Bonneville & LSR Update - Page 6 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #101
dandruff
Senior Member
 
dandruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 371
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Dude! That frame is amazing
dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #102
Hoofhearted
Senior Member
 
Hoofhearted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riverside, Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

A record setter sitting still! El Mirage in May Alp?
__________________
El Mirage record 500 APS/PG 129.817 mph
El Mirage record 500 SC/PG 122.240 mph
El Mirage record 500 SC/PF 120.157 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #103
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
A record setter sitting still! El Mirage in May Alp?
I will install the 650 M-VG engine in to this new frame to test it in May at El Mirage. But the ultimate goal is to finish the 650 Pushrod Fuel engine for Bonneville Speedweek!
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #104
Truckedup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 900
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Astek, you do nice work that's for sure and I don't believe there's a faster running Triumph 650 than yours on any LSR track. We're the fastest east of the Rockies ......... It's interesting to see the difference between vintage MP and my Triumph 650 in non vintage MP. You can get you seat height lower than the top of the rear tire...
El Mirage doesn't have MP class, just altered class????
__________________
I ride junk,some of it is fast
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #105
Hoofhearted
Senior Member
 
Hoofhearted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riverside, Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

T U, No Modified class at El Mirage. Just A.
__________________
El Mirage record 500 APS/PG 129.817 mph
El Mirage record 500 SC/PG 122.240 mph
El Mirage record 500 SC/PF 120.157 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #106
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Astek, you do nice work that's for sure and I don't believe there's a faster running Triumph 650 than yours on any LSR track. We're the fastest east of the Rockies ......... It's interesting to see the difference between vintage MP and my Triumph 650 in non vintage MP. You can get you seat height lower than the top of the rear tire...
El Mirage doesn't have MP class, just altered class????
Thanks Truckedup, Yes El Mirage does not have M class so i can run my new "A" frame (special construction) without changing classes.
But SCTA/AMA M-VG and M-PG is the same, your seat height can not be lower than the rear tire.

Here is my M-VG 131 top speed at Bonneville with the stock frame and the seat above tire.
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #107
Ducbsa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 713
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

What is the function of the drilled plate behind your left foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astek View Post
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #108
Truckedup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 900
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Do you use the long megaphones because of results from track or dyno testing? It appears that some LSR racers use long individual pipes, some use shorter and some a two into one. Otherwords, no golden rule for pipes.
I fabricated a two into one with 27 inch primaries and a 16 inch collector. This is similar to used on the best running AHRMA Triumphs...See how it goes on the dyno..but...
We been having ignition issues and missed dyno tuning....I bought a new $450 Pazon Smart Fire and the fucker was bad out of the box. I've used other Pazon ignitions with no problems. Emailed Pazon and that day they closed for a month....Vacation of some sort. They don't open until March 16 So I'm just hanging here waiting.... Oh well.
__________________
I ride junk,some of it is fast
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #109
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducbsa View Post
What is the function of the drilled plate behind your left foot?
I made the alloy plate so i can change the location of the foot controls according to class.
M class requires that the foot rests must be ahead of the rear axle at least by 6

Truckedup,
Magneto my friend "MORRIS MAGNETO". You put it on and you do not worry about it anymore. Simple, efficient very strong and made by a great guy here in the USA.
I am not done with all the options in terms of exhaust design. So far this works fine but there could be better alternatives. I have no idea what my engine would do on the dyno with its current set-up. I'm looking forward to seeing how your 2 to 1 will perform.
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com

Last edited by astek; 03-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #110
gasketscraper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,584
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Damn, Alp you just constantly improve from awesome to amazing to unreal! That is some beautiful Fabrication. Looks like a record setter to me. The carbs look great. Lots of love and time put into them. Best of luck to you.
__________________
Lets Hang Glide off the Fiscal Cliff!!
gasketscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #111
Dean Lowe
Senior Member
 
Dean Lowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Verne, Ca
Posts: 139
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

The long slim megaphones generally work better at higher RPM's. Depends on the cam, but our Honda gained almost 1000 RPM's at Bonneville with this CR 110 style megaphone over a short Bates megaphone.


Dean Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #112
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasketscraper View Post
Damn, Alp you just constantly improve from awesome to amazing to unreal! That is some beautiful Fabrication. Looks like a record setter to me. The carbs look great. Lots of love and time put into them. Best of luck to you.
Yeah lots of time, that's for sure! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lowe View Post
The long slim megaphones generally work better at higher RPM's. Depends on the cam, but our Honda gained almost 1000 RPM's at Bonneville with this CR 110 style megaphone over a short Bates megaphone.


Wow, another 1000RPM just with a different megaphone! My engine would blow up with another 1000rpm. But I think you are right about the longer megaphone working better at high rpm.
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #113
Truckedup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 900
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Long exhaust is not a given for top end performance. Tim Joyce's bike was a consistent winner in the AHRMA 750 class. It's a heavily modified Triumph engine making around 80 hp at 8000 rpm. Yes it's a road racer but top end power is still important.




Or this machine, it's the current 1000 cc pushrod record holder at 157 MPH. This Moto Guzzi is like many Harley's with a shorter exhaust...Different crank phasing, but not all that different. Modified Guzzi's turn over 8000 rpm.




