Anyone ever had an idea/part patented - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
shagy

Default Anyone ever had an idea/part patented

Just currious..... I have some ideas that I would like to patent and I know that there are many industry and creative people on the board. How hard is it and what all is involved?
shagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Peel

Default Re: Anyone ever had an idea/part patented

Just post up your idea here and someone will surely help you out.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Gordo-uk

With photos......drawings....etc
Gordo-uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Underworld stevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagy View Post
Just currious..... I have some ideas that I would like to patent and I know that there are many industry and creative people on the board. How hard is it and what all is involved?
Yes, I have done it in NY. Shop around for a patent attorney. The price range can really vary. For a US patent, can cost about $12,000 to $30,000 - and the company I used in the end was a lot more proffesional, for a lot less and did the same job. I think a worldwide patent was going to cost at least around $100,000. But shop around.

There are a lot of loop holes for any possible competition and you really need to figure if a patent is going to work for you and be worth the money you will spend.
You need to weigh this cost up against the amount you will profit or lose if some one else goes into competition with your idea. Only you can decide that - by how how great you think your idea/product is, how deep your pockets are and your marketing abilities etc etc....

When you apply, it can take about 1 - 2 years for it to go thru the pending stage via the US patent office, and might not be approved in the end, after spending all that money. There's a lot more to it than we can go into here.

From what I understand, a US patent protects you against US manufacturers copying it in the US and selling in the US. Other countries can manufacture your idea, but are prohibited from selling within the US - but can do what they want in other countries.

I always felt that some of "those" countries will not care and will try and sneek it through in another guise if they can. Of course, the idea has to be good enough for them to want to do/make it in the first place. But if there is a buck in your idea, they will more than likely give it a go.

A worldwide patent is just that. But just for example sake, imagine if some corporation in the US or foreign, wanted to take your idea and make it anyway? If you decided to fight them to prevent them, how much can you afford to fight them? Costs in fighting could be prohibitive and this needs to be weighed up as well.

You may just be better off with a "copyright". I am not too familiar with this, but I know it's a much cheaper and easier option for quicker protection. Others may be able to fill you in on this better than I can.

Run your idea past a Patent Attorney first and get all the guff before you spend too much.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
TurboRoadster

yes I have, its expensive and even though the guvment gives a price break to the smal guy, its still an ass raping by the attorneys etc etc.
on top of all of that, if its a good idea, then it will get stolen / copied and you will spend oodles on attorneys getting "cease and desist" papers filed and by the time you get the action order, the other "guys with bigger money" have already copied and saturated the market and also establishing the "this company has those items" in the public mind, so no matter what, your the loser, they are the winner.
just my real world experience.

Highway HorrorS cc
TurboRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
shagy

damn the man .......
Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Underworld stevo

Yeah, sometimes I think you are just better off just going for it and be the first and best out there before others can pick up on it - get the name for what you do First - and forget all the protection stuff and save that money for a big party for us all instead.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
crebo

Quote:
damn the man .......
+1
Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
racerx

I have several through the company I work for, and yes most of what was already said is true.
Takes a long time, will cost thousands of $$, and also requires maintenance costs. It is also only good for seven years.

You should also have a plan in place for whether it is something you are going to produce or try to sell the patent or rights or idea to another company.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
80shovel
Banned

If you do patent something, try not to sell to Wally world, I have been told they will purchase a small lot and send it to China to have replicas made. Have a friend that was making garden lighting and they copied his idea and mass produced them.
80shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
JoeShovel

I had an idea and called up on my own as I didn't have the money for an attorney and searching fee's etc... try http://www.uspto.gov/ to start with. You can look up other Patents and see if your's exists already or is an upgrade to an existing one. If I remember correctly it was like $100 for them to start the paper work. You will of course need specifics for your idea. After doing a lot of searching I found out that my idea was already thought of and did not pursue it past that.

Good luck!

http://jalopyjoe.blogspot.com/
JoeShovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Fab Kevin

The biggest consideration, is he amount of sales you will generate with the part. Example: you figured out an accessory that every HD owner cannot live without - potentially millions of bike owners will want/need it. That part is worth patenting. Now, lets say you come up with a unique foot clutch pedal. How many of those do you think you'll sell, and at what profit margin?

Even if you hold a patent on something, you still need to defend it. Defending your patent could run into thousands (hundreds of thousands) of dollars, and even if you win a judgement - the defendant could file chapter 11 and you still lose.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
SmittyBilt

Depressing
SmittyBilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
TheManInBlack

If you do some crazy engineering that you don't think others will figure out through reverse engineering you're better off not patenting because when you patent the process is laid out and published for all the world to see.

High dollar engine builders like Sonny Leonard get around this by making you sign a contract that you will never take the engine apart to see what they have done. That way their secrets stay secrets.
TheManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
CRFyou

lots of bad experiences...

i used to work in marketing for a motocross company. my boss had patented an idea that made our company what it was. imitators would pop up and it only took one letter from the lawyer to get them to fuck off. and they all did.

except we noticed suzuki copied his idea on the hyabusa. we did a lot of work and R&D with factory suzuki. i asked him,"Rob what do you want to do?" he just said, "Fuck. Oh well. As long as it doesn't end up on a Dirt bike..."

guess he didn't want to bite the hand... but overall we shut plenty of people down.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Nottso

Another trick is to get to "patent pending" stage, and stay there as long as possible while you sell a gazillion parts. When a patent is "pending," the knock-off artists cannot read it and attempt to defeat it. Them not knowing the strengeths/weaknesses of your pending patent can keep them at bay for a while. Once they see the patent, they can get right to work trying to get around it.

For small, extremely clean, remote oil filters please see my new Jock Shop.
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
Hardball

Quote:
I have 24 Utility patents, 11 pending.

Getting the patent is the easy part. Defending a patent is the hard part. Basically, a patent is a license to sue an infringer. It's an invitation to a lawsuit. And you have to prove the infringement. It's expensive and time consuming, but once you've defended your patent, it's easier to defend the next time.

Don't waste your time with design patents. That's my .02 worth.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
shagy

screw it i will make a few and persue the copy cats with my vast knowledge of weapons and intimidation tactics
Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
Hardball

Quote:
screw it i will make a few and persue the copy cats with my vast knowledge of weapons and intimidation tactics
A provisional patent may be a good idea for you to explore while you decide what to do next. They're cheap and they put your potential rivals on notice that you intend to protect your idea.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
scottto93

ONE WORD....MADE IN CHINA........ like mentioned before, attorneys are the only ones that get rich... it'll be like everything else, get ripped off changed slightly so your case in proving patent infringement gets weaker and harder to prove....
scottto93 is offline   Reply With Quote