Cerriani vs narrowglide - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
pan61man

Default Cerriani vs narrowglide

So I bought this late 70's New York style chop about a year ago and am finally getting into it.
It has a 6" over duoglide wideglide on it with a spoolie wheel and I'm thinkin that I would like to have something that handles and a front brake.
After knocking it around in my head I hit on a Cerriani or a FX front end. Now I know just enough to be dangerous but seems to me that the road race 35MM with the bulbus bottoms on the fork tubes is the way to go. They have been tradin on ebay on rare occasion for north of a grand. By the time I get my drum brake set up with the correct axle you are looking at some serious coin. Now I don't need one but I want one so I will pay the freight.
Has anyone here run one? Is the legendayr Ceriani as good as they say?
As far as the narrowglide goes. My first HD was a 77 superglide 35mm and that fork never was confidence inspiring. Also had a 72 FX with the 31MM fork and that was downright dangerous. The price is right on those forks but you get what you pay for.
Of course any advice is much appreciated.
Let me see if I can attach a picture here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panshovel3.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	60523  
pan61man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
pan61man

Default Re: Cerriani vs narrowglide

Another pic. Notice if you can the rusty chain attached to the throttle cable to weight it down and keep it from flapping. A little friggin in the riggin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panshovel1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	60524  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Loffer

I would say that would be a odd pairing ,Road race forks and a gen. shovel but who knows. I just parted with one myself , I had to picked up a new stem and would had to be milled to 1" all the way down to fit my bike, needed an axel made, they are odd and rarer than the forks themslves and didnt like the built in risers , which they all seem to have but there are different types. I didnt want to go through setting up a drum more than anything and had a couple options . Didnt run it but I can tell you all aluminum , very light and definetly a different kind of travel/action than a basic Narrowglide. Also you can get it to them starting at about $500 keep an eye out. I probobly wouldve been in $1000 for a wheel i desired and eveything it takes to connect a triumph when it was said and done didnt seem worth it for my bike. I will be interested to see it on your bike!

There are a couple different styles of sliders is where it seems to get really pricey.

Good hunting , Loffer.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
dhallilama

i've never had a Cerriani on a harley, but have had a few on other bikes. Very much like them...
that being said: on my sporty i went from a 33.4 narrow glide to a 35... the 35 sucked. went to a 39mm from a 2004 sportster. mucho better. the price was right, too... $150 shipped. not a great fork... but pretty damned good compared to what was on it before. way more confidence with the bike now.
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
o1racing03

I have a set of vintage Cerianis on my Sportster and can tell you they were not made for the weight of a Sportster. Perfect for mine because it only weighs 360lbs. See my thread about 62 XR/XLCH Road Racer. There are basically 2 differant sliders, one with one set of mounts for brakes and one with 2 sets for brakes and fender. single lug for flattrackers and dual lug for roadracing.
o1racing03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
panhead_pete

How about a late dyna wide glide front end with progressive springs - built for the weight and with relatively good brakes.

Thanks
Pete
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
bustedlifter

I have a Showa from an '89 cbr 600 honda on my stroker shovel. Picked up the whole thing minus m/c for $75.00. It's dual disc with some sort of anti dive device and a super light 17" wheel. Had a 1" stem turned for it, stuck in some Progressive springs and haven't looked back. Great front end.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Stinky Pete

What's the issue with the 35mm front ends?

I have one on mine 76 FX...it's not great as far as suspension/travel goes. I figured I'd just rebuild it at some point with new springs/oil and it would be better. Does that not help?

I was putting off the rebuild because I wanted to get the tubes shortened, but if they just suck as a front end...

My blog - http://garagebuilt.wordpress.com/
Stinky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
redasphalt3

Send a message via AIM to redasphalt3

run the cerriani they clean up awesome!!!

Photobucket
redasphalt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
redasphalt3

Send a message via AIM to redasphalt3

I should have read the post!!
a grand is a bit high. buy the set thats for sale in the jj classifieds
redasphalt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
victm

I had a cerani on a bike set up much like yours, stock rigid frame, not much else...it looked great, handled ok but the weight killed it, like the other fellow said. I also agree that the 39mm is the way to go, good suspension, brake and looks good cleaned up and cheap.
This is my new build with shaved 39mm, no front brake:

Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Tha Nutz

I run a 33mm ceriani setup on my panhead. It is a light bike in a VL frame, but the fork was still too mushy. I inserted a much stiffer set of racetech springs and a set of their gold valve cartridge emulators, and it made a world of difference.

