Norton or how to not behave... - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #21
HD48FL
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,705
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Sorry to gum up your thread, French Owl. I'll stop now.
In reality, this thread was off topic from the start. I left it open, but we have to remember that the focus here is tech and fab. There are still numerous forums out there if people just want to discuss off topic subjects, etc.
__________________
"No one knows what they don't know." - Govmule84, Wannabe Hipster
HD48FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
Sporticus
Senior Member
 
Sporticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,841
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
Social media is what happened. Forums across the board are not what they used to be. Look at how popular blogs once were.
This may be considered off-topic, but I don't think comments about a particular forum can be off-topic when posted on that forum. I agree that social media (Facebook, etc.) has strongly impacted many forums. I honestly hadn't considered that. That aside, I occasionally peruse Chop Cult, which was starting about the same time I took a back seat here. I don't post there mostly because nothing I own or am building fits in, but I'm always looking to learn something new or see something I've never seen. I see a lot of names there that used to be very regular contributors here, though. That's what I was getting at.
Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #23
[JP]
Senior Member
 
[JP]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newbury, UK
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
Sure it's slowed down, but haven't all other forums as well?

This wasn't like the other forums, was different and better.
and maybe because it was always better, the reason why it's still slowly going and moving along...

maybe because the old ones who remember this being constantly buzzing with information and banter still come back, post here and there..in the hope things will be back like they used to be, throwing wood on the fire to keep it burning.

I sure do that. Would be much easier to post my stuff on instagram and facebook adn dont bother with the work that is copying and pasting photos links and stuff like that. but I keep coming back.
__________________
PORTUGUESE MADMAN TRAPPED IN ENGLAND
Instagram - JPINTHEUK

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #24
Stormin
Senior Member
 
Stormin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: near Edmonton, AB
Posts: 112
Smile Re: Norton or how to not behave...

"This wasn't like the other forums, was different and better.
and maybe because it was always better, the reason why it's still slowly going and moving along...

maybe because the old ones who remember this being constantly buzzing with information and banter still come back, post here and there..in the hope things will be back like they used to be, throwing wood on the fire to keep it burning.

I sure do that. Would be much easier to post my stuff on instagram and facebook adn dont bother with the work that is copying and pasting photos links and stuff like that. but I keep coming back."


I really found the rear brake post informative JP, and your current build is fantastic. This is why I enjoy this forum.

I've had my hands slapped for being off topic and now understand the forums purpose and I think it's great, although a little slow sometimes.


Guess I will have to start one myself...soon.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:43 AM   #25
[JP]
Senior Member
 
[JP]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newbury, UK
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

I understand the fact not wanting to turn the forum into a circus and loads of chat posts as this forum always was very technical and a huge source of information.

However.. people do like to have a laugh and go off topic when they are in one place.
And my views are this is like a bar.... yeh you might love that bar you drink at, suddenly the jokes and chats (not sure if the word banter is used in the US? we use it in the UK) stop at the bar and people just talk about work all the time.
Most of them move to the bar down the road - bar 2.
you go there now and again because you like the laugh but you still go back to your old bar.. however, being in 2 bars is getting boring, all this back and forwards is hard work, so you opt for bar 2.. might not have so much tech info, but it has 2 things - tech and chat. the 2 things that made you love the first bar.
__________________
PORTUGUESE MADMAN TRAPPED IN ENGLAND
Instagram - JPINTHEUK

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #26
Tricky-Ricky
Member
 
Tricky-Ricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 71
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

When forums impose too many limitations people leave...add to that social media and it compounds i know because i moderate a long running car forum that used to be buzzing and now its a ghost town,

While tech focus is great...i love a bit of tech but banter and being able to have a little diversity of discussion makes for a well rounded forum i belong to other forums that have imposed too many stipulations and i am watching the decline right now give it a year or two and we can say goodby to forums ...why speed up the inevitable.
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #27
[JP]
Senior Member
 
[JP]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newbury, UK
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

yes that's my views too.
a small completely separate area for "enter at your own risk' where people can chat mundane things and even who knows, about the latest electric bike and what we all think of it would be a good addition.

I beleive people would come more often for a little chat in there, then nip into the tech section, give a couple of replies, go back for a bit more of chat..then realise someone put a new post/reply on the tech and go check what they wrote and so on...
__________________
PORTUGUESE MADMAN TRAPPED IN ENGLAND
Instagram - JPINTHEUK

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #28
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toscana
Posts: 2,281
Default

Look at your posts (posters)and views
There’s a shit load of people lurking (I had a thread like 30,000 looks,and 20, or whatever people made comments )maybe there the types who don’t want instagram look at me look at me.
The only social media I have is here
And I sure as fuck don’t want to be all over the Internet.
It was similar before the purge same old posting.
I look everyday waiting for chicks and bikes to come up
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #29
Medyo Bastos
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mid South
Posts: 67
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

You need to be careful and make sure those are chicks you’re looking at these days!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Medyo Bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #30
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toscana
Posts: 2,281
Default

Heh take a walk on the wild side
Who sung that ?
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #31
HD48FL
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,705
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
When forums impose too many limitations people leave...add to that social media and it compounds i know because i moderate a long running car forum that used to be buzzing and now its a ghost town,

While tech focus is great...i love a bit of tech but banter and being able to have a little diversity of discussion makes for a well rounded forum i belong to other forums that have imposed too many stipulations and i am watching the decline right now give it a year or two and we can say goodby to forums ...why speed up the inevitable.
I disagree, this forum has always tried being on point by not entertaining off topic threads, etc. People have left forums for various reasons, you see that on the car forum that you moderate, it's inevitable. How many people still look at blogs or even maintain them?

You're right, tech focus is great and that's the point. If you start filling it with banter and diversity of discussion, then people haver to sift through more posts to find useful information.

