Jockey Journal Forum banner

Cracked Coil ?? Sporty won't start

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  shovithead 
#1 · (Edited)
1982 Sporty,,cold starts fine,,ride it ,,enjoy have fun,,,shut it of..then have to wait like 45 minutes or so before it will start again ?

Looking at getting this bike and this is what the owner says is wrong with it,,I'm thinking cracked coil

#2 ·
Re: Cracked Coil ??

It could be the coil. Simple to check, take a spare coil and swap it out. I had an ugly '66 Dodge pick-up with a coil that went bad. It would start and run fine, but after about 5-6 miles would stop running just like if you turned the ignition off. When the engine cooled down, it would fire right up. An old mechanic said it sounds like the coil, so I checked it. Connections were good, NO cracks, no visible damage at all. Made me wonder. But I swapped it out and problem solved.

Regards,
Geo.

#3 ·
Re: Cracked Coil ??

ok ,, bike got dropped off ,,and would not restart,,that was 3 hours ago,,first thing I notice was a fuel line ( just a cheap rubber line at that ) that looped down and was sitting between teh bottom of the jugs,, Rerouted a new line,,it started but won't really idle.. Has an S&S Super E,, do these carbs have any outstanding issues ? Also seems to back fire but only when starting

Could it be teh modulator ?

#4 ·
Sounds like your fuel is not flowing. I would drop the carb bowl and clean the jets and reassemble. Check the flow at the petcock, and again at the hose, where it attaches to the carb. If the flow is good, hook to carb and see if it will start. The accel pump diaphraghams rot with age, and if it sat, the check balls in the accel pump can get stuck. Don't loose the spring behind the one ball, it is very small and fine, but also very necessary. I prefer "anything but a s and s" but that is my personal thoughts. Lot of those carb running around. Lot a people love them.

#5 ·
[*]When cold ,Take off the two spark plug wires from the coil. Unscrew the smaller connections on the coil Set the ohmmeter to read resistance on the Rx1 setting. Measure the resistance across the two smaller terminals on the coil. The meter should read between 2.5 and 3.1 ohms.Set the ohmmeter to read resistance on the Rx1000 setting. Measure the resistance across the two larger terminals on the coil. The meter should be between 10,000 and 12,500 ohms.If the meter reads outside of the ranges for either of the above measurements the coil is bad and should be replaced.​

#6 ·
ok got a lil more info ,,Guy said the bike has acted this way for over a YEAR !! would it still be the coil ? Just seems a long time for a bad coil to live,,lol ,,also on a 1928 does anyone know what the relay / fuse is for teh directionals ?

thanks

#8 ·
Routing a rubber fuel line between the jugs from a super e can collaps the line when it gets hot because of the angle to the carb. If you dont have a 90* fuel line this can happen, most likely with a bare rubber line (ask me how i know) Once it happens it will happen over and over. Add a new fuel line it will happen again once it gets hot. I have seen some people get away with it with braided and covered fuel lines but have seen the same thing happen more than once . I thought I was getting stuff in the carb and would dump the float and pull the plug , giving it enough time to cool and it would start again untill i figured it out.. I got a 90* vaccum line and used it ever since. Its not rated for fuel but It has been fine for like 3 years.

#14 ·
I don't know that it would solve your problem. It's just an answer to your question about re-routing the fuel line over the top and then down. Theres not enough room to do that without adding a 90 degree fitting or putting a kink in the fuel line. Pre-formed 90 in the line is so much cleaner and simpler.

#15 ·
Orange fire, is either dead battery or bad coil. But those no name wires would have to go. I run solid wires on most of mine. They never fail, until you brag to much, and someone shoves two cigarette butts in your coil and pushes the wires back on over the culprits. They don't make a coil that can fire through nicotine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.