Shovelhead spin on filter - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Elvirasguy

Default Shovelhead spin on filter

Hey guys, I am finishing up the fab of my oil tank for my cone Shovel, and I am faced with adding a spin on filter mount. There are hundreds of mounting kits out there to choose from with very little technical data to go along with them.
Before I buy a mount, I think I need to know which filter I will be using.

My concern is that I come up with a filter that has compatible flow, filtration, by pass and anti-drainback capabilities. The lubrication system is not something I fancy half-assing. I have a brand new big bore, Shovel with T&O flywheels, all kinds of camshaft action, and lots more expensive goodies and I must know they are fully protected.

I have googled till my eyeballs are throbbing and all I can find is BS. Any one have any insight on this most hairy of issues?
Elvirasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
geezer

Default Re: Shovelhead spin on filter

Forgive me but I cannot remember where I found the test. Anyways the two top automotive filters were Mobil1 and Purolator Pure One. The standard Purolator filter scored well too. Pick a remote mount and find one of those to fit the mount.

I've built a lot of big inch engines that survived a long time using PerForm drop-in filters for the OEM Shovel tank. Your best procedure would be to pick an oil (BradPenn ) and filter. Fire it up and look for leaks and let it get to temperature. Drain the oil and change the filter. Run the initial 100 miles,change and run it 500 miles. Then send a sample off to Blackstone Labs and go with their recommendations.

BTW I highly recommend running BradPenn 30WT break in oil as the initial lube. It's made for it and does the job well. It is a break in oil and not meant to see too many miles. I'll put maybe 20 miles on it then swap it out for 20-50 Brad Penn. Yeah I'm fond of BradPenn for old stuff.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Elvirasguy

I am actually considering hacking the filter basket out of the original oil tank that holds the drop in filter. Now that I think of it, there is no bypass and no drainback in the oem setup in the tank.

Does anyone know the specs on a stock Evo spin on? I am looking for bypass or no, micron rating and thread and gasket dimensions.

I am thinking that an 8 psi by-pass with a 20 micron rating. Definitely not the highly touted 5 micron filter for blockheads.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
WhizzbangK.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvirasguy View Post
Hey guys, I am finishing up the fab of my oil tank for my cone Shovel, and I am faced with adding a spin on filter mount. There are hundreds of mounting kits out there to choose from with very little technical data to go along with them.
Before I buy a mount, I think I need to know which filter I will be using.

My concern is that I come up with a filter that has compatible flow, filtration, by pass and anti-drainback capabilities. The lubrication system is not something I fancy half-assing. I have a brand new big bore, Shovel with T&O flywheels, all kinds of camshaft action, and lots more expensive goodies and I must know they are fully protected.

I have googled till my eyeballs are throbbing and all I can find is BS. Any one have any insight on this most hairy of issues?
For a cone shovel this is my personal favorite filter set up.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/173-969

It uses the same filter as the Evo engines. This is good since the flow rates and filtration specs are compatible with any shovel oil pump. Also, though I'm not a fan of billet for billet's sake, I'm not opposed to it in applications where it's function is superior, and this is one of those cases. I've broken every stamped/bent/welded steel filter mount that I've ever tried to run. Most sooner than later. Since I started using the Accutronix set up, I've not had any more issues at all. It's a very robust design in my opinion.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Elvirasguy

Good to know, and I see one on Ebay. What about the Lowbrow unit? The one that has the same fitment is $38.99!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
Elvirasguy

Make that $75.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
ranchodeluxe
Banned

I do not recall the micron rating on the -77A H-D spin on filter, but it is speced for the pressure and flow of a shovel/evo oiling system. The -99a Twin Cam filter is ten micron, too restrictive and is likely to cause issues. I, too have used the Perform drop-in on several 97" in Mountain motors. They work fine. I use Royal Purple 15/40, or in the heat RP 20/50.
ranchodeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Elvirasguy

Whizz, I followed your lead and scored the aforementioned Accutronix unit on Ebay for $32 including freight. I don't think I'll mount it to the front, I have visions of road debris or unxpected curbs tearing the thing off there. I have a nice little space in front of the oil tank that I think will hold it nicely.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
WhizzbangK.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvirasguy View Post
Whizz, I followed your lead and scored the aforementioned Accutronix unit on Ebay for $32 including freight. I don't think I'll mount it to the front, I have visions of road debris or unxpected curbs tearing the thing off there. I have a nice little space in front of the oil tank that I think will hold it nicely.
Thanks for the help guys.

I've never had an issue with damage to the filter hanging off the front, and I've done some pretty serious off roading with it installed. Whacking a curb is just about the only way to hit it with something that would do any real damage, and in that case you might have even bigger issues, like a bent front wheel.

No rule says you have to mount it where they originally designed it to go, there's plenty of meat on it to cut off the mount tabs and drill and tap some other mount holes. Just be sure not to drill into the oil passages,

One other thing to consider is changing out the filter. Make sure you have access and some way to prevent oil running all over everything under it and making a real mess.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe View Post
I do not recall the micron rating on the -77A H-D spin on filter, but it is speced for the pressure and flow of a shovel/evo oiling system. The -99a Twin Cam filter is ten micron, too restrictive and is likely to cause issues. I, too have used the Perform drop-in on several 97" in Mountain motors. They work fine. I use Royal Purple 15/40, or in the heat RP 20/50.
As a point of clarification, I believe OEM HD filters now have the 10 micron filter, but use a synthetic media that is supposed to be free-flowing enough that it can be retro-fitted to Evo bikes. The aftermarket, of course, may or may not be in the same boat.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
ranchodeluxe
Banned

That may be, I used to be a factory tech rep but left 5 years ago now. I am a bit skeptical, as cash is king at H-D. If they commonized the micron rating, and specced it for 99-earlier bikes. Their typical play would be to eliminate the -77A part number. It costs a lot of money to support part numbers. The buyer planners would have been all over this, when I was there.
ranchodeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote