Shipping methods (hopefully help folks put cashin their pockets) - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
sideshow01

Default Shipping methods (hopefully help folks put cash in their pockets)

I've seen a lot of posts recently about shipping bikes and motors etc. Seems like there are a lot more FS's than WTB's in the classifieds thes days, which I'm sure has to do with the shitty economy. Also seems like prices have gone down a bit, which means folks are getting desperate. So, I thought a little info on shipping heavy stuff might help make some of those big-ticket items fly off the shelves a little faster. If anyone else has other methods, post 'em up and be as detailed as possible. The easier the better.

Here's my contribution:

Last Christmas, I gave my brother-in-law a Triumph project I had in my garage. I needed to get it from Jersey to Northern California. Now granted it was a project and wasn't running... but for all intents and purposes it was complete with frame, bars, wheels, motor, oil bag, fender... the list goes on. it was an assembled roller.

I broke it down to several pieces, and shipped it via DHL. 1 box for the motor (complete), and one for each wheel. I was able to break down the front end and get it in one of the wheel boxes along with the fender. The other wheel box held all the other loose pieces. I capped the sharp edges of the frame with cardboard, wrapped the whole thing in plastic and taped the fuck out of it (no box needed).

I booked shipping through the DHL website, and was able to schedule a pickup on a day I knew I would be home. They backed right up to my garage, and helped me load it all. Easy as pie.

Total cost for all the pieces was under $200. Didn't have to drive to a dropoff location, no crates needed and it was deliverd right to his address.

BUT!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE CHECK THE INSURANCE ON YOUR PACKAGES!
Since I was doing several waybills at a time, a lot of the info I was using, was reused on each new waybill I created. One package had a lower insurance value than it should have (my own fault). Lo and behold, THAT one got lost. I'm sure it had to do with the fact that it was Christmas, and that it was traveling to a fairly remote location. To DHL's credit, I filed a claim along with a few photos of completed auctions on Ebay (for cost reference) and I received a check without any hassel. It wasn't THAT much lower, but I could have squeaked out some more cash if I got it right the first time.

I can't remember the exact costs, but the motor was under $90, the frame was like $30-ish, one wheel box was around $40-ish and the other (with the front end) was a little more.

Hope that helps, maybe others have some better methods.
-BK
sideshow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
wahoo172

Default Re: Shipping methods (hopefully help folks put cashin their pockets)

Must just be DHL, cause I just shipped a frame to MA from FL, cost $120. That was UPS ground
wahoo172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
front st cycle

didn't DHL go out of business?
front st cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
sideshow01

Please don't take my cost as the rule. Adjustments are made based on package size, distance from central hubs, number of packages... etc. Also, just a few months ago, gas prices had a big effect on shipping costs, and times. I've used BenD before, and he's been very reasonable with his prices. I was going to use him to ship this bike as well, but he would have had to go out of his way to get it there. This ended up being surprisingly cheaper.

Also I neglected to mention that it was just the front loop. Rear section was sent separately. I needed to swap it out with one I had on another bike, so it was sent a couple weeks later. so Yes, it was an extra couple bux. I looked at everyone I could think of... Seems like DHL is never really a "first choice" for most folks.

-BK
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
sideshow01

Did they? I suppose it's possible... Lot's of big names are going under lately. their site is still up though.

http://www.dhl.com/splash.html
Old 12-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
front st cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow01 View Post
Did they? I suppose it's possible... Lot's of big names are going under lately. their site is still up though.

http://www.dhl.com/splash.html

looks like they may have stopped shpping inside the US...

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...110_975682.htm
front st cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
sideshow01

damn... well, good to know! I just went to the site to see if I could pull up my waybills and give a little more accurate info. I had no trouble getting in and didn't see anything about it.

Either way, my post isn't intended to encourage the use of DHL per se, just an attempt to get some ideas out there for folks who may be hesitant to buy large items from the classifieds section because of shipping cost and aggravation.

