Jockey Journal Forum banner

will my shovelhead jetting be ok for first startup

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  76shuvlinoff 
#1 ·
hey yall. going to be receiving my jugs and heads after some machine work. so in the near future i will be reassembling my 74" shovel. my question is pertaining to first startup and ring setting break in phase. it was a stock 74" stock bore, assuming stock compression, and also assuming stock cam thus far. she did have a cv carb setup on it and was hopefully close to right but had issues that turned into machine work, obviously. so coming back together i will be running 9:1 keith blacks, ab cam, springs and retainers to match.

will the current jetting 180/45 be good to go on this setup with minor tweakage? i dont want to get in my own way on getting it broke in proper, but i do understand i might need to fine tune later for optimum power and smoothness.

that is all.

#2 ·
that jetting would more then likely work for what your doing - KB pistons are set tighter than any other pistons for a shovel, a word to the wise no throttle jockey at lights NO more then 1/2 throttle in any gear for 500 miles - give it time to warm up when cold

the longer you give it to brake in the longer it will last

the 9 to 1 and the AB cam will have lots of low speed static compression so watch the idle time as it will get hot at a extended light or traffic

#3 ·
John is so right. Dont leave the parking spot until you feel heat in the front rocker box.

Be really gentle and dont let it lug either. At least until its broke in. Change oil often. Run good 60wt. But this is just my opinion.

#4 ·
thanks alot guys.

yeh i dont plan on blasting around as soon as i get her together, definitely looking for a good break in to keep it stronger longer. i have plenty of country roads to take her for a spin for the early miles, will it still have that tendency even after break in? i already have a cooler on the bike but will most likely replace with newer/better in the future just because i like piece of mind. and yes indeed, im ordering a multi pack of oil filters as part of the reassembly requirements as well for the multitude of changes throughout the first miles.

thanks again guys, great info.

#7 ·
The CV is not as romantic as some "old school" carbs but once it's right it's about the best there is for a shovel. No fiddlin' around, great manners. As others have stated, zero intake leaks is critical for any carb. My CVs have been hard mounted with an adapter off ebay and a slightly reworked factory support from the front rocker. Never an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.