If I said I built this bike... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
BORED

Default If I said I built this bike...

...what would that mean to most here?

Or what qualifies as "a Bike Build"?

This posser-wanabee wants to try a build and the "Guantlet" has been thrown down by some Maestro's,JJ Idols, perfessionals, and guys with too much talent here-he he...more on that on a differrent post.

Do us Possers get a handicap other than lack of talent?

Do the "Pro's" have to bend up and weld their own frame, build a motor and tranny from scratch,lace their own wheels, do their own powder coating and paint, handmake all their own parts?...probably not and of course most don't so...
If they sub out the motor and tranny building, the paint,powder, buy a repop V-twin frame, or use a old rigid HD frame where is the line drawn to be able to say...

"I BUILT THIS BIKE"?

Is a complete tear down and rebuild, a ground up from frame and parts, or combo?

not knockin anybody, only respect for those who can. just goin to have a little fun and understand some ground rules-or not, in another post later for...

"Pros'rs vs. Possers" at a certain little shindig comin up..

Sooo...what's your answer?
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
foxfab

Default Re: If I said I built this bike...

I agree that there is a vague line between a hand built motorcycle and a custom motorcycle that is basically a bunch of parts that are ordered out of a catalog and slapped together. I don't know where I actually draw the line myself but I feel that there should be some amount of actual "hand fabrication" done. I can't stand it when someone says they have a custom bike and it is nothing more then a bunch of crap from a catalog. You gotta have some individuality in the parts you put on. While I won't build my own frame, I do try and hand fab as many of the other components that I can. That is what I classify as a "custom built" motorcycle.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
diponyou

i think if you took a bike that looks like ass, spend a few man hours on it ,and fabing stuff up,and people cant even tell its the same bike.you built it.you dont need to build the damn thing from ground up .shit im telling people i built my bike once im done with it.everybody i know talked all kinds of shit when i first pulled up with it but once its done i think theyll be singing a different tune.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
RODMAN58

When I take a truck bed full of parts I got at the swaps, from friends, off this board (or any place else) and build (rebuild), paint, polish, make what I like, cut, grind, weld, wire and fire that bitch then I build it. Do you get extra penis points if you built the frame from scratch.....sure. I even think you owe props to a guy with enough ambition to build a "kit" bike. No, everyone cannot do it. I guess it just depends. I fully believe the more impressive feat is when the bike is built with a lot of one off, often hand made personal touches. We spent the better part of a day building a license plate bracket for the latest shop bike. A lot of work and we might have gotten a cool (maybe even sorta similar) one out of a book but we wanted an industrial strenght cool as the F**K unit. I think that's what we got. But in the end a guy that puts new grips and pegs on his 07 road king probably didn't really build it himself. IMHO
Rod
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
lotus

to me even if you bought all the parts and put the damn thing together you are better off then most people who buy one complete and just rides it. you are still getting to know the bike/parts and might actually be able to work on it if you break down on a ride.

i do not have the skills to do fab work...wish i did but I do not. I still enjoy working on my cars/trucks/bikes and doing what I can by myself and I am not afraid to farm out anything I can not do. But I give credit where credit is do on that stuff too as it would be wrong for me to say I built this bike myself (have seen people do that).
Old 05-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Marco.Creep

Send a message via AIM to Marco.Creep

"Building" is a loose term...Ive have never seen a "John Q Public" motor. And Im sure there are people out that that hold engineering degrees, with enough skill and talent to Design, Cast, Fabricate and Assemble a totally hand built motor....But Ive never known one or have seen one. There are plenty of people that have the resources to bend tubing and create a frame from raw steel and fabricate fuel tanks, oil tanks, fenders etc. To me building a bike is taking your idea and reshaping someone elses (factory) design. I "built" my first bike in 97...a friend had a shop and crates of parts. I took home what I liked, tore down the motor I chose, and created a cool little scoot. I say "building" is a loose term for the simple fact that if you took the time to redesign, cut, weld and fabricate then you built it. It Now is what it Once wasnt...therefore you built it. But again I think the whole term "build" has been washed over, along with the terms bobber and chopper. I see alot of bobbers that arent bobbed and alot of choppers that arent chopped, and far to many motorcycles that have no soul.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
bigassbike

people know what they are looking at, hopefully.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Flatironmike

okay. yes, i assemble my bikes from scratch using vintage, picked from a catalog, home fabricated, modified, jiggered, unbelievable, what have you stuff.

so, what's that mean? dunno, only that it's my build and yes, I built it.

and yes, i'm a poser.

