Muriatic Acid for Gas Tank Cleaning - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Flying Scot

Default Muriatic Acid for Gas Tank Cleaning

So decided to do it the old fashioned way. Some gas in the tank, nuts & bolts in there for about 15 min, mixing it around. Then the acid about 35% about 1/3 gallon, face shield, overalls, gloves etc. 30 min later after swishing around be very careful, looked good. Dumped it into some water with baking soda to neutralize it. Flushed out the tank with water/baking soda then gas. Force dried with the wife's hair drier. Looked inside, it had turned orangey / rusty when it dried, WTF. Thought I had done it correctly, what did I do wrong.
BTW already tried Rusteco, long story $90 left it for a week, don't think I had enough of it, probably needed $180 worth for my tank, it's a 6T tank I've been told, almost 5 gallons... I wouldn't pay $180 for Blue label far less weak acid..
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Tito

Send a message via MSN to Tito
Default Re: Muriatic Acid for Gas Tank Cleaning

That orangey rust color that it turned is flash rust, brought on by water and heat from hair dryer, and lack of petroleum product of some kind to coat the fresh and clean surface. It's like when you sandblast metal, it starts to rust almost right before your eyes because it's so clean. If you had dumped a little gas with about a teaspoon of oil in it and swirled it around to cover all sides while it was nearly dry, it wouldn't be so bad. It still isn't that bad, it's just surface rust. You can probably get rid of it with some gas, just don't dump it out until you're ready to use it.

.....yourself.
Tito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
beaverbikes

If you are going to coat a tank like that, you can do the last rinse or two with acetone and then just let it air dry.......works pretty well.
beaverbikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Highway Magician

Buy some Prep & Ready from POR15.com
Highway Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Surly Pirate

Eastwood has some nice stuff. I'm gonna use this stuff on my VW and was planning to use it on my Triumph tank. BTW type in SAMBA in the coupon code and get 15% off. **This is not an advert. Just passing my hookup along**.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-...-for-cars.html
Surly Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Flying Scot

Tito, you are correct, it's like a fine powder, but seems to be stuck on there, I'll try some more gas, if I have to I'll use a little more acid & remember to rinse with the gas. Appreciate all responses.
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Dusty

If you want to remove rust from metal use Phophoric acid, not muratic.
Phosphoric acid is sold under the brand name "OSPHO".
It is also found in "Naval Jelly", and "Metal Prep".
It turns the Iron Oxide (Rust) into a hardlayer, that can be painted right over.
It is green in color, and when once treated won't rust again.

Dusty,
Orange, TX
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Necron99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you want to remove rust from metal use Phophoric acid, not muratic.
Phosphoric acid is sold under the brand name "OSPHO".
It is also found in "Naval Jelly", and "Metal Prep".
It turns the Iron Oxide (Rust) into a hardlayer, that can be painted right over.
It is green in color, and when once treated won't rust again.

Dusty,
Orange, TX
I think that is what I used on my Norton tank.
BTW, I use a heavier petroleum product when doing the shake part with the screws. Diesel, Varsol, etc. I was worried about sparks and gasoline in the tank while doing this.
Maybe I am just over paranoid?
Necron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
lackluster

I just rinsed a super crusty tank in vinegar and it came out super shiny and sexy. I let it sit for about 48 hours and it really did a great job. The other benefit is that vinegar is very easy to dispose of when you're done with it. Its not near as harsh as muriatic acid so it doesn't flash rust quite as fast. I took some pictures of the process and I'll see if I have time to post them sometime today. I soaked it it in vinegar (mild acetic acid), neutralized it, and put it in the oven at about 200 degrees for a while just to make sure it was dry inside so it wouldn't flash rust again. Sounds like one of those urban legends, but it is by far the best thing I've found for it. Muriatic acid tends to work much faster, but flash rusts immediately and is tougher to get rid of when your done.
lackluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackluster View Post
I just rinsed a super crusty tank in vinegar and it came out super shiny and sexy. I let it sit for about 48 hours and it really did a great job. The other benefit is that vinegar is very easy to dispose of when you're done with it. Its not near as harsh as muriatic acid so it doesn't flash rust quite as fast. I took some pictures of the process and I'll see if I have time to post them sometime today. I soaked it it in vinegar (mild acetic acid), neutralized it, and put it in the oven at about 200 degrees for a while just to make sure it was dry inside so it wouldn't flash rust again. Sounds like one of those urban legends, but it is by far the best thing I've found for it. Muriatic acid tends to work much faster, but flash rusts immediately and is tougher to get rid of when your done.
Vinegar works great and you can dump it anywhere when done and it is cheap. I did this to my old Norton tank and it came out clean as a whistle inside. I left the vinegar sit for about 5 days as I kind of forgot about it.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Dusty

The element in Vinegar is "Acetic Acid". It works, but has it's limits. Another item that works wonders, and is very easy to dispose of is molasses. Mix one part molasses and 9 parts water. Mix it up, say in one of those 5 gal plastic buckets, put in your parts, and let it sit overnight. You won't believe what it did. If it's really rusted (Any Part, Not just tanks) bad, it might take more than overnight. When you are through with it pour down the drain, or feed it to your cows mixed with grain.

