Bonneville & LSR Update - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #61
peterdallan

Default Re: Bonneville & LSR Update

Hi Patrick

Sorry to hear that, but still a great speed considering the spin.

BUB runs on a different area of salt to Speed Week, I'm hoping another week if sun will dry things out a bit more.

Landed in Vegas a couple of hours ago, cargo van hired and safely ensconced in the Hard Rock Hotel. I'll drop by the shippers tomorrow to check on best time to pick up the bike, don't really want it sitting in the back of the van in the hotel car park for longer than I need to.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
Hi,

Just back today from Speed Week... Did a 121.775mph with great difficulty at revs that would normally equate 135mph...

The salt is wet and very slippery, beware, plenty of constant wheel spin.

They had to move course 1 by 30 feet, did not improve things...

So still no record for me but it was near... The whole week was unbelievable...

Patrick
peterdallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #62
astek

Default National Record Broken

After damaging the bottom end at Speedweek, I managed to rebuild the engine within 4 days. The biggest problem was the seized cam bush that had spun inside the case. First I cleaned out the cases and made the correct oversize o.d. cam bush. Usually I do install my own cam bushes and align them with my reamer/pilot set, but this was a different situation with damaged cases and already installed drive side bushes. Luckily Dan at “Franz & Grubb Engine” had some special self centering tools/reamers to align my custom bush into the case. Without him I wouldn’t have been able to finish my engine and get back to Bonneville on time.

I really did not have time to seat the rings or do any test runs; I didn’t even tune the carbs after the rebuild. I went straight to the starting line and when my turn came, I fired up the engine and went 118mph and qualified for a record run. My return run was 122mph and I broke the record that first day. After my first run the bike kept going faster everyday and reached a top speed of 131+ mph all of which took place at around 6500ft-7200ft density altitude.

The previous M-VG (modified vintage gas) national record belonged to a beautiful 1955 BSA at 116.977mph. My final qualifying run was against an 11mph headwind resulting in 123.877mph within the measured mile. Unfortunately my Record (return) run was against a headwind as well of 4mph, the little pre/unit managed to achieve 130.308mph within the measured mile and at the end the new AMA National record averaged to 127.092mph.

The “Manta Ray” is officially the fastest vintage triumph on gas with a stock rigid frame/iron head but it is not the fastest vintage bike yet because the SCTA World record belongs to a very nice Indian with a 127.835mph from August 1998.

We will be back at Bonneville in October for the “World Finals” and continue to chase the World Record!

Tune-up and ignition timing before final record run

Officials verifying bore/stroke

Vidio link to the 130.308mph run
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202065943476398

Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #63
Hoofhearted

Terrific running Triumph!! Good to see you at the El Camino college show. Congrats again!!
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #64
RidingHood

That is a fantastic result,well done.
Cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #65
The Baron

Default Re: National Record Broken

Well done Alp,
It was a great thing to be there and see you run and get that Record ,I got to grips with the missings revs from our bike, what a learning curve that was,
so back to do battle with the elements next year with the bike we built for pete and another we are putting together.

Take care
Baron
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #66
gasketscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by astek View Post
After damaging the bottom end at Speedweek, I managed to rebuild the engine within 4 days. The biggest problem was the seized cam bush that had spun inside the case. First I cleaned out the cases and made the correct oversize o.d. cam bush. Usually I do install my own cam bushes and align them with my reamer/pilot set, but this was a different situation with damaged cases and already installed drive side bushes. Luckily Dan at “Franz & Grubb Engine” had some special self centering tools/reamers to align my custom bush into the case. Without him I wouldn’t have been able to finish my engine and get back to Bonneville on time.

I really did not have time to seat the rings or do any test runs; I didn’t even tune the carbs after the rebuild. I went straight to the starting line and when my turn came, I fired up the engine and went 118mph and qualified for a record run. My return run was 122mph and I broke the record that first day. After my first run the bike kept going faster everyday and reached a top speed of 131+ mph all of which took place at around 6500ft-7200ft density altitude.

The previous M-VG (modified vintage gas) national record belonged to a beautiful 1955 BSA at 116.977mph. My final qualifying run was against an 11mph headwind resulting in 123.877mph within the measured mile. Unfortunately my Record (return) run was against a headwind as well of 4mph, the little pre/unit managed to achieve 130.308mph within the measured mile and at the end the new AMA National record averaged to 127.092mph.

The “Manta Ray” is officially the fastest vintage triumph on gas with a stock rigid frame/iron head but it is not the fastest vintage bike yet because the SCTA World record belongs to a very nice Indian with a 127.835mph from August 1998.

We will be back at Bonneville in October for the “World Finals” and continue to chase the World Record!

Congrats Alp! May the tailwinds be blowing your way, next go around! All you guys have hero status in my book! Keep after it!!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #67
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

congrats on a successful Speedweek outing,
your detail engineering pays off.
Good job.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #68
astek

Thank you guys, you know how much time goes into prepping and racing these old bikes, appreciate your support!

Hey Baron, Congrats on your first year efforts and you guys got a record as well, we'll see you next year!

Here is a pictures from last weekends elco show.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #69
Truckedup

Very impressive Triumph!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #70
astek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Very impressive Triumph!!!
Thanks, I am going to start a new LSR bike, but for another class this time. I will post pics on my site, here and fb.

Triumph Corp. invited the MAnta Ray to the Barber Vintage Festival and to their Dealer conference held at the Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama.

Triumph Castrol Rocket and the Gyronaut X-1 next to my little pre unit racer.

