Bring JJ back to life!! - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Jeremy24

Default Bring JJ back to life!!

Lets bring this board back to life

This is a great board with great members and great minds

Id love to see this board jumping again, since facebook and instagram are so big now, it seems like message boards and blogs fell off, understandable but why not bring it back to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
[JP]

Default Re: Bring JJ back to life!!

It could also be that it is so big people might not bother to post?

from personal experience there's loads of stuff I don't post because I think "meh, no one is interested in seeing it, it's done and dusted"
or "why am I going to post another shovel project?" or "how to bend handlebars"

you get the idea.

I also found sometimes you don't really get interest or replies, probably because has been done a million times and people don't bother to answer anymore.

Me personally I don't mind explaining the same thing to 10 different people on 10 different days. everyone has to start somewhere.
but there's members who don't think like that. or instead of offering advice they get their kicks out of saying it's sh!t but don't say how to do it.

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
It could also be that it is so big people might not bother to post?

from personal experience there's loads of stuff I don't post because I think "meh, no one is interested in seeing it, it's done and dusted"
or "why am I going to post another shovel project?" or "how to bend handlebars"

you get the idea.

I also found sometimes you don't really get interest or replies, probably because has been done a million times and people don't bother to answer anymore.

Me personally I don't mind explaining the same thing to 10 different people on 10 different days. everyone has to start somewhere.
but there's members who don't think like that. or instead of offering advice they get their kicks out of saying it's sh!t but don't say how to do it.
i def. get what you are saying, i just really enjoy conversation on these things

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180
Atlas Series 3000 12" Lathe

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
68' Xlh (kick/electric) restore project
76' FX coneknuck-- w/panhead rear section (mechanical
brake etc.) and knuckle heads --- long term project
but in the works

Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
JAWS

I post when I have stuff to share.

I do have a few brewing. I will make a thread soon. Chopper legos second session is in order.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
joe49

I'll say, I'm still in. I'm too old to let MEH bother me and like JP said everyone has a beginning. So repeating to many isn't a problem. Only caveat is get a factory manual, you got the bike you need the manual.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I post when I have stuff to share.

I do have a few brewing. I will make a thread soon. Chopper legos second session is in order.
looking forward to seeing what you have in store

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Ratso

I really like and deeply appreciate this place. But I don't have much to share: The typical level of expertise here far exceeds my own, and for the time being I don't even have a JJ-friendly bike. It troubles me that a lot of my contributions are less than helpful -- mostly questions, encouragement, and unfortunate divergences from the topic at hand --but I see them as efforts to help keep the JJ from drying up, atrophying, and blowing away on the breeze.

Some other guys here, at least one of whom insists on remaining unsung, have worked hard for quite a while to keep life in the site. Many thanks to them.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
farmall

If you want to know why people left JJ or post less than they used to, ask those who left why they left via the forums they use now. (It's not appropriate for discussion here. )

If you want to know why other chopper forums may be more (or less) active, view then compare and contrast. If you want to know why anyone posting content elsewhere doesn't use forums, ask them. It's easy enough. If those who own and run JJ want it to be different it would be different. I don't have a dog in that fight. It belongs to THEM not me and they know exactly what they want from their property.

Chopping is mostly a hobby for old men who started it as young men. Remember it's a Boomer cultural artifact folk art movement that happens to involve motorcycles. It's retro today by nature. The few interested (young or old) men intelligent enough to use the internet will track down what they want. At this point if someone can't locate what they want on the internet they don't care to learn how.

Instagram isn't for tech articles and detailed discussion. Fecesbook is a totally disorganized clusterfuck/AOL successor. They are for social chitchat and photo sharing without detailed info to go with those pics, not detailed discussion. No need for that here. As the British say, "horses for courses".

Last edited by farmall; 01-30-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
If you want to know why people left JJ or post less than they used to, ask those who left why they left via the forums they use now. (It's not appropriate for discussion here. )

If you want to know why other chopper forums may be more (or less) active, view then compare and contrast. If you want to know why anyone posting content elsewhere doesn't use forums, ask them. It's easy enough. If those who own and run JJ want it to be different it would be different. I don't have a dog in that fight. It belongs to THEM not me and they know exactly what they want from their property.