-BK
Old 12-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Dragon

I'll add to this, the middle part is copied from a Horse post I made on the subject yesterday re shipping small stuff from home.

But the online-shipping described below applies to larger pieces as well (short of crated engines shipped via truck freight).

Frames I pad with lengths of foam water pipe insulation, duct-taped & doubled over sharp protrusions.

Another secret with home-UPS shipping of frames is in how you take the measurement. "Height" can be a diagonal of the largest span like from the footpeg mounts on a HD up to the top tube. Rigids are usually 54 x 24 x 12".

Taken to a "UPS Store" it will get boxed, categorised into a very expensive second-oversize dimension, or refused.......I see so many ebayers charging $150 to ship a frame, I have sent dozens from home and never paid even $70 max coast - to - coast, usually 40-50.

Heavy items like transmissions or lower ends are safest in the heavy plastic 'totes' or storage containers. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and lay in the bottom, pad around the bottom & sides with empty water bottles (lids on). Then drill and zip-tie all around the edge of the container's lid to secure it closed.

With frames and totes, it's obviously safer to handle (for the person carrying and contents) because of having "handles".....however UPS will come back and bill you another $6 for "item not enclosed in cardboard". To me it's worthwhile 'insurance' from dropping.

Been doing this (selling parts online) as a home-biz for 7 years now....This may get long...

Liquor & other stores for boxes is free if you find the ones that still put them outside & dont bale & recycle them themselves.

For larger items like tanks/seats, you can get the best deal on new boxes from moving companies, Uhaul stores, or mini-storages that sell moving supplies as a sideline.

They also have specialty boxes like the dish "barrel" which is double-thickness and the mirror/picture carton for large flat items, 4 sections apiece (good for "fabricating" odd-shaped boxes). Also un-printed newsprint sheet paper for wadding-up, and rolls of bubble.

The way to throw away money fast is carry a loose part to a "UPS Store" and have them pack it.

The best way to save is pack yourself, have a digital scale and online-accounts with UPS and USPS (mail). Only takes a credit or debit card and you can print pre-paid labels for either yourself.

UPS - http://www.ups.com/ - with an account you can get very accurate time & $$ estimates, get insurance, print labels for your package, online-request a same- or next-day pickup from your home or shop, and get free email tracking (damn good tracking, every time the piece changes trucks or hands).

USPS - http://www.usps.com/ - you can ship PriorityMail, which has free tracking numbers emailed, and can buy insurance for another layer of tracking. Also you can order a huge assortment of free boxes in any quantity, delivered free. You can schedule online next-day pickup for items bigger than your mailbox.

I find it handy to use a Paypal debit card for all these related costs, supplies and online labels. One plus is that Paypal credits you back 1% onto your balance, kinda helps offset the 3% they hit you for to take a payment.

************************************************** ********************************
************************************************** **************************************

About the only safe way to ship a complete engine is within a solid wood crate, via truck line.

Once crated weighed & measured, use someone like https://www.freightquote.com/Public/Home/FQ/Home.aspx . They will find a carrier and make up the shipping papers.

It will cost less to take it to a terminal and have your buyer pickup likewise. Pickups and short trucks with liftgates involved add to the cost.

Start your crate with 3/4" plywood for the floor & two or three 2x4 'feet' so a forklift can get under it.

Then bolt an engine stand in place, and bolt your engine to it.

Go on up with 1/4" sides and top with 2x2" or 2x4" pieces in each corner, drywall screws via cordless drill/driver tying it all together.

Happy building -

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
lackluster

I've got a '68 Shovel being shipped from 1500 miles away for $300. Its a complete non-running cobbled together monstrosity at this point. I added up the round trip cost for me including the 3000 miles worth of gas, tolls, a hotel for one night, and food for a couple days on the road. Not even including my time and even now that gas is $1.60 a gallon, I couldn't do it for under $375. Supposed to be here this weekend so I can tear into it and pull off all the ugly stuff. I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and not have to tear it down, box it all up, and then put it back together.
lackluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
RODMAN58

UPS will always rob you.