Tyler's "Lowbrow Customs" Double Vision was there as well.

From the inside of the Barber Motorsports Museum.
Left side Castrol Rocket, Right side Gyronaut x-1, The Manta Ray can be seen in the middle.
All those 40 DiSalvo Daytona Replicas were sold in less than an hour!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #71
cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by astek View Post

Good lord that thing sounds sweet at speed. Nice job
cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #72
astek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
Good lord that thing sounds sweet at speed. Nice job
thanks cajun,

We were at the last race of the season, the conditions were not good this time at the El Mirage lake bed, only one run in two days, but the little pre/unit went even faster. Top speed was achieved within a half mile, surface was horrible, lots of wheel spin but still went 132mph.

We are the fastest 650cc Vintage class Triumph but now I am building a Push-rod class special construction bike for next year and I already started the 3d's for the A-PF/G class. It is a tough class, we will be running against a 4V Honda record.
This time we are getting support, I will make an announcement on my fb page. Big surprise coming soon

Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #73
Truckedup

Astek,you've been tearing up the joint with that bike.....

Meanwhile we bumped up our record in ECTA 650 modified production to 120 into a head wind.This has got the attention of a few other guys so our easy ride is gonna be over....
I'm disassembling the engine for inspection. The stock Bonneville head is out for porting work. I fabricated anew exhaust and gonna try flat slide carbs. The pistons show signs of slight valve contact, nothing got bent or dented.....My rider was missing gears, he admitted to crossing the finish line in third at a clocked 116 mph...8300 rpm with the gearing it has. He said the tach went higher on a few missed gears. I told him to stop the drag strip shit and I repositioned the gear lever, no more missed gears. I would fire him,but he pays for the bike build
We are serious about next year,see what happens...

And again ,congrats for making that old engine fly!!!! Maybe we'll met up someday.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #74
astek

Thanks Truckedup,

Congrats on raising the East coast records, your bike is one of my favorite LSRacers, I was very impressed when i saw your dyno video!! Maybe someday we come over and race on asphalt together, but we would like to see your racing machines on the salt!

Seems like you've already sorted out many things, and without all those little issues it is obvious that you guys will be performing better. I wouldn't change the Concentric carbs. As you see I am using the same ones and I think they can make me go even faster! The new Amals are just great carburetors for street and race use. There are other things I would change on the bike but I can’t really tell you everything here
Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #75
Truckedup

Thanks, the ECTA has many very fast records but for some reason the 650 modified production record was only 116 MPH when we started racing.And we race on concrete
The Loring Maine LSR concrete track has bikes at 300 mph,that's hauling ass in a mile and a half standing start.
So you like Concentric carbs? I do also but so many other racers are telling me to get Mikuni flat slides. I hate to change because the Amal's are easy for me to tune...
The speed of your machine is quite impressive and I bet you stand a good chance of beating the four valve Hondas..
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #76
astek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Thanks, the ECTA has many very fast records but for some reason the 650 modified production record was only 116 MPH when we started racing.And we race on concrete
The Loring Maine LSR concrete track has bikes at 300 mph,that's hauling ass in a mile and a half standing start.
So you like Concentric carbs? I do also but so many other racers are telling me to get Mikuni flat slides. I hate to change because the Amal's are easy for me to tune...
The speed of your machine is quite impressive and I bet you stand a good chance of beating the four valve Hondas..
Concrete!! even better,

Yes, Concentrics are great, and you see why I like them. One triumph went 200mph with concentric II’s (round slide and no smoothbore). I do not think we need flatslides at wot, my idea is that a smooth bore or a larger bore is advantageous enough. Another option would be the concentric II smoothbore which is a great race carb.

I am going to run nitro in my new bike so I am thinking of getting a pair of GP’s but I will keep the concentrics on my MVG bike.

After fixing the issues I would run the bike with concentrics and see what happens, I am sure you will make it perform better.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #77
Hoofhearted

I don't believe you need flatslides. I'm running a 45mm round slide Mikuni on my 540cc Weslake and have had good luck with it. 130.244 at El Mirage and 134 at Bonneville means I won't be changing anytime soon.

Congrats Alp for making the top 25 at El Mirage.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #78
Truckedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
I don't believe you need flatslides. I'm running a 45mm round slide Mikuni on my 540cc Weslake and have had good luck with it. 130.244 at El Mirage and 134 at Bonneville means I won't be changing anytime soon.

Congrats Alp for making the top 25 at El Mirage.
On other Brit bike sites guys have been telling me That Mikuni TM 34 mm flat slides are what I should use.Some of these guys are successful road racers.
One mile LSR on pavement is a lot different that that soft surfaces.They don't allow wheel spinning starts but you launch fairly hard and get right on throttle,no traction issues.The flat slide guys claim better throttle response through the gears as the rpm rises and falls between the gears.
But,I don't think our engine is up to full potential for the 32 mm Concentrics on it now....
Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #79
Hoofhearted

For me LSR is flat out and all that really matters is the main jet. True, on the salt you can wind it up and feed the clutch home and spin the tire. On asphalt you have to slip the clutch. Road racers need a carb that will work on part throttle etc. for running through and getting out of corners. I'm a believer in a big hole to let the air and fuel in.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
astek

Lots of progress on the new race bike, I received my Carbs and the primary drive from Newby Racing, Bob made a special race clutch with more plates and with different ratio pulleys.

I also started the new frame, here i'm cutting the 6061 plates. i don't have a mill but i used my drill press to smooth out the corners.

Tags
alp, bonneville, pre unit, salt flats, triumph