Think meat and potatoes, in my opinion, it's far better to keep the focus simple here.

Look at this thread, it's already gone astray, proving my point. This discussion has come up in the past, there are plenty of other forums if you want off topic threads and the ability to ramble on. Are we having cabin fever?
__________________
"No one knows what they don't know." - Govmule84, Wannabe Hipster
HD48FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #32
Elektron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 133
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Heh take a walk on the wild side
Who sung that ?
David Bowie

One of my favorite songs by him.

"Holly came from Miami F-L-A
hitchhiked her way across the USA... ."
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #33
dusterdude
Member
 
dusterdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: US
Posts: 34
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Lou reed

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:27 AM   #34
Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 7th Stone
Posts: 210
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

There was a good UK site years ago Dirty Bobbers, i think that followed the same pattern and final demise, or was it JJ's popularity that was the nail in the coffin.
Maybe JJ should just have official Jockey Journal instagram site and cater for the nano second attention span, what's a kick starter pedal for, hpster interest crowd.
I saw a reasonably nice sporty chop for sale the other day, reason "tired of the scene", I mean FFS!
just make another dedicated forum for non custom/vintage/4 stroke/technical talk, eezy peezy.
what has this got to do with Norton being bolloxed?
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #35
[JP]
Senior Member
 
[JP]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newbury, UK
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
If you start filling it with banter and diversity of discussion, then people haver to sift through more posts to find useful information.
I think what was meant was a second area just for the mundane discussions - electric bikes, how to roast a pig, etc,etc...

this technical area would still be exactly the same.
then when an offtopic thread would make its way in here would simply get moved over....saving people getting upset for being deleted and them not returning back.


and to reply to a previous post.. yes look at how many people posting and looking at this thread.. so many names that I haven't seen in a while.
why are they posting? because it's something different to comment on. a discussion other than a very technical post.
__________________
PORTUGUESE MADMAN TRAPPED IN ENGLAND
Instagram - JPINTHEUK

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:04 AM   #36
Ratso
Senior Member
 
Ratso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

Dang, JP. Your last paragraph there was just about perfect, thanks.

I say "just about" because I see a second reason for these new posts from old JJers: They're coming out of the woodwork to express their concern about a site that means more to them than, say, ChopCult. And I sure share their concern about keeping the JJ healthy.

With only five years' experience of the Journal, I don't know much about its history (and most old gummers on the site are closemouthed about content thrashes that have taken place in the past). I will say, though, that five, four, three years ago there didn't seem so much concern with content purity. Friday Art, Ugly/Funny, Prettiest [BTF, BSA, Pre-Unit, what have you], Flat Trackers, etc., etc.: there were many threads that couldn't be called tech-oriented, and those threads got a lot of traffic, and at least showed some signs of being widely enjoyed (though maybe I've got that wrong and there were many JJers who thought they were "inappropriate.") For my money, threads like those were a leavening of the Journal's tech-heavy nature, not a distraction or a dilution. (And if somebody started a topic about the best concho-studded chaps to buy, other users were as quick to mock it to death as the mods were to close it.)

I'd just be glad to see just some measured tolerance for not-specifically-technical but broadly interesting threads. Some tech stuff inevitably worked its way even into those, since this is a gearhead-oriented site. It struck me as a real good mix, and I hate to see the JJ go limp in the name of strict tech-content purity.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 AM   #37
Goldy
Senior Member
 
Goldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

I noticed a huge dip in this forum when photobucket started getting greedy, but in truth it was already slowing down....and this thread had gone WAAAAAY off topic, the Dragon must be spinning in his grave (RIP). LOL! Maybe someone should start an 'open forum' thread where everybody could express their opinions on just about anything?
__________________
This too shall pass.
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #38
Tricky-Ricky
Member
 
Tricky-Ricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 71
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

[QUOTE='[JP];2064928']I think what was meant was a second area just for the mundane discussions - electric bikes, how to roast a pig, etc,etc...

this technical area would still be exactly the same.
then when an offtopic thread would make its way in here would simply get moved over....saving people getting upset for being deleted and them not returning back.


and to reply to a previous post.. yes look at how many people posting and looking at this thread.. so many names that I haven't seen in a while.
why are they posting? because it's something different to comment on. a discussion other than a very technical post.[/QUOT]



Spot on with that reply ...i think there is only so much that can be helped with/commented on by whoever has some knowledge to contribute regarding a tech problem so the result is only the few who have pretty extensive or specific knowledge ever comment and to be honest that can get pretty stale....bit like being on a mathematics forum.


But with other slightly more varied content that's not all about tech you will see more people feeling like they are actually qualified to reply....not suggesting a chat section but maybe other not quite so nerdy subjects where people can relax a bit.
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #39
[JP]
Senior Member
 
[JP]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newbury, UK
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Norton or how to not behave...

For example...

I have recently got into upholstery.. yeh, another things to learn and more projects, becuase I don't have enough in my life ahahaha

Anyway, have been learning by myself, using youtube videos. Would love share it here (my first project was a PW80 seat) but haven't because not sure if it's related.... but would be cool to see if anyone here would be into it as well and maybe provide tips on materials etc..

when we think about it, there's quite a few things bike related that maybe don't fall into this technical area, but are still relevant to the every day biker.
Something as simple as 'my butt hurts on long rides, what have you used to help?'

so many seasoned riders here, it's just another thing to share with the younger generation. bikes is not only technical, there's so many other aspects of it.
__________________
PORTUGUESE MADMAN TRAPPED IN ENGLAND
Instagram - JPINTHEUK

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #40
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toscana
Posts: 2,281
Default

Umm JP
Something as simple as 'my butt hurts on long rides, what have you used to help?'
Now we’re back to take a walk on the wild side
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.