How do you use your bike? - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #41
WDR

Default Re: How do you use your bike?

I know I donít post here often or at all, but I find this thread very indicative of what is wrong with a number of people on this site. They would rather build a bike to look at, rather than one to ride. Unless you are surfing the site at the public library donít tell me you have no money to fix things the right way and if you donít know all the pot holes, dips, metal grate bridges and other crap in your area than you really need to get out more.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #42
caschnd1

I don't have a car so my '49 panhead chopper takes me anywhere and everywhere I need to go. During the week it pulls "commuter duty" on the weekends it's always good for a couple hundred miles of "fun" riding. Never gets that cold here so I ride all winter. And since I don't have a car if it's raining, I just put on the rain gear and keep riding.

-Craig
caschnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #43
hotsos

I fly around the neighborhood causing trouble everyday that it is not raining. I go back and forth from work and do small deliveries. On the weekends, I like to pop downtown and hear it rumble between the buildings, then check out a band or two. If I pull an all-nighter working (often), I don't ride it because I'm afraid I'm gonna fall asleep or get hit daydreaming at the lights.

The snowy winter around here is when I work on bikes.
hotsos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #44
=JL=

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR View Post
I find this thread very indicative of what is wrong with a number of people on this site. They would rather build a bike to look at, rather than one to ride.
I was just thinking exactly the opposite. I'm pleasantly surprised by how many of us are out there breaking and fixing "unsuitable" bikes.

=JL= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #45
mad750

Send a message via AIM to mad750

Quote:
I know I donít post here often or at all, but I find this thread very indicative of what is wrong with a number of people on this site. They would rather build a bike to look at, rather than one to ride. Unless you are surfing the site at the public library donít tell me you have no money to fix things the right way and if you donít know all the pot holes, dips, metal grate bridges and other crap in your area than you really need to get out more.
You're from NOVA.

That means NO GO in spanish.

Weird.

Vegascrewdevilsplayground.blogspot.com
mad750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #46
Trip

I used to ride everyday until a 21 yr. old decided to run me down whilst I was turning right, no brakes even after I hit the bonnet two hits for the one accident, 30 yrs. of repairing and riding older second hand bikes and this was my first new one, only 13 months old, just started to look good too, Tankshift on a Springer Classic, both vehicles were written off, only broke my back, bike was a mess, nothing was left undamaged, I hope that phone call she was making was important, It'll take a while to get the replacement back to what I want but at least I'm still riding, not every day though. 51 days later and the police still haven't contacted me, here in Australia apparently fat, hairy tattooed blokes don't rate very highly on thier society listings, thank goodness ! Coppers are great when you just go over the speed limit, they jump into action then !
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #47
Yamaha_chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
weekend bar hopper/profiler and "just like to build scooters".
I'm in the middle of those two. I think I enjoy building the bikes as much or more-so than the riding. I just like to see if I can accomplish my vision in my head. The riding is just a bonus. Also, I'm definitely a fair-weather rider, if I'm the least bit cold, it pisses me off and I'm not happy riding that way. Maybe that makes me sound like a pansy, but I'm not going to force myself to do something that I don't want to do in the name of being a "real" rider.

Also, the bikes I like to build are not built for everyday riding back and forth to work, they are specific genre based motorcycles that are exceptionally good at one thing, and not very good at most others.

Most people tell me, oh that thing isn't going to handle well around corners, or those bars aren't practical, that won't be good for a long trip, ect.... Who gives a damn? Everyone likes their own thing, and my bike is never going to be my daily, why should I water it down so it does everything kind of well? I feel that's what's wrong with the automotive industry today, they try to please everybody at once, and they end up with watered down vehicles that do everything mediocre, and not one thing well. SUV's anyone? My bikes aren't SUV's.

Sorrry for the mini-rant, just stuff people say that drives me nuts.
Yamaha_chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #48
hermann

I use this as a daily commuter

and my Norton, at the moment, to swear at
hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #49
Loe

I didnt know it was possible to fall asleep while riding. i did a 20 hour straight ride, didnt wink not once....to cold in most areas.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #50
hermann

Quote:
You must be reading a different thread to me.
hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #51
el Shanebo

I use mine as a freeway gaurdrail battering ram. Attempt number one failed miserably. Those things are built tough. After relearning how to walk upright, I went to that guardrail with a chip on my shoulder and rebar in my femur and said "Hey, asshole. You suck." That son of a bitch just sat there silent. I'm working on a new angle now. I'm just going to use my bike to haul my ass around town. It just ain't got the guts for dangerous highway demolition. Not a daily driver but pretty fucking close.
el Shanebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #52
rukwikenuf

well, i ride the Ironhead almost daily, when weather allows. but the early mornings as of late have been right around 36*, and there's no way in hell that she's gonna kick over.

BTW, rigid frame, springer front, jock shift, rear brake only.

i also have a family, so it doesn't get ridden as much as i'd like, but i think i put somewhere around 4-5k on it this summer
Old 10-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #53
Kphibbs

I like to keep one of my IH's and my trump neatly organized in cabinets. The other IH is for taking to work and riding on weekends. Maybe ill be able to get them built into something this winter. 8mnth old keeps me busy.
Kphibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #54
lowlife_slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loe View Post
Lowlife, nowhere to store it? Put the sucker in your living room. Or if you life 2nd story or up apt, chain the sucker up to a pole.
yeah, thought about putting it in my Apt, but it wont fit. both doors enter a 90 degree turn into a hallway.

the chain idea is not an option. i live in 3rd Ward and my bike is light enough for 2 people to pick up. the brothers are digging this style of bikes these days, i doubt it would make it a month.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #55
willy_the_pirate

before i moved i rode mine as close to a daily as possible with intermittent times of cussing/staring/pushing down the side of the road/praying to jesus to make it work
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #56
Loe

ah....I used to chain mine to a light pole that was next to my apt/patio. Then i moved, still didnt have a garage, but i had a big dog.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #57
bigassbike

aggressive mountian riding transportation. particularily back and forth to work everyday.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #58
ianjk

Ride mine as long as it is running and there isn't snow on the ground. Tr6-hackjob with plunger.
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #59
McQueen

Send a message via Skype™ to McQueen

I commute on my '64 Norton and '79 Bonnie. Putting a new top end on the '71 Trump so I can put it in rotation, too.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #60
railroad bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loe View Post
I didnt know it was possible to fall asleep while riding. i did a 20 hour straight ride, didnt wink not once....to cold in most areas.
I was visiting a buddy near Little Rock, staayed up late partying, left for Dallas next morning. Spent a few hrs in Dallas, left for Austin to see my brother. Smooth wide freeway, late at night, tired, comfy bag behind my back...
Next thing I know, I hear a noise, kinda like a faint whoosh. Then I hear it again, a little louder. Then again, louder yet.
When I opened my eyes, I had just enuff time to swerve away from one of those big ass orange barrels filled with water that they use for highway construction. There was a row of them merging into my lane.

Maybe YOU cant fall asleep, but I sure as hell did. Scared the fuck outta me.

BTW, on topic...
91 FXR, commuting to work, cruisin town, cross country trips, street racing. It does it all, and does it well. 100 CI and custom paint, with other upgrades.