Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
iiggii

Default Re: Funny numbers ?

yup fishy.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Larry T

I don't like the way they look, but the fonts on the numbers look right, don't they? Not many stamp sets have straight back 6/9 and the 2 with the tail on it.

My old Panhead build: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
greasystain
Banned

it could have been legally done by a harley mechanic repairing a case or replacing the case. do those years still have line bore numbers on the bottom?
greasystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
panheadmark

Maybe that was done on Friday after happy hour lunch! And rember hash was legal till 1970
panheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
JAWS

Odd number years had odd numbers for the first digit after the model.....65 is odd, but 2290 aint!

Or am I messed up?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
caschnd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Odd number years had odd numbers for the first digit after the model.....65 is odd, but 2290 aint!

Or am I messed up?
Yup. That's the dead giveaway. Those numbers are bogus.

-Craig
caschnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
caschnd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post

Or am I messed up?
Yup. That's the dead giveaway. Those numbers are bogus.

-Craig

EDIT- the add says its a 66 so the first two digits must be 66. Looks like 65 in the photo but that may be a shadow. If that's the case, the 2290 after FLH is ok. These numbers may be fine. I found two other examples from 66 with straight back sixes.

http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/

I'm more bothered by the cracks near the timing plug.

Last edited by caschnd1; 07-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.
caschnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Bogus!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Larry T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
Hatch, you got good eyes..(At least for spotting a deal)...

Is that second number a five or a six...???
66 Shovelhead.

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Winston Wolf

I'd check the case numbers to see if they match. And look at the back top of the case halves, they should have an "H" stamped into each half if its an FLH. Does dude have a title that matches up?
Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
slim55g

As a 66, I have no issue with those numbers, as a 65 however there is many ???. I would first look at the belly line bore numbers & then rear case halves motor mount. Then, does the title say 66 or 65? Kinda hard to jump to conclusions before a complete investigation is conducted. It may be completely legitimate, or not!!!

Last edited by slim55g; 07-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
slim55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Larry T

Kinda drifting off topic, but there were folks that modified stamps to make straight back 6/9, probably still are. Anyway, they ground the leg off a curved 9 or the bottom off an 8 and used a 1 to make the straight back for the number.

If you look closely at the numbers on the polished 65 cases that Jesse posted, the 6 and the 9 are a little suspect. They look like they might have been stamped by two seperate stamps. I would probably pass on this bike before I passed on the numbers in the original post, although there's something I don't like about them too. Maybe grind marks?

Last edited by Larry T; 07-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
slim55g

If you go to the cl AD , blow up the pic, it looks like shadowing or grease/oil in the groove of the 6's if you look to the left of the vin pad, you will see the same lateral grooves. It is my opinion that it's the picture does not do it justice, the very same marks are on the case to the left of the pad, making it legitimate.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
MIKE47

I'm no AMCA expert or HD history buff but those original posted numbers, at least from what I see i the pic without enhancement software look just fine. They look like typical factory "I had a couple beers at lunch" placement and spacing. Its a 66 so even number rule/straight back and the numbers boss looks even and raised about the right amount. If the belly numbers matched and didn't look tampered, the paper was in order, and the price was agreeable I'd not hesitate. If in doubt, have the guy go to DMV with you to do the paperwork. If anything is gonna come up it'll happen there. The police here will even do a VIN verification running the numbers through NCIC database to verify it's not hot if you ask nicely.

Forgot to add that the bike (engine anyway) is approaching 50 years old. So replaced and restamped cases are kinda gonna be a part of life for a good bunch of bikes out there that are available. Great craftsman that can do number job are hard to find. One with skill to do it near flawless even more so. But there's been a shit ton of "good" repair guys that can swap a case and clean/restamp a number pretty ok though. So if was a restamp and the numbers are clean and the paper is good then why not buy it. I understand that the resale to a collector or whatever may be price reducer but for a chopper or ridden bike?

Last edited by MIKE47; 07-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
MIKE47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

it's a well known fact that dealerships stamped replacement cases all the time, (and there are still number sets available out there). the fact that those numbers don't look like they came from the MoCo does not mean the cases are stolen or even the numbers were illegally done.
There are instances where replacement Shovel cases are stamped with Pan numbers and no crime was committed.

If the numbers are not on the NCIC list, and an acid test does not show it's been altered, the paperwork matches those numbers then ......"Move along folks, There's nothing to see here".

Last edited by Tony the torch; 07-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the torch View Post
it's a well known fact that dealerships stamped replacement cases all the time, (and there are still number sets available out there). the fact that those numbers don't look like they came from the MoCo does not mean the cases are stolen or even the numbers were illegally done.
There are instances where replacement Shovel cases are stamped with Pan numbers and no crime was committed.

If the numbers are not on the NCIC list, and an acid test does not show it's been altered, the paperwork matches those numbers then ......"Move along folks, There's nothing to see here".
Probably true, but I don't want cases like that... there's an exception to every rule, this might be a time when being the exception is not a good thing.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
redasphalt3

Send a message via AIM to redasphalt3

isnt the acid test to see if the number boss has been welded on? If so, any case that has cracked and was repaired in that area would fail the test. I could be wrong though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the torch View Post

redasphalt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Rem

Looks like it needs rescuing from that frame, whatever its history . . .
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redasphalt3 View Post
isnt the acid test to see if the number boss has been welded on? If so, any case that has cracked and was repaired in that area would fail the test. I could be wrong though
the acid test will show the molecular compression area of a stamped number, similar to a magna-flux crack signature
as I have been told by CHP the acid test is it is used injunction with a a photo enhancement program that ignores the existing numbers and will define compression areas of the previous numbers.

but if the cops find an altered vin area your done anyway, they will impound it as an "altered vin" even if they can't find an old number,
we all know it's against the law to alter a vin stamping even it it ain't stolen.

but dealer stamped cases are not altered.

Last edited by Tony the torch; 07-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote