Jockey Journal Forum banner

81 Shovel

9K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  HD48FL 
#1 ·
I bought a one owner FXE yesterday.
It is pretty clean, but has the wrong tins on it. I bought it from my friend that owns a local Indy shop, it was a commission sale.
I had made an offer on it about a month ago, and the seller finally came down to my offer.
First thing is to lose the hiway pegs and the gay , tassled seat with chrome studs all over it.
I thinking a stripped down bar hopper, but, I'll think it over before I do anything radical. I can't pick it up till Monday, I'll post some pics then.

#15 · (Edited)
Yep.
I think Sparky used it to hook up the aftermarket turn signals. which are going away.
I already put on the original seat, cause I couldn't stand looking at all those studs and tassels.
If I'm gonna look at tassels, I want to see tits attached to them.

#17 ·
I have one of you too, but it is not for sale, or posting. Just extortion. ;)

#29 ·
Past couple of days I have been tending to small stuff on the shovel, while supervising my Bro who bought my 71 TR-6.
He is not a wrench and (neither am I ) so I am helping him install new tires, carb kit, battery check valves and get it running after a six year nap.
After I got him started on that I removed the rear turn signals (we don't need no steeeenking turn signals) which required removing the fender mounting bolts, the sissy bar, the struts, the shocks and finally the rear fender, just to get the ts off.
I found out why rear brake light didn't work, it had come unplugged, easy fix. Repaired the bent rear brake lever, which was rubbing on the cone.
I'm waiting on the correct turtle tank, courtesy of Shovithead (thanks Russell!) to arrive.
I was going to put this back to a fairly stock Super Glide, but, now I am having second thoughts.
I have a brand new Paughco rigid frame laying in my shipping container?..........

#32 ·
Yeah, keeping the swing arm, I guess.
I sold my bagger the other day, it is getting to be too much for my f 'ed up knees,so I sold it to a good buddy.
He is almost like a Brother to me and he said if I want to take any long trips on, just come get it. Win-win.
I got well above market value on it, he offered cash, so.....
Twist my arm.
I now have the dollars to re-boot my 03 FX, which need tires, suspension work, belt, brakes re-built and carb rebuilt. The paint is perfect. I do a Progressive suspension rebuild on the forks and new PS shocks, also.
I will black our or eliminate most of the chrome.

First, I will start on this 81 Shovel.
I'm going to mini-apes with a 14 inch rise. I'm getting rid of the gay chrome rider and passenger footpegs and kicker .
Different hand grips, those were also chrome??? WTF???
Shovithead sent me the correct turtle tank for this bike. I need to remove the glued-on H_D emblems to ge the tank ready for paint.
I will be putting the correct rear fender back on and probably bob-it a bit.
The cushy seat has togo away, I like a Cobra, but I'll see when I get there.
I will rebuild the brakes and the forks will get the Progressive treatment.
All braided steel brake lines.
There is a good whine in the Primary, so, I need to go in there and see wassup.
I have had this bike for 4 months now, and it has not dripped a drop of oil!!
It must be empty.

#35 ·
Getting rid of the reflector and giving them a good polish will go along way! I like shaved legs , but how will you mount your fender? Funny thing, I’ve always liked those front fenders with the brace running front to back.i know it’s not a clean sleek look, but I like them. I think it’s cause I had a Schwin bike when I was a kid that had fender braces like that. Of course I really wanted a sleek ten speed like my cousins but couldn’t afford it so my schwin got chopped! Lol. So chop away, you got to make it suit you.

#36 · (Edited)
Getting rid of the reflector and giving them a good polish will go along way! I like shaved legs , but how will you mount your fender? Funny thing, I've always liked those front fenders with the brace running front to back.i know it's not a clean sleek look, but I like them. I think it's cause I had a Schwin bike when I was a kid that had fender braces like that. Of course I really wanted a sleek ten speed like my cousins but couldn't afford it so my schwin got chopped! Lol. So chop away, you got to make it suit you.
Good point about fender mounting.
I am undecided at this point. I am torn, I want to shave them, but I do want a (smaller) front fender. It don't rain much here, but when it does, that fender would come in handy.
I too, like the original front fender. I am thinking of cutting it down, loosing the front fore-aft strut, and bobbing the rear of the front fender, also.
If I do go 2 over on the legs, I think the bobbed fender will look good.
Now, just to find the time to get to work on it. I am waiting an a NOS rear fender, and a chain , and rider OEM pegs, to replace the ugly-ass chrome and rubber Drag Queen Specialties that are on there now.
I really like the 14 inch rise minis I picked up yesterday.
I also picked up caliper and master cylinder kits for both ends of the bike. All the brakes are working well with no leaks, but, I know the fluid in the system is at least 15 years old. I will replace all rubber lines with braided stainless. I need to add a speedo as the old one was tank-mounted. Of course, new tires and tubes, both ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.