DHL is going to shut down in the USA but no just yet.

I used fedex. They are always at least 30% cheaper than UPS. The fedex lady told me she could garantee it. It also helps to build a relationship with the folks at the counter. I know my girls cut me a better deal because I always use them. Even the guy at the package store up the road (who is an independant shipper) will always give me his best rate and 99% of the time it's fedex.
Rod
RODMAN58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
BIG WHEELS

anyone in the USA shipped any engines,, frames, over to ENGLAND, just wondering about the shipping cost's,, ??
BIG WHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
flying eyeball

Just wanted to bump this back up.

Just wondering what kind of rates people are paying right now for shipping frames etc? And, who are you guys using?

Reason being...I need to ship a moulded swingarm arm frame with tank, shocks and all a couple thousand miles.

Let me know if I missed a better thread as well.

Thanks

Know the Truth: www.wm3.org

beware the knowers...
flying eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
lackluster

I shipped a frame through Greyhound Express for $75 a few months ago. Usually takes a little longer because they just ship it on one of their buses. Also shipped one UPS from MN to CA a couple months ago and it ran about $110. I like to buy stuff right before big swaps and events like the Davenport swapmeet. If you know that people are coming from all over the country and all over the world, you can usually find someone whose already headed that way and will haul if for free. I've got a '59 Bonneville coming from Syracuse, New York and ending up in my garage in Minnesota that I won't have to pay any shipping on because a guy I know was already planning on making the drive.
lackluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Coco

In the last little while I've had 2 motors shipped up here from the USA. I used Fedex Freight and it was much ceaper than UPS and others. I did use Reimer and their US affiliate getting one motor up here and it was a good price but when I contacted them again about another motor.....they told me no dice.

A lot of freight companies won't ship private goods anymore these days so sometimes we're stuck with using the big boys like UPS, Fedx ect.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
rick in va

when you pack a frame turn it upside down it will be a smaller box. the hight will be a lot shorter. try it you see.
rick in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
flying eyeball

Thank you guys for chiming in....

just sent a narrowglide from seattle to ohio and it cost $60

My shipper uses all the major shipping companies and this was the best price.

Any ideas for getting better rates?

beware the knowers...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
ol_scratch

I just had a ducati 500 GTL sport complete engine and frame shipped via Fedex, and it'll will end up being about a little over a hundred, maybe 120.00. Now granted the most helpful seller was kind enought o break the engine from the frame and send separate. But combined, the two packages shipped equaled 120.00 at most
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
flying eyeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_scratch View Post
I just had a ducati 500 GTL sport complete engine and frame shipped via Fedex, and it'll will end up being about a little over a hundred, maybe 120.00. Now granted the most helpful seller was kind enought o break the engine from the frame and send separate. But combined, the two packages shipped equaled 120.00 at most
That seems like a pretty good deal.

How far away was the seller?

beware the knowers...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
shagy

usps does flat rate shipping its good for smaller parts as long as it fits in the box there is a flat rate on the shipping. Makes it nice when getting things shipped over seas and everywhere else I end up.
shagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Billy Whiz

I just arranged a shipment thru freightquote.com - a lady called Louise Cardinal helped me out - she called me back and handled all the paperwork for me! 10/10 for customer service. My consignment was a "fiddly" one - a crated motor plus a small package for the same address. I also had the delivery tuned for a business address collection but to a residential delivery address - that saved $110.
The cost from Loomis Ca to San Diego CA - $188 door to door next day delivery for the motor in it's shipping crate. Fingers crossed I get it friday!!
FEDEX QUOTED $725.... :-(

Last edited by Billy Whiz; 03-28-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: INFO ADDITION
Billy Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote