1985 Guzzi cafe build allowed here? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Truckedup

Default 1985 Guzzi cafe build allowed here?

Is it too new for this place? Stripped it down as you see in the photo,huge pile of stock parts in the background. Intended to be a bare bones cafe racer type/LSR machine for the same guy I built the 650 triumph racer. Naked bike 1000 cc pushrod class records are over 150 MPH ,mostly Guzzi's

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Metalman123

Default Re: 1985 Guzzi cafe build allowed here?

Hell yes!!!
Metalman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Flatironmike

no, not allowed if you fuck it up with a half-assed job. so don't

Flatironmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
4444Design

Keep the pics comin'
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
magnum45pete

I personaly think there is a Family conection between Guzzi and Injun so why not have it here.....The Indian 841 was only ever used in Italy during the end of WW2 then a few years later Guzzi came out with their bike.....bit more than a coincident I reckon!!!........

the Indian was a side valve but the motor layout is so simular and had features that also showed up un the Guzzi........

it has been said that IF Indian had kept at this design they may not have gone down the pan in the 50's.....who knows.....

Last edited by magnum45pete; 04-13-2014 at 10:19 AM.
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Truckedup

It won't be half assed
Right now the rear wheel is off and then the swing arm for drive shaft service. I have a pair of aluminum spoke wheels coming to replace the mags. The look will be the usual Guzzi cafe,no side covers,open spaces, small seat and tail piece, large fuel tank,8 inch headlight,open exhaust..It runs ok for now...Over the winter I'll take apart the engine.
20 years ago I had a 76 Lemans 850. These bikes are reasonably fast but the exhaust sound,the intake roar and feel of the machine at high speeds is euphoric .And the faster you go,the smoother it gets.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Destralo Roach

Ride, Hell Yeah!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Truckedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
I personaly think there is a Family conection between Guzzi and Injun so why not have it here.....The Indian 841 was only ever used in Italy during the end of WW2 then a few years later Guzzi came out with their bike.....bit more than a coincident I reckon!!!........

Maybe not ,the is a guote from the man who designed the V twin Guzzi engine, same guy who designed the famous Guzzi V8 Grand Prix bike engine,Giulio Carcano. This is him telling the history ;

Quote:
GCC: it’s an old story. As you know, because now it’s common knowledge, the corps of cuirassiers (note: the special Guard of the President of Italy) needed a new official motorbike because the Falcone they had, looked very poor. A colonel commander of cuirassiers said to me “you know we choose our horses in Normandy because it’s bad for the men and for the horses to see a two meters tall man riding a little horse... We need a bike that is what those Norman horses are for our rider”. And this was the main starting point. We realised the first V project (note: he referred to the engine and not to the motorbike), a 704 cc. From that project all the complications and the elaboration of the subsequent motorbikes were born.
At that time I also built a V, 500 cc first and then a 600 cc. I put it on a Fiat 500. I remember that it gave me a lot of satisfactions. It was a motor, the 600, giving 36 or 38 HP. Exactly twice the output of the original Fiat engine, giving 18-20 hp.
The car was very brilliant, pleasant and funny; it had a very good acceleration and the maximum speed was almost too much:140 Km/h for such a small car!
Then I built another V, much more a humble project, I'd say; it was assembled for a a military vehicle, the so-called mechanical mule, the 3x3. We did some tests for that purpose.
Eventually, the V model for the bike was the chosen one, because police forces and the Army liked it, and not only the Italian ones but all around the world.
Then it was increased to 750 cc. making it a sport engine, almost a racing engine. In any case, in my view, in spite of several advantages for tourism, police corps and stuff, that engine scheme is not too suitable for a racing motorbike, for several reasons that I do not explain for I fear to become boring..

Last edited by Truckedup; 08-03-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Maybe not,according to the Guzzi history I found. It says "The original V-twin was designed in the early 1960s by engineer Giulio Cesare Carcano, designer of the DOHC V8 Grand Prix racer. "
I read that as well,.......... but I bet he had an 841 in his garage!!!...
I have only ever seen one 841 in the flesh...the one in my photos,& the layout is so much like the Guzzi
always have been a Guzzi fan as well ,
I just think they are so much alike, even if it were sub-consiously I bet there's a connection....
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Truckedup

Pete I edited the info just above after you posted again....I guess all engine have a relationship Like many early Americian cycle engines were V twins or all the British vertical twins.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
drainsurgeon

That's a pretty cool looking motor IMHO.
drainsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Cosmo

Is a cool idea for a build. However, a lot of that bike looks newer than 1985. Like the rear disc, angle-cut cylinders and rubber intake manifolds for starters. Not that that detracts, but 'tis what it 'tis.

You might want to lose the floorboards for a café look

Cosmo
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
Truckedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Is a cool idea for a build. However, a lot of that bike looks newer than 1985. Like the rear disc, angle-cut cylinders and rubber intake manifolds for starters. Not that that detracts, but 'tis what it 'tis.

You might want to lose the floorboards for a café look

Cosmo
The square fin engine was introduced in 1983. Intakes had rubber connectors since the 70's along with the rear disc on some models.
Yeah,the floor boards. The removable lower frame rails are chromed with welded on floor board brackets.I'm trying to find "plain" lower frame rails before I cut the brackets off these.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
The square fin engine was introduced in 1983. Intakes had rubber connectors since the 70's along with the rear disc on some models.
Yeah,the floor boards. The removable lower frame rails are chromed with welded on floor board brackets.I'm trying to find "plain" lower frame rails before I cut the brackets off these.
Wow. I feel sooo stupid!! I read '1985 as '1975'. Duh.

Umm, carry on...

P.S. Izzat an extended swinging arm??

I'll be watching. Even though Guzzis are too small for me (knees hit rocker covers), I still have an affinity from the 850T I had for years.

Cosmo
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Truckedup

This California 2 has about an inch longer swing arm than earlier models.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Truckedup

Today it looks like this.The only store bought item is the clip on bars.Everything else I made or reworked stock parts.The rear tire isn't on because I waiting for a few spokes to arrive.I made a seat base from wood and my wife will sew up a cover.The big fuel tank needs a different color..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
Buellbomb

I like it! I'm bringing a crashed trackday Duc back to life myself.
Buellbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Truckedup

Now it has a wife fabricated seat......The fuel tank is screaming for a different color...

Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Frosty

Looks like a nice build so far. Wondering how you'll be able to get LSR gearing with a driveshaft? Keep up the good work.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #20
Truckedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Looks like a nice build so far. Wondering how you'll be able to get LSR gearing with a driveshaft? Keep up the good work.
I have two rear drives,the one on the bike is a 4.7 and the other is 4.12. I Guzzi makes about 5 different ratios and the whole drive can be changed in half hour with two wrenches. 5 speed big Guzzi's have an overdrive high gear so the overall ratios are 4.3 and 3.85. A well tuned stock 1000 engine like this will turn 7500 rpm,That's a realistic 125 mph with 4.3 overall gear.The other gears are for when the engine is built and can pull 8000 rpm at 155 mph,maybe