TT pipes on a Unit Triumph for Street/highway Use? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
disturber

Default TT pipes on a Unit Triumph for Street/highway Use?

I did a search but it drops "TT" for being too short a phrase...so:

I've toyed with a few ideas for exhaust and (looks-wise) I'm into the TT pipes as the engine's so nice and it looks uncluttered with TTs. I'm also trying to get the best (and more but not necessarily the most) sound out of it and have heard good things about them. I use this bike as a daily rider, city, town and go on 400+ mile day trips.
My bike performs well but has cheap Taiwan made exhaust and sounds too quiet. I want to make the change only if (with proper jetting) I won't sacrifice performance and will be remain a good option for the motor in the long run. Thoughts?

Btw: I did do a similar thread a couple of years back but TT pipes weren't up for consideration at the time. Now they're my first choice with cocktail shakers or something similar in second. It's a 66 Tr6r, very mild custom.

Last edited by disturber; 08-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.
disturber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
scottto93

Default Re: TT pipes on a Unit Triumph for Street/highway Use?

here's mine with tt pipes...i added the slash cut and black ceramic coated them.... they sound nice....i was worried about them hitting the ground being so low...so far the only thing i hit was my lift while i was backing her off....

I think the TT pipes perform well, I am running the big bore 750 kit and the megacycle 510-65 TT (mid to hi rpm) cams, a '69 bonneville dual carb head (which I have read had straighter porting and had better flow than earlier years.....oh, and mikuni 32mm carbs...bottom end power not too shabby, and once it hits 2500 rpm (that's a tach on there) it really comes alive.....have about 6 hours of riding time on it now, highway speeds no problem, motors right along.....

Last edited by scottto93; 10-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.
scottto93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
jamman

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0723.jpg
Views:	2041
Size:	957.5 KB
ID:	67001  
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
'59

i'm running TT pipes on my unit 650 , not because theyare loud but they look good and i understood they helped top end.

however after one year, the conclusion is they are tiring on long runs, and mebe readin 'round the subject , for general road work a reverse cone or even open cone mega could be the way to go.
'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
jamman

Yhe above pic is my 67 650 w 12:1 and single carb, it sounds wicked with the TT pipes. At present there off the bike so I can get a title thru state of IL. They require Mufflers so I put another set of pipes with mufflers so I can pass the inspection.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
disturber

Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for. I know they were made for bikes that were ridden differently than my own. I'm not going to trade in performance or engine health to run pipes that aren't road friendly the way I need a bike to function. I like looks and sound but the ride comes first and it has to be good for the bike. I only have one bike so it has to do it all.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
disturber

Should add that I would be running baffles which would restrict some of the air flow and keep the sound in check. Just putting all the info I can out. Thanks for answering guys. Anyone else have experience w TT pipes on a road going bike?

Tags
exhaust, sounds wicked., triumph, unit