Chopping is mostly a hobby for old men who started it as young men. Remember it's a Boomer cultural artifact folk art movement that happens to involve motorcycles. It's retro today by nature. The few interested (young or old) men intelligent enough to use the internet will track down what they want. At this point if someone can't locate what they want on the internet they don't care to learn how.

Instagram isn't for tech articles and detailed discussion. Fecesbook is a totally disorganized clusterfuck/AOL successor. They are for social chitchat and photo sharing without detailed info to go with those pics, not detailed discussion. No need for that here. As the British say, "horses for courses".
I havent had the same experience with instagram, im in a few group chats on there where all we do is discuss choppers and things of that nature, with our builds and other people builds posted. But i always enjoyed forums

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
buckman50

What used to have this Board hopping in the past was urgent and interesting tech questions and equally good tech support by active members who know their shit and are willing to diagnose something for the newbies and experts alike, rather than tell someone to buy a manual.

I do lurk here often, but find postings of your completed chopper, not in progress, and lacking good info/photos on design or fab work, to be boring. That's what Insteegram is for, IMHO.

Its still a great Board with some great archives, but Im for upping the tech game around here.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
VonWegener

As you guys know I sell mostly custom accessories for traditional chopper builds and I found that most of my customers are guys in their 30s and 40s with good looking wives and cute kids. There are also a lot of millenials with a lot of heart and zero technical skills or understanding.
The old boomers Farmall spoke about have their established contacts and usually do not find their way to me.
I think the reason the board is slow is that the social aspect of the forum was discouraged. The biggest thread with girls and bikes was moderated out of existence and in general social comments were frowned upon.
But maybe there a new dawn and somebody will show some modification and there will be lots of stupid banter.
Showing finished bikes is just as important as showing a modified part. Pictures from shows keep people returning to the forum to check things out.
I would love to have the Forum return to my start the day routine of checking what's going on on the JJ.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy24 View Post
Lets bring this board back to life

This is a great board with great members and great minds

Id love to see this board jumping again, since facebook and instagram are so big now, it seems like message boards and blogs fell off, understandable but why not bring it back to life.
You have contributed to "bring this board back to life" by your recent posts, your builds look great.

Sure, social media has changed the landscape of blogs and forums. I always thought that blogs were great, but does anyone still maintain their blog? Forums are still around because there is only so much you can do with the social media platforms.

Sure, traffic is way down on this forum, and likely on all forums. Times change, but there are still some great builds going on here. There is still great tech and fab as well. There are still some long time members that contribute and help others, and plenty of newer members.

What I've always liked about this board was the lack of "discussion" threads and the such. It's mostly content based and should stay that way. No need to sift through tons of posts or threads of off topic or discussion type material.

With that said, this is a fairly healthy discussion and quite valid. But, let's stay focussed and think tech, fab, and builds. What I don't want to see is more and more threads that are discussion based. There are plenty of other forums where there are off topic sections and the such.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
rhysmort

I appreciate I joined this board past it's "days of shining bright" per se, but I've had so much good help advice and guidance in the few years I've been here. As HD says above, I go to some other boards and I find myself sifting through 47 posts of utter dross with people asking about things that well, could be easily learnt from a google or a simple search.

I'll be honest, I come on here as there's probably 4/5 generations of guys who all share a single love and purpose and that's vintage motorcycles of the British and American kind. I love that and I wouldn't change it, sure, we could do with 100+ more active members but then, wouldn't we just be like the other forum with people spouting shit and constantly one upping each other while the person who asks a pertinent question on oil pump fitment or casings, seals etc is left by the small few who rule it and spout utter shite.

I owe a lot to people here, my panhead was a shitter, through help from here another one or two forums and my father I made that bike solid and running without any issue, it's now with somebody who's changing it for his own thing and it runs and fires and farts like it should. I now have a much better grasp and am learning again per se as side valve engines sure have a busy cam chest haha.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
frank spittle

I am disappointed the Vintage Fuel Drag Bike thread doesn't get many posts. There is a lot of history here. Facebook has certainly affected it. I caved in and joined recently and that's where the history of everything is talked about.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #15
britbikebuilder

I like this forum much better than some of the others as it is all different brands with like minds . I help people with motorcycle stuff for a full time job but still enjoy sharing what kind of junk I drag home and hell it is like below zero right now and I cant even get the garage heated up.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
TATER

Lets see here....

Evo Sporty builds... check.

