Jockey Journal Forum banner

Winter Project: '73 Shovel build from chilly England...

34K views 271 replies 49 participants last post by  image1 
#1 ·
Hi guys, BillyWhiz from England.. Anybody interested in my new build can follow it in some detail on my personal blog:
http://billywhizblog.blogspot.com/

I plan to post a few pics here on JJ too, just not too many plus I'm not sure they will upload due to size so I have gone with a low-fi setting on my camera.

This will be my 1st Harley build so wish me luck! I just have to mount the tires and I will start on the frame. Plan to get going new years day.. I just spent the last 6 months planning this build and financing it etc., dying to get started now tho' :D Billy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
'73 Shovel build from chilly England - prelim pics...

This is where I'm at: prior to the main fab work... I shoehorned a 21" Yamaha dirt-bike wheel into these shovel forks. It went well, suprisingly! Thanks to JonnyEightHammers for the engineering help. I'd done a little engraving on the fork sliders prior to this.. It's rough but I like it. ;) I got stuck into the rocker boxes on the motor with scotchbrite. I got some nice pieces for this bike - a cool headlight and a really nice rear tire courtesy of "good guy" Bennie from Boneshaker Choppers.

Attachments

#5 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from chilly England...

I'm building one of my own design from DOM tubing - TIG welding it on the jig I just finished - you can see it in the shop pic - sorry about pic size..!
It's going to be a small, skinny, ornery street bike. With a bit of luck!

#7 ·

I'm going to fab the 'bars, pipes & controls too - saves dosh. I need to pick a tank still tho' (have made THEM, but it's a whole load of work, time is of the essence on this build) Aim to get all the fab work done in a week or two.

#9 ·

Sad day for me I'm afraid. My mum passed away. I found working stopped me getting too depressed. My heart wasn't in it but I did what I could. Sorry this is very "down" post, hope you (& mods) forgive me ..

Attachments

#15 ·

Very sorry to hear about your mum.

Will you have to register this as a 'Q' plate?

And what's the plan for the style of the bike?
Well, firstly thanks for the kind words - all of you!

I will probably clone another bike's Reg. - pretty much std chopper practise here. I'm not mad on Q plates since I bought a '77 bonnie with one & later tried to sell it on.. mmm!

Bike style? Well I don't know what the exact style might be called but I am attracted to the SoCal "club" bike look - narrow bars, sportster tank, frisco footpegs, etc. I personally dig a low bike so my front end is 4" under. I'm running 4.5" frame to ground clearance. Quite low.
I'm also into unusual finishes so expect some bare metal and "odd" paint! The forks and front brakeplate have been engraved in a rough but (hopefully) cool manner. I'm planning on running with a hand clutch and foot shifter because I have to use a front brake really & unless the 'bars are totally control-free I don't see the gains in running a foot clutch (if I did again - & my last bike PlumKrazy had suicide clutch - I would want a friction pedal anyway!)
I'm making the seat & controls & pipes myself too. I'm too skint to buy them this time. ;-) Stay tuned.

#16 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from England (3)...

Got a bit more of the frame done today before my girlfriend whipped me off for a pub sunday lunch.. Bloody hell, is that motor gonna go in there.. ;-)

Attachments

#18 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from snowy England...

Thanks for the words dude. Got quite a bit done again today, I'm glad the jig seems to be producing a nice straight frame with the minimum effort. I plan on fitting the last tube tomorrow morning & then I can get the motor mounts fabbed up b4 taking the frame on the jig into my welder guy for snotting up. I made the decision on day 1 or 2 to get the major frame welds done professionally as I really need bifocal glasses to do a proper job (plus I only have tiny argon bottles now since I stopped hiring a standard bottle)..
I may ask him to TIG the neck, axle plate and seatpost area, but MIG the rest. Maybe. Times are tight...

Attachments

#20 ·

looking good, but open a "photobucket" account, it's free, and post some decent sized pic's, so we can see what's going on in a bit more detail,, :)
Doing that later 2nite (day for you guys)....

#22 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from freezing England...

Got the main frame members fabbed now, fitted the top motor mount, offered up the oilbag which I'm going to install 2morrow. I wanted to know my tranny clearance because I'm mounting the motor (& tranny) a little higher in this frame than stock. It's nice to finally see my design in 3D perspective. Should get the main motor/tranny mounts done 2morrow/thursday then it's away to the welder.
I had to take care of some funeral & service matters today too so I'm feeling shattered.. Sleep well tonight (I hope).

Attachments

#25 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from cool Britania...

Progress report. Installed the oil tank with a rear mount that will double up as a fender mount. The front mounts I modified a bit to make more room & neaten up the appearance. I cut a card template of the motor to check clearance and aid in making the mounts 2morrow. It fits and it's not lonely-looking in there.. Result! :)

Attachments

#26 ·

Sorry for loss of your Mum.
I checked out your blog also, you're really kickin' it on this work.
You are doing so many creative things but,
I have a question about the scrolling you did on your lower legs.
Could we get a close up shot, and could you tell what tooling you used? when the time is good for you. Thanks Much, Peace.

#27 ·

Sorry for loss of your Mum.
I checked out your blog also, you're really kickin' it on this work.
You are doing so many creative things but,
I have a question about the scrolling you did on your lower legs.
Could we get a close up shot, and could you tell what tooling you used? when the time is good for you. Thanks Much, Peace.
OK... sure! I will post a couple later. I used a battery Dremel with a small point in it. It was my first effort.. Thanks for the props btw. :)

#28 ·
Re: '73 Shovel build from freezin' England...

I only got one shot before the battery quit on the camera! I've tried to make it as clear as poss with photoshop. Hope it's visible?
Right - I'm off for a beer!

Attachments

#30 ·

So you aren't gonna shave the lower legs?
No! I like 'em hairy... :rolleyes:

Truth is I have been building show bikes for the last 3 years and I'm a bit tired of mucking about with "unnecessary" (?) details is all..

I fancied a slightly ratty bike. OR I could say (truthfully) we're in England and it rains a LOT.. I might take a plastic front fender with me some days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.