I also fabricated a fork brace using the fender mounts as mounting points, which also helped the handling.
Tha Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
pan61man

A lot of food for thought here.
Two things stick in my head. In the mid 80's I used to hang around a bike shop and the owner had this 57 pan chop. Straightleg 57 frame, sportster tank black with flames and picture cutouts stuck on the tank of pinup babes and ships from what I think was cutty sark whiskey labels. Thing was badass to the max. When I asked him what kind of front end he had on there he said it was a cheriani. Just like that Cherryani. He said it was the best.
My local Britbike guy who over the years has put together some mean machines gets a gleam in his eye when he starts talking about an A65 with a ceriani fork. Says it is the best handling bike anywhere.
Plus the thing is Italian. I do not want to be scooting around on a Pan/shovel with a jap fork up front, thats part of the reason not to go with a late model HD. I never had luck with most jap stuff.
As far as the 35mm goes I hear ya but the 71-72 superglide had those 31mm spindles on it and while it handled like a turd it did hold up. So I figure 35mm should suffice on a cut down model.
Yes that Italian aluminum does polish up nice too.
Onward and upward!
Doug
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
nofiron

Storz performance sells them. They are expensive. You can get them inverted or regular (ha ha). They come anyway anyhow, for your barge or your flat tracker- street tracker.
http://www.storzperf.com/toc.html#forks
Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
Hopper

A 1970s Triumph disc brake front end looks pretty similar to a Cerriani and they are a good front end. Pretty solid, specially off a Trident, and the disc works well if you machine the chrome off and run on the cast iron. Probably cheaper and easier to come across than a Cerriani - and still has that classic era look.

Or there is the the 70-71 Tri/BSA front end. Same style aluminum sliders with a conical drum brake, but not a very good one, unless you put longer actuating arms on it.

Or a 70s Norton front end. Nice looking aluminum sliders, but the disc brake not as good as the Triumph.
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #16
kickstarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan61man View Post
A lot of food for thought here.
Two things stick in my head. In the mid 80's I used to hang around a bike shop and the owner had this 57 pan chop. Straightleg 57 frame, sportster tank black with flames and picture cutouts stuck on the tank of pinup babes and ships from what I think was cutty sark whiskey labels. Thing was badass to the max. When I asked him what kind of front end he had on there he said it was a cheriani. Just like that Cherryani. He said it was the best.
My local Britbike guy who over the years has put together some mean machines gets a gleam in his eye when he starts talking about an A65 with a ceriani fork. Says it is the best handling bike anywhere.
Plus the thing is Italian. I do not want to be scooting around on a Pan/shovel with a jap fork up front, thats part of the reason not to go with a late model HD. I never had luck with most jap stuff.
As far as the 35mm goes I hear ya but the 71-72 superglide had those 31mm spindles on it and while it handled like a turd it did hold up. So I figure 35mm should suffice on a cut down model.
Yes that Italian aluminum does polish up nice too.
Onward and upward!
Doug
That pretty much rules out any HD front end from the last 40 years.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #17
Scavenger

Cerriani's are more often found on lighter bikes..it would be kinda like putting a 429CJ in a Pinto I would think,, front end may not agree with it

Perhaps try ( take a look at ) 67-70 Guzzi ambassador front end. They are pretty beefy and the external springs are a good look ( same set up as BSA / Triumph )

Last edited by Scavenger; 03-10-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Scavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
bdavanza

The FX forks are made by Showa and they work very well. They are also a dime a dozen.
bdavanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
pan61man

Just got thru unclogging my toto japanese toilet...the one that splashes whatever was in the bowl onto the seat when you flush it and decided right then and there no narrowglide for me. Memories flashed back to a long forgoten memory of the time when profiling on my 77 FX and somebody told me thats a jap front end on your USA made machine right there. It felt like the factory had sold me out when I found out he was right.
Now in no way am I anti Japanese but personally I have had no luck with their products starting with a piece of garbage cb360 many moons ago.
The ceriani hunt has been on for a while now and outside of getting pummeled by bigger wallets than mine on ebay it appears there is no "Ceriani road racing fork" in my immediate future.
Looks like it will be the stripped early wideglide for now and if the magic forks shows up a fork can always be swapped out. The Brit forks are tempting and I will be on the lookout at the swaps.
Back to work...
Doug
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
nofiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavanza View Post
The FX forks are made by Showa and they work very well. They are also a dime a dozen.
I'm with bd here. You can find these with the triple trees easy and they are good to go. I had a pair I was going to use then sold them and went WG.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
panhead_pete

What about this. Ducati!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducat...item35b0935a19

Thanks
Pete
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #22
nofiron

Those marzachi(?) forks would be nice but the stem bolt might need to be modified as in bigger. fork length?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
pan61man

That Ducati fork is in the netherlands.
Looking over all the alternatives maybe a Norton fork would work.
I have a Norton guru friend who could put the situation in perspective but the freaking guy will not pick up the phone.
There is a 1973 Cerriani catalog on ebay listing all the 73 model forks in their aluminum lushiousness. I was just 13 in 73 but remember most people did not have the coin in their pockets they have today...old bikes could be had real cheap though because "where were you gonna get the parts". And maybe it was just me but as I saw it in those pre-disco days luxury was for the luxurious, and bikers were mostly just getting by. Ceriani forks probably went unappreciated at the time as nobody who rode bikes could afford them.

Tags
ceriani, chopper, forks