OT 4 the kids - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
JOE P

Default OT 4 the kids

little of topic here but just wondering what you guys do for your kids, I mean yours, next door kid, grandkid, you get what Im saying.
I use to get a little slack from the old lady for being out in the shop to much and not spending enouff time with the kid. So I figured, I like being in the shop so why cant they come to me. What can I do to make my kid be more of a out in the shop, and away from the dam tv/video game/computor/so on, well here you go. I asked my lttle girl, Girl what would you like daddy to build for you in my shop, Im thinking shes going to say swing set, jungle jim, sand box or something on the lines of that, surprise, Daddy I want you to build me a motocycle like yours so I can go riding with you, I about fell out of my chair. So off to the drawing board we went. Grabed a 13hp honda motor I had laying around, couple of pieces of 1" dom, frt end of a moped and bam......her sitting on it getting the little things figured out.

Know this ones been done since this past winter, and well its a bit to much for a 6yr girl since wide open it goes about 50mph, so we had to come up with sumn else, I made her think really hard on the next daddy and daughter project and she came up with a few off the wall things, but last night she had a dream, daddy she says, I want my little red wagon to go fast. I said what to you mean, she says, I want you to take that, pointing at a B/S 7.5 hp motor laying under the bench and put it on my wagon. No shes my little everything, but to here this come out of my little girls mouth was priceless, i mean priceless. So we have a little red wagon sitting on jack stands in the shop with all the parts laying around it to get started on it. Im just as happy working on this stuff for her as I am working on any of the bikes,cars,boats or what ever else I might have going. Dam its nice to be a dad..........pics of wagon to come....you going to like this thing. Sorry for the OT post but what do you guys build for the kids?
JOE P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
jammon3

Default Re: OT 4 the kids

Thats a really cool idea! The longer I'm a father the more I've come to understand that's it's not really "what" your doing with them but that your doing whatever it is with them. Time and positve attention are what kids crave from their parents. I do alot of leatherworking as a hobby and side business, I have 3 awesome helpers that often turn out work that is really cool!
jammon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
scraper

dig it - thats cool. no kids for me yet but i have a little bro who's 12. he's been my main riding partner this summer. he really digs riding with me on my scrambler. saturday we rode about 190 miles together, took him down some dirt roads on a shortcut to the lake. swam for a bit, rode some more to a rope swing that plops your ass in the river. rode some more, ate at the drive in joint, rode some more. spent all day riding & swimming. he was so beat i think he was half asleep on the way home.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
the roman

6 yr old---- having her do stuff around the house and in the garage so she can "save" for her first bike (wants a 50cc to run around the track)
4 yr old---- taking him to races... he's not so interested in the actual doing of it but loves to go for a blast up and down the driveway on the tank or cruise in daddies car loves the paint mostly so.... if he wants, the Iwata's going in his hand.
3 yr old--- having him take things apart with me, assembled and dissasembled the 45 just because he wanted to see how things work and "daddy, how do you make a motorcycle?" (it was just in mock-up)
1.5 yr old--- just make motor noises with him and give him a kiss as soon as I take off the helmet and he runs to the fence..

more plans, that's why we're getting into flattrack racing as a family. Just to spend the time together and teach them the value of doing something themselves, reading, learning, talking to alllllllll kinds of people and mostly giving them the confidence that they can tackle anything by knowing what the problem is, who can help them and where to look for the information.

the roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Nottso

I have made it a strict personal policy to not post "+1," or "that's peachy neato keen," or other such meaningless bullshit. Now, however, I can't help myself.

Excellent post, Joe. Thanks for sharing it, and I for one am looking forward to pics of the wagon "build."
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Kev Nemo

My soon to be 14 year old just asked for his first dirtbike (he's been riding a friend's this summer), so we'll look into getting a project off CL when he gets back next week. It'll be tied to his grades, and if he's like his old man, he'll do what he has to to ride.

Couldn't get him into the '62 Impala project, but the bike fascinates him. Small workspace so a project bike works better than project car
Kev Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
el krapp

i shoot my kids into a tissue about 2-3 times a week
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Harkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by el krapp View Post

Me too, that way I can spend more money on useless junk
Harkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
BadMonkeyMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by el krapp View Post
Oh yes, I've given birth to thousands of 'knuckle children'. It's the only way to fly.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Billdozer2

13 year old on a 56 year old bike. He can start it but not riding it yet. Both my kids love getting dropped off at school on a motorcycle, way better than staring at Barney on the headrest TV set...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
hdshovel82

my 9 yo daughter and myself started an ironhead project with an amen plunger frame setup.she digs it and we get spend time together.its a no hurry kinda thing. bikes hers when its done so its fine if it takes a while.
hdshovel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Brundlefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkins View Post
Me too, that way I can spend more money on useless junk
Same here! Greasy shop towel is my preference. You don't want to walk around my shop with a blacklight. That sum bitch would light up like a Christmas tree!!

The "Fly"

-Dragon-
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
h8ter

Billdozer2, that is an awesome bike. I'm in Murrieta, I'd love to see it around sometime.
h8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Billdozer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8ter View Post
Billdozer2, that is an awesome bike. I'm in Murrieta, I'd love to see it around sometime.
Thanks man, it'll be on the road again soon.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Yamaha_chop

My little girl just turned 5 months old, and I can't stop thinking of different things to try to build for her. My latest idea is a rocking Chopper, I was all about chopping her tricycle until my wife put a stop to that
Yamaha_chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
choppercopper1

I figured I would start my daughter off slow so I got her this. Now mind you she is only 7 months old. My wife laughed at me but it is cool as hell. We will work our way into bigger and faster bikes as she gets older.
choppercopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
el krapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppercopper1 View Post
I figured I would start my daughter off slow so I got her this. Now mind you she is only 7 months old. My wife laughed at me but it is cool as hell. We will work our way into bigger and faster bikes as she gets older.
what a dick, you said you bought that for me? your illegitimate child
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
bhead1968

Wife leaves me alone with the kids, can't ride...hmmmmm... boys lets go outside for some summer fun...

bhead1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #19
Halseth

kids rock. period.
Here's a vid of my 7 year old Cameron donating some labor on a fender.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Xa0FIjoQRmU&amphl=en&ampfs=1[/URL]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

finished:

Last edited by Halseth; 08-19-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Halseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #20
whiskytango

A shopping trip through Walmart is the world's best birth control for me...but I'm a single guy...seeing cool pics and anecdotes like that always get me thinking how cool it would be to have a couple kids......well, better head to Walmart...
whiskytango is offline   Reply With Quote