Rev Tech 6speed tranny - ANY FEEDBACK - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
panhead-dave

Question Rev Tech 6speed tranny - ANY FEEDBACK

JJer's
Need your help - has anyone purchased a revtech 6 spd tranny ? I believe baker is better tranny ( no proof - only gut feeling), however bakers are expensive. ( tranny is going in 96 roadking, travel 4-5K miles yr) Any feedback on Revtech 6 speed - good - bad or indifferent. Thanks PHD
panhead-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
alaskanrocket

Default Re: Rev Tech 6speed tranny - ANY FEEDBACK

Well...revtech's are made in korea. I'd sepnd the extra dough on a Baker. Although I can't say out of experience I haven't had either.
alaskanrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
BigDawg

Send a message via AIM to BigDawg

RevTech, Roadmax, and Ultima are all going to be inferior to Baker's transmissions, but it's a matter of whether or not you want to shell out the cashish for the Baker. A series of articles were recently published in The Horse regarding the difference between Baker's proprietary gearset versus that of a Roadmax. Shift feeling, dog engagement, lead in ramps, and even materials used were considerably better in the Baker.

Like I said though, you could replace the RevTech a couple of times for the cost of a Baker (and I own a Baker Frankentranny), so it comes down to whether you feel like spending the money on a better quality product that's made in the USA.

The BDAC
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Destralo Roach

The roadmax is hard to get parts for, the revtech is junk, not enless you get it with the german gears, If you cant aford the Baker, then I would reconmend the Ultima over the others.

(REVTECH in Korean translates into English as "JUNK" )
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
bustedlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post

Like I said though, you could replace the RevTech a couple of times for the cost of a Baker (and I own a Baker Frankentranny), so it comes down to whether you feel like spending the money on a better quality product that's made in the USA.
How do you like your Frankentranny?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destralo Roach View Post
The roadmax is hard to get parts for, the revtech is junk, not enless you get it with the german gears, If you cant aford the Baker, then I would reconmend the Ultima over the others.

(REVTECH in Korean translates into English as "JUNK" )
I have to say, I've never been on an Ultima-transmissioned bike that didn't whine, clunk and be a bitch to find neutral.

Love the Baker though.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Larry T

I don't keep up with the new stuff. What's the difference in price in the Baker and a Harley 6 speed? I don't see where the Harley could be much higher.Larry T

My old Panhead build: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Destralo Roach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
I don't keep up with the new stuff. What's the difference in price in the Baker and a Harley 6 speed? I don't see where the Harley could be much higher.Larry T

The H-D trans is Jims.........Roach.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
kevinhog

HAd a Revtec 6 speed behind a 100" revtec motor for 5 years. Beat the holy hell out of it and no problems yet. Shifts well, no problem finding neutral and no weird vibrations. If it were making noise I wouldn't know it with the pipes I'm running. It doest get ridden that much because I have a bunch of other bikesthough, maybe 3000 a year. I've heard all the bad stuff and I haven't had any problems with the tranny or motor in this rig. I would use it again.
kevinhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Destralo Roach

Your lucky, one of my buds had a CCI kit bike and revtech drivetrain, the six started to make niose at about 1700 miles and he put in the thicker gear oil and it made the same noises at about 2500 miles, the bike had about 3200 miles on it when the thing got traded and the motor wasnt getting any better.

Revtechs, one in 10 will go to 35000 miles and one in 200 will go to 100,000 miles, most guys who rave about them have the rare dealer promo bikes, or dont have many miles on them, when you have about 60,000 on a Revtech, with out any major replacments, then ya can talk, the Ultimas can go the hole hog and I waited to see the proof be for I reconmended them.

I only recomend Revtech oil becuase they cant fuck up oil!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
chaoscycle

bakers are the best bar none! that being said alot of the after market tranys come with a good warranty and god knows ive done some warranty work on them and had a few with no problems what so ever. and also i beleive the ultima trany is made by road max, not sure but same quality anyway
Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Blue Collar Moto

The joke was on me when I bought a Rev-Tec. First time out of the shoot it worked great. Problem was a part fell off it and there is no replacement part for it. People say the service is great and they have fixed a lot of the problems over the years but if the Co don't have the parts that fall off the POS then what good does that do? I made something up that will let me run with it but now it leaks like the Korean whore it is. Not enough miles on it yet to say it wont last but the way it leaks and my lazy ass when it comes to checking oil levels............

-Leonardo DaVinci
Blue Collar Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
GRUMPYDGMC

we have used the REV TECH trans several times at our shop and other than some minor noises they worked ok but again they were on low mile bikes...as for the ULTIMA 6 speed trans you can't beat them for the price and quality....i think we have now installed about 2 dozen of them with not one complaint and the price is so low you can buy 3 or more and still pay less than most others...we get them for 550 each with mso....BAKER is a great trans but far far too expensive for us....good luck...
GRUMPYDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote