Ironhead with issues - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Buildyourownride

Default Ironhead with issues

I've been fixing up a 79 ironhead that's been run into the ground and it's problemes every time I fix one issue another pops up. This is the first Harley I've had and ready to junk it even the foot pegs have broke off.

I got it running again and after a week of riding it acts up again. When I pull the clutch and put it into gear it seems fine at first but every now and then it starts jerking and hopping around. If I take off it runs fine and drives good no problems shifting at all. Any clue what could have happened? I also noticed the chain became extremely loose And tightened it back up
Buildyourownride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
dhallilama

Default Re: Ironhead with issues

1- go do an intro

2- hi. sounds to me like you're either gonna chase/fix problems as you go... or strip the bike down and rebuild/fix/attend to everything as you put it back together (my suggestion).

my daily driver ironhead was a string of headaches and unreliability until i stripped it down and went through *everything*. and i mean EVERYTHING. didn't split the case, but brought the bottom end to an old timer who verified the crank/lower was good to run. every last other part was taken off, trans completely disassembled, etc. fresh top end, some new gears, proper fitting of everything and it's a dead reliable bike. i'd not hesitate to take it anywhere... plus i know every nut/bolt/etc of the bike.

as for the clutch: acting up only once it's warm/hot?
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
JAWS

Ditto on the intro, go HERE.

Did you actually mean the chain loosed and then got tight but there was no adjustment at the rear wheel?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
guiltyview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post

my daily driver ironhead was a string of headaches and unreliability until i stripped it down and went through *everything*. and i mean EVERYTHING. didn't split the case, but brought the bottom end to an old timer who verified the crank/lower was good to run. every last other part was taken off, trans completely disassembled, etc. fresh top end, some new gears, proper fitting of everything and it's a dead reliable bike. i'd not hesitate to take it anywhere... plus i know every nut/bolt/etc of the bike.
reading things like this makes me very anxious to get mine finished
guiltyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
dhallilama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post

I see shift forks with the sides worn down...and... the gear dogs rounded off (Dog Eared)...and .... the shift cam gates having mega wear...and ...
DUDE! you saw my trans! the shift forks were so worn i'm surprised they didn't just vanish all together, cam gates looked like hell and the gear dogs were so far past dog eared i'm surprised the bike even moved!

any time i've seen an unreliable ironhead, it's because the bike needed REBUILT... with a solid wrench behind it...
not just cleaned up, some shiny shit bolted to it, and ridden away.
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
dondoucette

I picked up a running 76
removed everything from the frame to repaint.
2 years later I'm still rebuilding, kept (had to repair mind you) the cases, jugs (bored), heads (re-worked), rocker boxes and the clutch basket (added a kicker sprocket) .

The rest was so worn out or broken that it has all been replaced, including the crappy aftermarket hardtail frame, and the crack in the factory trees.

My OCD kicked in and my ironhead chopper is being built from the ground up with all the best parts I could find.

It's been expensive and frustrating but I can't wait to kick to life for the first time.
I pity anyone who buys an Ironhead to use as a daily driver from someone they don't know.

Good luck with yours.

Go have a look...

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19820

Last edited by dondoucette; 09-08-2013 at 06:05 PM.
dondoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
shovithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondoucette View Post
I picked up a running 76
removed everything from the frame to repaint.
2 years later I'm still rebuilding, kept (had to repair mind you) the cases, jugs (bored), heads (re-worked), rocker boxes and the clutch basket (added a kicker sprocket) .

The rest was so worn out or broken that it has all been replaced, including the crappy aftermarket hardtail frame, and the crack in the factory trees.

My OCD kicked in and my ironhead chopper is being built from the ground up with all the best parts I could find.

It's been expensive and frustrating but I can't wait to kick to life for the first time.
I pity anyone who buys an Ironhead to use as a daily driver from someone they don't know.

Good luck with yours.

Go have a look...

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19820

Even when you buy one from someone you know, you can end up getting one that is completely bad. Buy cheap, rebuild, and ride it NOT like you stole it, and it will last for years. If you feel bad, look at the price of a new one, and then remember why you want to ride old iron. It becomes obvious after some serious thought. The same goes for any mechanical object. Now, look all week long and see how many really old, 30 years and older, bikes or cars you see on the road. Anybody that takes the time to build their own bike, should be proud as a new father, when they are done. It takes 9 months to make a baby, and you can't ride it, until it is 15 or 16 years old. So building a bike, takes less time too.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
bbillington

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovithead View Post
Even when you buy one from someone you know, you can end up getting one that is completely bad. Buy cheap, rebuild, and ride it NOT like you stole it, and it will last for years. If you feel bad, look at the price of a new one, and then remember why you want to ride old iron. It becomes obvious after some serious thought. The same goes for any mechanical object. Now, look all week long and see how many really old, 30 years and older, bikes or cars you see on the road. Anybody that takes the time to build their own bike, should be proud as a new father, when they are done.

It takes 9 months to make a baby, and you can't ride it, until it is 15 or 16 years old. ...
Creepy, dude!
bbillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
gasketscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbillington View Post
Creepy, dude!
The way you interpreted that, is what's creepy!