86 evo sportster question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
craigtheheathen

Default 86 evo sportster question

I know little about sportsters but came across what looks like a good deal (price-wise) on an '86 evo sporty 883 here locally - $2k. Runs and has clean title supposedly, I haven't seen it yet. Can you gurus school me on what to look for with this first year evo? Should I stay away for any reason? I'm not a bike mechanic by any means but I have done a bit of car motor work including a couple complete builds so I'm not afraid of something that needs some garage-level TLC. Might also look at doing the 1200 kit on it as a primer on top end innards if I can find a knowledgeable local to help school me some. Planning to get by and see it this weekend maybe.

I have an '82 superglide basket build I have been collecting parts for and have to roller status but it's going slow and thought this would be nice to bomb around on in the meantime and maybe chop up later when the other is complete...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
shagy

Default Re: 86 evo sportster question

buy it and chop it
shagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
LTW

the stator is on the clutch hub. when the magnets drop they get chewed up and its time for another clutch hub (with sealed magnets) and sometimes new trapdoor/trans rebuild.

also, (as roach can illustrate more) the main shaft is a weak point. non tapered and tends to give out. also the 4 speed trans isn't for some... either way i've heard you want to change the rear and front sprocket if/when you do the 1200 conv.

other than that my 86 is pretty solid. i have issues with the crane hi4, but that's not the bikes fault.
LTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
kickstarts

Nice bikes. Nice engines. Very reliable if taken care of. If you need parts for an Evo Sporty, they are everywhere and for super cheap. Tons of aftermarket stuff and used parts everywhere you look. I've had both 4 speed and 5 speed versions and I like the 4 speed better. Easy to work on and they're laid out well enough.

Like LTW said about the charging system. You can find all this stuff cheaply used as well if you need it. Rocker box gaskets tend to dry out on the bottom and leak but like everything else on the bike, pretty easy job to replace.

2 grand is a good price at the beginning of the season. Jump on it if it's decent.

Buy it and have fun with it. I'd leave it as is and ride it til your other project is finished. Good luck.
kickstarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
kickstarts

Take cash with you and a pick up truck and ramp and wave a little less under his nose, you'll probably get it cheaper!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
craigtheheathen

Thanks for the input folks! Hope it's still there later...
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Destralo Roach

Yep, LTW coverd all the basses, but the Right side Pinion shaft is what he ment, on the motor cam side, it will have the splinde shaft/gear that drives the cam's and can ware and shift the timing, the mid 1987 went to the taperd pinion and is better and the upgrade, but you can use green gapfilling loktite on it instead to save ya some bucks, any ???? after ya get it feel free to P.M. me and I will help ya....Roach.

(Thanks for the plugg LTW! )
Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Zich11

I thought 87 was intro year for evo sportster?
Zich11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
kickstarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zich11 View Post
I thought 87 was intro year for evo sportster?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
craigtheheathen

Thanks. Is the 4-speed tranny the same as the ironhead? Just wondering about part availability.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
kickstarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtheheathen View Post
Thanks. Is the 4-speed tranny the same as the ironhead? Just wondering about part availability.
Some of the pieces in the gears sets are the same as very late Ironheads but not the early ones. Some pieces are 86 only, some are 84-90, blah, blah, blah. There are probably more parts available for the Evo 4 & 5 speeds than the Ironheads but almost everything for all years is available. Not a problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
craigtheheathen

I passed on it after seeing it. It's still a fair price with its issues but I can't afford to put more in it immediately and he wouldn't come down at all. It needs new forwards - one was broken so he's rolling with one forward and one mid and didn't have a mate for either. The mid was the shift side and even the mid peg was a little bent so it was an odd test ride... Seemed to shift okay when I got my foot on the shifter right.

Also, it looked like someone took off the choke and jb welded over the area so I assumed I would need a new carb as well. Looked like the original butterfly type. It started right up but he admitted it was tough to start when cold - he'd had it running right before I got there. The tins were nice shape but most everything else was rough looking, some surface rust and corrosion on most fasteners and even a little on the frame. Obviously stored outside for a period. It ran very well so it's probably not a bad price but I promised the wife not to get something I had to put money in this year to make it go.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
kickstarts

Evo Sportys are a dime a dozen. Don't feel bad, there are 500 more right behind it, though usually not that cheap. You'll probably get another chance at one next week! It's good you knew when to say "when". Some people just buy it no matter what and then bitch about the money they had to spend on it to get it roadworthy. Oh well!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
craigtheheathen

Well, if I were a real man I would gnaw a new forward set out of an old bumper or just jockey shift it and rig a suicide clutch but I'm not there yet... I want to get my riding skills back before I go adding any of my crappy custom fab work into the equation
Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Destralo Roach

Well, you know, dont piss off the wife, good move, sounds like it could have been a real can of worms, I'd passed as well with all that was wrong and he wouldnt come down on the price!! Ef him I say...Roach.