MC

Last edited by Flatironmike; 05-24-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatironmike View Post
okay. yes, i assemble my bikes from scratch using vintage, picked from a catalog, home fabricated, modified, jiggered, unbelievable, what have you stuff.

and yes, i'm a poser.

MC

I'm still drooling over this bike. Mike nice job and the photo looks great.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
SpunkyTheTuna

Quote:

and yes, i'm a poser.

MC

Ok, Poser, that is one ferociously cool flattie. I wouldn't mind posing it in my garage. In fact, I'd be proud as hell of it, and you oughta be too.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Buster

I've wondered about this myself, and it was the subject of the editorial in last month's issue of "The Horse". I have seen people who have paid people to build an entire bike for them, and then claimed that this is "the bike I just built" (I would say no, in that case), and on the other hand there are also the people (see above) that build incredible unique bikes entirely themselves (obviousl they can say they built it). But what about people like me, who decide how the bike is going to look, sourced the parts, but had to get significant help in assembly? I can't TIG/MIG weld (yet), and had to get significant help from my buddies in assembly and fabrication (the bike shop I hang out at is sort of a collective, beer in the evenings type of place run out of a large garage behind of the guys' houses). The only part I can say I did totally myself was the hand-tooled seat, but I had a part in virtually all stages of construction, and did most of the initial fab works on tabs for the frame, sissy bar, etc... Am I allowed to say that I "built" this bike? I dunno, it sure feels like my build, and yet I sometimes feel guilty saying it.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
AJH

Quote:

and yes, i'm a poser.

MC

hey I thought I had the title as biggest poser there pussy cat

Old 05-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
motomotard

there he goes again, flatironmike always stealin the show. fancy pants.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
hatch
Banned

I grew up with little cash, but an intense desire to have something cool....so I learned how to do everything I possibly could. I only farm out the machine work these days. I have great respect for other peoples talent.....and feel blessed that I can do what I do, and get inspiration from other peoples work. Since other peoples opinions don't affect me, I just build for the fun and don't really know where to draw the line on this issue. Like the old saying goes...."Call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner"....(I'll be home after a ride on my scoot!)
Old 05-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
daytonabobber69

This topic is boring.......hows about.... who's the coolest kid in school?
Old 05-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
AJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonabobber69 View Post
.... who's the coolest kid in school?
John Bender or Jim Stark , or Rusty James fuck that its a tuff call

Last edited by AJH; 05-24-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
chopaweeza

Send a message via Yahoo to chopaweeza Send a message via Skype™ to chopaweeza

I'll chip my 2 cents worth in. The amount of effort someone puts in counts for alot in my book as does originality .While the bikes I build could never in the vaguest sense be classed as anything other than hand built I do understand that the line between Built & Assembled is a wobbly one. The way I class it is that if a shop puts together a purely catalogue bike then it's assembled and WTF , it's the way they make money so I don't sweat it . But , if a mug punter off the street without access to the sort of facilities a full sized shop offers does the same then I think he's earned the right to say he's Built it. Kit Bikes are now a very sad reality and while some even look cool I honestly don't think that assembling a kit bike is Building it. Shit , just because I can follow the instructions that come with Ikea flat pack cupboards does not make me a cabinet maker does it?

But , Damn that Flattie is Kool
Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
herecomesmongo

\ Who cares? Why does everyone waste so much bandwidth arguing semantics? This is a bobber, this is a chopper, builder-assembler, blah blah.
Some of the longest threads are about this kind of stuff. Sorry, but it's boring and unproductive.

The horse is a really good example. They spend soooo much time railing about OCC, (pages dedicated to playground style caricatures and such, that could be used to print pictures and commentary on awesome bike stuff, like the rest of the mag...) and complaining about Roland Sands, and how he said something mean about choppers. (although they dont seem to mind his advertising dollars..). Sure, OCC is lame, And Roland Sands seems to posess an ego the size of texas, but so what? Just concentrate on being awesome. The horse IS pretty awesome. I just wish they would knock this shit off. Same thing here too.

PS: I think RSD makes some pretty cool stuff. There, I said it.
Closed Thread