Panhead // wide glide // front wheel - SPACING - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
SdRoots

Default Panhead // wide glide // front wheel - SPACING

Mounted up my front wheel yesterday after rebuilding the brake. It spins freely and the drum brake is working... BUT i cannot get it centered between the forks. To me it looks like its gotta move maybe 1/8-1/4 inch over (towards the brake side) to be dead center of the forks. I just am not sure what to do because the brake is flush with the fork leg, and it needs to move further that way.

OR is it alright that it aint dead center between the legs?

My pictures suck, i broke the glass on my camera. Posted anyways to give you an idea of the issue.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0637.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	743.7 KB
ID:	199554

Name:	IMAG0635.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	199562

Name:	IMAG0636.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	199570

Name:	IMAG0640.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	705.2 KB
ID:	199578

Name:	IMAG0641.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	750.3 KB
ID:	199586

Last edited by SdRoots; 11-17-2015 at 09:35 PM.
SdRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
M.O.Ther

Default Re: Panhead // wide glide // front wheel - SPACING

If all the axle/brake/hub/bearing/spacer stuff is stock then perhaps the wheel is laced with some offset in it that doesn't need to be there.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
dbkp

in the first pic, it looks like the fork legs are not parallel,they look pinched inward at the bottom. almost like the non brake side needs to go outward. it could also be an optical illusion( I fall for those)
dbkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
dbkp

in the last pic, the axle looks wrong(sticking out too far past the mounting clamp area). What is the stepped looking spacer against the star cover, I don't think it belongs there. I'm guessing wrong glide axle. Leave the axle nut tight and un clamp the bottom on the other side and see if the leg pops outward a little,

Last edited by dbkp; 11-18-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
'59

not sure about the forks being pinched as it could be just perspective but as above, if they were under compression laterally from the axle being tightened that would be obvious,
picked up a triumph rolling chassis where the PO had set up similar in appearance, how that went in a straight line let alone around a corner, whatever, managed to pull over almost 1/2" by easing and tweaking the spokes.
'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
M.O.Ther

Picking up on what was said above, is it possible you tightened the axle in the wrong order? First you need to tighten the nut on the brake side. There may be a hole in the opposite end of the axle to help with this. Then, with the clamp side loose, bounce the forks up and down a couple times, and only then, tighten the clamp. To do it by tightening the clamp side first, you can not only get the condition you describe in the first post, you also get a condition called "stiction" where the forks don't work like they should, sometimes sticking in one part of the stroke or another.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
rigidpanman

When i had the hydraglide front end on my pan,i had to put a thin spacer between the brake drum and the backing plate to get the wheel centered
rigidpanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
SdRoots

Thanks for all the input, it could possibly be the wrong axle, previously it had a 16in star hub, now I upped it to a 21..

I did install in the correct order, and that stepped spacer is just washers I stacked to take away free play.

I don't think a spacer between the brake drum and backing plate is it because it looks like it needs to scoot towards the brake side, not be spaced away from it...

It honestly could just be the wrong axle, I think that's the most logical. But even so I'm not sure how it would center it, because the wheel will still be off center, and need to move over towards the leg on the brake side.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
dbkp

If you have that many washers to take up slack, then you have the wrong axle. I'm assuming that your 21 is also on a star hub. If the brake side(backing plate, correct brake spacer sleeve, drum, correct hub etc.) is assembled properly, then it almost has to be that the right leg pulled in too close, or the wheel lacing is offset, not centered to the hub as stated above by M.O.ther. The wrong axle is its own issue, but it shouldn't cause a wheel centering issue if everything is correct on the brake side. Did it center OK with the original 16" wheel? If so, then the 21 is the problem. The wrong axle is just a separate issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by dbkp; 11-19-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
SdRoots

Gotcha it did center with the 16in but it didn't have a front brake at all at that time, now I'm adding the drum brake and switching to a 21 (yes star hub)..
Old 12-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
SdRoots

Got the new axle, alignment is great now without the stepped washers. Holding the old one next to the new one you can blatantly see that the old one was incorrect and just chopperly modified to center. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
tomsoftail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdRoots View Post
Got the new axle, alignment is great now without the stepped washers. Holding the old one next to the new one you can blatantly see that the old one was incorrect and just chopperly modified to center. Thanks for the help!
Post the pic
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, drum, panhead, spacing, wideglide