywhere.

How about that alliance thing on here?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #54
TJSTILES

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle axe View Post
If there is the interest amongst you all, I can host a Jap bike forum. Thoughts?
i would be all for it, i would enjoy a metric forum but i would like to see one that is just the custom, classic, DIY, Cafe racer stuff, no cruisers or sport bikes, because theres already a few forums out there that cater to that style of bike.

just my .o2 cents, leave it on the bar or put it in the bucket, either way, there it is. =)
Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #55
El Greco

I don’t own a bike, but have been reading great posts on here for a year or two.
When I started browsing this site everything seemed to be really cool Triumphs. Then I started seeing really cool XS650s.
Now I see a big mix, but I just look at what interests me. And I find a lot interesting posts. Good work is good work, whether on an American, English, or Jap bike.
I agree that there are a lot of posts now that most could do without. A lot of those may be from guys that are young and have no one to learn from. People that work on there own stuff are few and far between. I am 47 and have been doing working on cars since 15, and other things way before that. I was lucky though, I had someone to bounce things off of, as well as books.
Some of the posts may be making up for the lack of someone to learn from.
Limiting posts to certain makes, models, years, or country of origin is up to those that run this site, but sometimes things have to be allowed to change as time goes on.
Sort of like a corner lot with the trail where everyone walks “cutting the corner”. It is better to not get mad about it, just pave the path that everyone has made.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #56
Troy Fab

That's the best news I have heard all day!!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #57
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco View Post

I don’t own a bike, but

........ sometimes things have to be allowed to change as time goes on.
Sort of like a corner lot with the trail where everyone walks “cutting the corner”.

It is better to not get mad about it, just pave the path that everyone has made.
No, they dont "have to be allowed". That is what dilutes and distracts and kills the basic format, and is what got us to this point.

We walk the trail that the man who owns the lot says to walk.

You want change, there's other forums.

Or obama.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #58
fuzzy75

Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzy75

awesome,awesome,awesome. thank you
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #59
hahnda

If you are looking for forums that are geared more towards jap builds here are a couple of good ones that have been around for quite a while.

http://www.thechopperunderground.com/
http://www.chopperfix.com/
Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #60
swinewerx

looks like the ones who whined the most won, like there was a fight! squeeky wheel gets the grease