The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #81
Natester

Default Re: The Jockey Journal: Direction & Changes

Just playing devil's advocate here but it sounds like you guys want a forum with as few posts as possible, little content, low diversity of bikes and no tech advice? Cool, I'm in........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #82
hotsos

Good idea,
This will help give the site more "vision", an unspoken concept of direction. It will give more power to the mods to define the vision on a post by post basis without the need to constantly explain their actions.

Long live the Jockey Journal !
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #83
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkAndy View Post
really, why not? great idea if you ask me, but nobody has....
I have ran some forums and it is a pain in the ass...not sure how many accounts/active users are here but we had around 10k accounts and it was a friggen nightmare.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #84
cornfed

Doesnt really matter to me either way (Ill own almost any brand) but Id say either allow jap bikes or dont allow them at all. It will turn into a nightmare after about a week, deleting all the posts from jap bike owners trying to say theirs IS good enough to make the cut...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #85
Duane

I can understand limiting post but what about the guy with the brit or american bike that hasn't had shit done to it. Why single out the Jap bikes. Pretty fucking weak. - Duane
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #86
=mike=
motorcycle enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to =mike= Send a message via Yahoo to =mike=

I don't think it's weak at all . You don't go into a Italian joint for Chinese food . . . same will apply here .

The people who run the forum want it to be about a certain type of bike , built a certain way .

Jap bikes got singled out because they don't want them to be part of the focus of this board . That's not weak or cool or anything to get upset over , that's just how it is .
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #87
KIRK!

Focus is a good thing. There are plenty of boards on the interweb machine for every type of bike.

Now if there was just a "rat bike" filter.....
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #88
Dragon

Focus :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan

from here on out we are going to dedicate The Jockey Journal to traditionally influenced British Euro and American bikes only.

As the old biker axiom goes -

"If you understand, no explanation is necessary. If you dont understand, no explanation is possible".

Like the Classifieds subtitle on the index page "Vintage chopper and bobber artifacts only"...

It's what this place started out being about, vintage and historic machines, not johnny-come-lately new-builders fresh off craigslist.

Obviously, stock vintage and historic machines have been and will continue to be well-received here.

Funny how the majority of the complainers about board direction and policy (just as in the many threads on the Questions board) have been here only a few months (or less).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #89
62rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natester View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here but it sounds like you guys want a forum with as few posts as possible, little content, low diversity of bikes and no tech advice? Cool, I'm in........

LOL Who would have thought owning/riding/building a Jap bike would make you a outlaw? I guess it does now.

"When Jap bikes are outlaw'd, only outlaws will ride Jap bikes."

I really thought the prefix thing would work.

Oh well. I guess i will go buy an "american" bike. Put some Z-bars on it, make a shitty seat,ad some struts, and start posting away...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #90
blackcrown

you're missing the point...

http://mrcrownsmotorservice.wordpress.com/
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #91
haring

Thanks for the thoughtful changes, guys.

I own a 70s-era 750 chopper, and comfortably know that it's welcome here because of it's history, styling, and continued approach. But I don't push it on anyone, either.

I'll look forward to new board.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #92
Yamaha_chop

Looks like my build thread has already been deleted. I thought maybe mine was innovative enough and had enough hard work in it to stick around, but then again, it obviously embodies the new style of building bikes. I thought there was enough positive response to it to keep, but maybe those are the types of people you're trying to weed out.

Oh well, your guys' board, your rules. I appreciate you letting me show what I had until now.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #93
Billdozer2

Thanks for trying to make the JJ better.

So far, I like the changes to the HAMB that I've seen.

Focus is good, and people who are getting wrapped around the axle now about it will figure it out once it's in use.

I'm just stoked that a mission statement (even if vague and highly subjective) is in place and gives everyone a benchmark.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #94
62rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrown View Post
you're missing the point...
Ok if it's about the "Quality" of "traditionally influenced" bikes then the mods are going to be very busy locking American non "traditional" too then right? Just saying. I like this place don't get me wrong. It's the first place i go to . but i think a little more effort into the Prefix thing would make this place great.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #95
nog00der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_chop View Post
Looks like my build thread has already been deleted. I thought maybe mine was innovative enough and had enough hard work in it to stick around, but then again, it obviously embodies the new style of building bikes. I thought there was enough positive response to it to keep, but maybe those are the types of people you're trying to weed out.

Oh well, your guys' board, your rules. I appreciate you letting me show what I had until now.
well, i guess i was a little mad. not anymore though!

it just boils down to what =mike= said, "you dont go into an italian joint for chinese food" its such a simple concept, everybody whining should just think about that one statement! maybe read it a couple times till it sinks in...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #96
Tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotard View Post
oh please.

thanks to those who made the decision, very welcome.

i have absolute faith in Dragon and the other administrators to weed out the "crap" posts. its a great idea.

to all those bitching about the jap stuff being outcast. i think the Denvers thread and the-rodster's XS650 build thread are two great examples of jap content threads that still fit here on the JJ. threads like that im sure will still be allowed and hopefully we'll see more of them and not "look i put struts on my CB350" threads.

the intro sticky is a fantastic idea too, everyday it seems like there are 2 or 3 more intros on the main page.

thanks again

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Maybe this will up the ante for some guys playing with Import stuff? The Denvers thread shows that you can make your mark using ANY canvas.....IF you got skills.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #97
lotus

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #98
Tman

Yeah Lotus, that one is pushing the limits of tastefullness. I am sure he enjoys it though.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #99
2_wheel_nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
Funny, I never met a limey rider or American bike guy who turned down my help on the side of the road
because of what I was riding.
you're missing the point. the JJ2 has grown a lot recently, and in order to keep the board focused on what Ryan wants it to be, it will be limited to a certain theme. bandwidth costs money. none of us pays a penny to be a member here. Ryan foots the bill and wants this place to have a mission; traditional customs. it's got nothing to do with anyone thinking they're better than anyone else, or anyone looking down their nose at others.

like MIKE said, you don't go to an italian joint for chinese food.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #100
hertz750

Ryan may have made this board, but his lack of direction and his contradicting statements have let this forum grow to what it is today. And I say that is a GOOD thing!! Why dictatorship when anarchy has done so well?

Quote:
"My only fear is scaring away new folks... I'd rather encourage than scare away."
Aren't these the new guys with crappy Jap bikes that are now being outlawed?

Quote:
"Who's got guinea bikes to show off?"
not Brit or American?

Quote:
In response to question: " are cafe racers welcome here" "hell yes they are..."

So it's okay to embrace the British heritage, but not our own (Jap choppers are part of our history)

Ryan - Have you ever fed a bird all summer long just to watch them starve outside the window in the winter time? Then why let the Japper bikes exist for so long, just to cut them off?

I am not playing devils advocate here. I just wish you would let the board decide the direction, rather than make a decision based on who's bitching the loudest.

I vote for another board entirely. Is that a possibility?
Closed Thread