For brass and copper fittings. Get the unsweetened Lemon/Lime "Kool Aid". Mix it with water, 4 packs of Kool Aid to a quart of water. Put in glass or plastic container. Drop in your fittings or parts, let sit overnight. Most time all you have to do is rinse off and rub with towel, and it's like new...Well almost. If you google the Molasses thing, I think you will find several articles on using it. Best thing, it's cheap and readily available...

Here is a URL to the Molasses rust removal plus several other methods of cleaning up corroded metal ...

http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/mont...rian/rust.html

Here's another site for the Molasses trick...

http://virtualindian.org/projrust.htm

Dusty
Orange, TX

Last edited by Dusty; 09-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Flat Ernie

Send a message via AIM to Flat Ernie

I use muriatic acid to get deep rust off. Neutralize and flush. Then a phosphoric acid rinse. I rinse with denatured alcohol to get the "dusty" / "flakey" phosphoric acid residue off.

Also, denatured alcohol is very good at removing gum in tanks - not much will touch it - even acetone seems to have limits working against gum and varnish, but denatured alcohol seems to work pretty well.

I do all my tanks, even new, with phosphoric acid...and don't use sealers.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Scot View Post
So decided to do it the old fashioned way. Some gas in the tank, nuts & bolts in there for about 15 min, mixing it around. Then the acid about 35% about 1/3 gallon, face shield, overalls, gloves etc. 30 min later after swishing around be very careful, looked good. Dumped it into some water with baking soda to neutralize it. Flushed out the tank with water/baking soda then gas. Force dried with the wife's hair drier. Looked inside, it had turned orangey / rusty when it dried, WTF. Thought I had done it correctly, what did I do wrong.
BTW already tried Rusteco, long story $90 left it for a week, don't think I had enough of it, probably needed $180 worth for my tank, it's a 6T tank I've been told, almost 5 gallons... I wouldn't pay $180 for Blue label far less weak acid..
That orange is a very light layer of rust caused by the fact that when you cleaned the metal of heavy rust, you also etched it, which gives it a very large surface area, which will oxidize rapidly.

A couple of solutions:

A conversion coating which converts this minor surface oxidation to zinc phosphate.

Or, "quick prep", a non-rinse metal prep with an alcohol carrier designed for exactly this kind of thing.

You can get either at the autobody supply store.

I'd go with the quick prep. Do not dilute it. The metal will turn from orange to blue and assuming your tank isn't requiring a sealer, put a cup of two-stroke pre-mix in it and slosh it around if you're going to store it.

If the re-rusting is anything more than slight, re-apply the muriatic acid to get rid of it, and then use the quick prep-after rinsing and force drying.

If you're going to use a sealer, you can skip all of this, and simply dump a quart of Por15 in it, slog it around and drain.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Bodyworx

Muratic Acid will cause your tank to almost immediately rust over if not caoted immediately. i tried it on an old Oil Tank . failure. Left sit overnight . rinsed . left to rust. Live and Learn i guess.
Bodyworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
bombsightcycles

trying all of the above..
thanks guys...
ray
FNG
bombsightcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Cosmo

One last thing - never run a tank after muriatic acid etching without a coating of some sort. ANY water will cause the tank to re-rust. And ALL gasoline has water in it.

POR-15 is a good bet to coat after the flash rust, as the metal will definitely have 'teeth'.

Cosmo
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
panhead_pete

Molasses rocks. Good result, safe to use and no environmental risk at disposal.

Thanks
Pete
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
EldoMike

Milk Stone Remover....get from farm supply houses....
EldoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
Daddy Boy
Banned

That Por15 tank sealer is just awesome. I cannot believe the silver finish on the inside of tank, that's after I repaired pinholes and a fingernail size hole with their repair kit. 6 or7 yrs now. Look into it.
Daddy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
DamnitDave

Great thread. The molasses thing works! Gonna try the coolaid thing.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
joe49

I'm 5 days in on vinegar, in the 69s tanks, it seems to be working, but not fast.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
JMH78FX

Nothin to contribute to the ideas, but I just want to say that stuff like this is why JJ ROCKS!!!!!!! It is flat freakin AMAZING how much collective knowledge there is in this community
JMH78FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
joe49

I'm 10 days with vinegar seems like it stalled and is not finishing the job. Anyone else have it not get the varnish and all of the rust?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
thecarfarmer

Stuff like molasses and vinegar is great - if the rust isn't bad. But, it's analogous to using a tiny body hammer to pound a railroad spike; that's a job for the BFH.