A Triumph with a 360 degree crank is more like two single engines that the 450-270 degree Moto Guzzi....But I'm going to try out the shorter two into one just to see what happens..
Exhaust is just one three major tuning variables, the other two being intake length and camshaft.
But it's hard to argue with Astek's exhaust considering 130 MPG speed run...
__________________
I ride junk,some of it is fast

Last edited by Truckedup; 03-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #114
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Long exhaust is not a given for top end performance. Tim Joyce's bike was a consistent winner in the AHRMA 750 class. It's a heavily modified Triumph engine making around 80 hp at 8000 rpm. Yes it's a road racer but top end power is still important.

Or this machine, it's the current 1000 cc pushrod record holder at 157 MPH. This Moto Guzzi is like many Harley's with a shorter exhaust...Different crank phasing, but not all that different. Modified Guzzi's turn over 8000 rpm.

A Triumph with a 360 degree crank is more like two single engines that the 450-270 degree Moto Guzzi....But I'm going to try out the shorter two into one just to see what happens..
Exhaust is just one three major tuning variables, the other two being intake length and camshaft.
But it's hard to argue with Astek's exhaust considering 130 MPG speed run...
Very nice race bikes! Thanks for posting the pictures.
The 750cc with 80hp at 8000rpm is impressive, seems like the 2->1 works well. You probably will end up with 55-60hp or more on your 650cc with that type of exhaust, and that will do the job! Let us know.
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #115
Truckedup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 900
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by astek View Post
Very nice race bikes! Thanks for posting the pictures.
The 750cc with 80hp at 8000rpm is impressive, seems like the 2->1 works well. You probably will end up with 55-60hp or more on your 650cc with that type of exhaust, and that will do the job! Let us know.
Last year when first built our bike made 51 rear wheel HP at 7000 rpm on a Mustang dyno. Mustang dynos are supposed to be more realistic than the Dynojet...The dyno operator was having trouble with the machine so I think the HP may be less than he claimed.
You have dyno numbers?
__________________
I ride junk,some of it is fast
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #116
Blown CBR
Member
 
Blown CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 68
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Iv'e just returned from the DLRA Speedweek event (Australia), I didn't get the "toy" bike sorted, but had a GREAT time crewing for a mate, Filthy, on his 'ol Shovel (Phil has only one leg)

This leg freaked the scrutineers out
Spent most of the week chasing Nos gremlins, ended up wiring the one shot system to the hi/low lite switch as the 3 stage system refused to work.
He was having a good run, just crossed the 1st timer on the 3 mile marker, when a coil wire broke, he still managed 135 mph, on ONE cylinder !
His best run was looking like upping his 152 mph record, pulling 6,500 rpm in top, Nos had been "stabbed" several times, just to be told the timers went down,,no time recorded.
http://youtu.be/dkSsW2gtdj0



Oh yeah, shredded a 3" belt too on an earlier run.
Tiny

Last edited by Blown CBR; 03-11-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Blown CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #117
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Last year when first built our bike made 51 rear wheel HP at 7000 rpm on a Mustang dyno. Mustang dynos are supposed to be more realistic than the Dynojet...The dyno operator was having trouble with the machine so I think the HP may be less than he claimed.
You have dyno numbers?
I haven't dynoed this engine, but they say it is probably close to 60hp to go above 130mph.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown CBR View Post
Iv'e just returned from the DLRA Speedweek event (Australia), I didn't get the "toy" bike sorted, but had a GREAT time crewing for a mate, Filthy, on his 'ol Shovel (Phil has only one leg)

This leg freaked the scrutineers out
Spent most of the week chasing Nos gremlins, ended up wiring the one shot system to the hi/low lite switch as the 3 stage system refused to work.
He was having a good run, just crossed the 1st timer on the 3 mile marker, when a coil wire broke, he still managed 135 mph, on ONE cylinder !
His best run was looking like upping his 152 mph record, pulling 6,500 rpm in top, Nos had been "stabbed" several times, just to be told the timers went down,,no time recorded.
http://youtu.be/dkSsW2gtdj0

Oh yeah, shredded a 3" belt too on an earlier run.
Tiny
Lake Gairdner looks beautiful in the video. Congrats to your mate too.. Any 650 vintage/pushrod bikes?
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #118
Blown CBR
Member
 
Blown CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 68
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

"Any 650 vintage/pushrod bikes? "
Yes, prelim results here
http://www.dlra.org.au/2014.htm
This clip is of the drive to the pits, the salt was different than Iv'e ever seen it, no hexagonal pressure ridges, just the occasional "moon rock", apparently . draw up by the the moon's gravitational pull ?
There was a 2" coating of salt with a sandy texture, under this were salt crystals that were transparent, and looked like coarse rock salt, the Harley dug down to this and got traction,
http://youtu.be/9xgN5JAXGMo
Tiny

Last edited by Blown CBR; 03-11-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Blown CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #119
Dean Lowe
Senior Member
 
Dean Lowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Verne, Ca
Posts: 139
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Wow, another 1000RPM just with a different megaphone! My engine would blow up with another 1000rpm. But I think you are right about the longer megaphone working better at high rpm.[/QUOTE]

The little 100cc Honda with it's overhead cam, lightened rockers, and stout valve springs doesn't complain near 10,000 rpms. Setting two records it ran a total of 30 miles full throttle.
Dean Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #120
astek
Senior Member
 
astek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: shadow hills, ca
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lowe View Post

The little 100cc Honda with it's overhead cam, lightened rockers, and stout valve springs doesn't complain near 10,000 rpms. Setting two records it ran a total of 30 miles full throttle.
I know your bike, it's not just a race bike, it is a work of art.
__________________
www.alpracingdesign.com
astek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alp, bonneville, pre unit, salt flats, triumph

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.