"Shops" making a profit from hipsters...check.

Trash talk...check.

Know-it-alls who prefer to swing their dick around...check.

Seems like the riff-raff is gone. I'm guilty of being a butt-hole also in the past. Rather than prove my lack of technical know-how, I keep quiet. The search function turns up millions of stupid comments and atta-boys. I quit looking because my eyes get crossed wading thru the flotsam and jetsam looking for an answer. if I read another reply that says " Super B's suck ", Im gonna gouge my eyes out.

Anyone who has had Shovithead share on a build/tech post knows what they need to do to contribute. I like reading/seeing a pile get back on the road. Do i like all posts? Hell no. I usually dont read Brit tech questions. I most likely will never have a Tri/Nor/beeza whatcha-callit. I will watch a build, tho.

There are some super helpful folks on this here board. Even when I ask stupid ass newb questions. I wouldnt ask If (a) I didnt know, or (b) I didnt think you guys would know. For some, it is rocket science. For others, its " Jesus fuck, another shitty B carb ! "
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #17
selectedgrub

Mostly I just didn't like my post being used for a platform for an advertisement.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 AM   #18
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
You have contributed to "bring this board back to life" by your recent posts, your builds look great.

Sure, social media has changed the landscape of blogs and forums. I always thought that blogs were great, but does anyone still maintain their blog? Forums are still around because there is only so much you can do with the social media platforms.

Sure, traffic is way down on this forum, and likely on all forums. Times change, but there are still some great builds going on here. There is still great tech and fab as well. There are still some long time members that contribute and help others, and plenty of newer members.

What I've always liked about this board was the lack of "discussion" threads and the such. It's mostly content based and should stay that way. No need to sift through tons of posts or threads of off topic or discussion type material.

With that said, this is a fairly healthy discussion and quite valid. But, let's stay focussed and think tech, fab, and builds. What I don't want to see is more and more threads that are discussion based. There are plenty of other forums where there are off topic sections and the such.

Thank you i appreciate the kind words, im with ya, im a tech, fab head. I try to make as much as i can on my own. But im always looking to learn from others or people who have been in the game longer than me, know a better way than me.

Hell i remember when i learned how to actually use a file, drag and cross method. Made a world of diffrence and i thought i was doing it right before that.

I just turned 36, so im probably younger than most, older than some im sure.

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 AM   #19
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort;2053706[B
]I appreciate I joined this board [/B]past it's "days of shining bright" per se, but I've had so much good help advice and guidance in the few years I've been here. As HD says above, I go to some other boards and I find myself sifting through 47 posts of utter dross with people asking about things that well, could be easily learnt from a google or a simple search.

I'll be honest, I come on here as there's probably 4/5 generations of guys who all share a single love and purpose and that's vintage motorcycles of the British and American kind. I love that and I wouldn't change it, sure, we could do with 100+ more active members but then, wouldn't we just be like the other forum with people spouting shit and constantly one upping each other while the person who asks a pertinent question on oil pump fitment or casings, seals etc is left by the small few who rule it and spout utter shite.

I owe a lot to people here, my panhead was a shitter, through help from here another one or two forums and my father I made that bike solid and running without any issue, it's now with somebody who's changing it for his own thing and it runs and fires and farts like it should. I now have a much better grasp and am learning again per se as side valve engines sure have a busy cam chest haha.
so do i, i just dont wanna see it die. Ive lurked without posting for a longtime and that doesn't help make it any better. So im going to throw some useful knowledge up where i can and some cool shit here and there to go along with it.

My uncle has always been my best resource for anything pre- 84 harley (he just bought a basket case, electric start 65 panhead, when its done he will have a panhead in every year from 48-65) his collection is crazy. Back in the day people use to bring him panheads, knuckles, flatties in trade for work, chevys etc and he just never got rid of them. Hes just always been the biggest Harley fanatic ive ever known. Sorry i just ranted

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #20
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectedgrub View Post
Mostly I just didn't like my post being used for a platform for an advertisement.

Never thought about that. I cant see the adds. Good point though.

I guess its out of site, out of mind. I dont care, but I am not talented enough to warrant anything being sold by what I do. You and some of the other guys.... you make art and share it freely. Capitalizing on that without sharing, seems wrongish...

Cost of admission I suppose and what the owners count on.