For heavy rust, muriatic is the ticket. But, as has been mentioned, it WILL flash rust the inside of the tank, and if you let the fumes run rampant in the garage, it can flash rust a whole lot of other stuff... DAMHIK.

I just did a CB750 tank last summer w/ muriatic, and chased it w/ phosphoric. Then sloshed w/ gas. Now, the inside of the fuel tank is the least of the guy's worries!

-Bill

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
ob1quixote

Varnish? straight Pinesol.Especially good on carbs.
Rust, those methods listed above!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #26
KELD

Saw a TV show the other night that raved about a Vinegar & Baking Soda mix.
Maybe an option??
KELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELD View Post
Saw a TV show the other night that raved about a Vinegar & Baking Soda mix.
Maybe an option??
this produces high volumes of CO2 foam....home made fire extingusher!!
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Change it, put in new. Shake it every time you walk by it.
Been shaking it, and there is 5 quarts in each tank. Doesn't seem there has been enough reaction to have used up what ever change it is capable of. I'm thinking about, what is the varnish doing as it seems not to have really been affected.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
WhiteFox

I like to use electrolysis to remove heavy scale first. Next I make a rough mixture of pool PH Down (acid in granule form) and water, dissolve it completely, then pour it in the tank. Check on it every hour to see how it's cleaning, dump and refill if you have to and in the end it will be bright silver steel.
WhiteFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
Terracite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
...there is 5 quarts in each tank.
Fill'em right to the top.
Terracite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfarmer View Post
Stuff like molasses and vinegar is great - if the rust isn't bad. But, it's analogous to using a tiny body hammer to pound a railroad spike; that's a job for the BFH.

For heavy rust, muriatic is the ticket. But, as has been mentioned, it WILL flash rust the inside of the tank, and if you let the fumes run rampant in the garage, it can flash rust a whole lot of other stuff... DAMHIK.

I just did a CB750 tank last summer w/ muriatic, and chased it w/ phosphoric. Then sloshed w/ gas. Now, the inside of the fuel tank is the least of the guy's worries!

-Bill
Word. Muriatic is no more unfriendly to the environment than vinegar. Key is to use a little "base" to neutralize it. If you do, it is, as much as water. You need to seal it up quick after you etch it.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
chevelle

Here is another question on this subject.
I used a mild solution of muriatic, worked well.
I want to keep inside from flash rusting.
So I guess now I'm ready for the quik prep acid (phosphoric)
I only have a gallon, the tank is about 3 gal.
Should I just dilute w/ denatured or isopropal?
Calcium,rust,lime remover mixed in?
Vinagar mixed in?
Any other options?

Also the DuPont quik prep is I have is probably 20 years old, does acid lose its effectivity over time?

Last edited by chevelle; 03-26-2013 at 05:10 PM.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
magnum45pete

what strength phosphoric acid do you have????........it may already be a weak solution and as such shouldn't be diluted .....if its a high strength it could be diluted as only a weak solution is needed......check interweb net for exact strengths recomended....remember, Coke Cola contains phosphoric Acid and is what cleans pennys when ya leave them soaking in it over night......
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #34
chevelle

Not sure the percentage?
But I believe its made to clean, slightly etch and leave a minor coating on the surface.
I can let it sit for a week or two.
I guess ill just dilute it w/ alcohol?
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
magnum45pete

dilute with water!!!...........or (don't laugh...) Coke Cola....

you know when it's done when the surface goes Black....the black is the residual Rust inhibator layer.......
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
hilbilypanman

http://www.ospho.com/
This is some cool shit. I poured over a tank that had flash rust on it and it washed away like dust with a water hose. it leaves a black Parkerized like finish that you can paint over. I use it on the inside to wash away rust and it leaves the coating so no flash rust and Gas will not affect it. Read about it on the link, I ordered it from my sisters true value hardware store but there are other dealers listed on the site. I got info from a high end painter and he uses it to do every tank he paints.
By the way this dries over night and is ready to go.

Last edited by hilbilypanman; 03-27-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: old age
hilbilypanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
flatman

I got an Indian tank that is soldered together. Will muratic acid or the phosphoric acid eat the solder? Thanks
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
magnum45pete

phosphoric acid only eats rust....it is very mild....it's used in food and soft drinks....it's in Coke Cola.....
Old 12-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
drumrooster

I second the POR 15 sealer...looks great and drys super hard..make sure u let it dry..longer the better

Tags
acid, clean, gas tank, rusty