Is it the painters job or am I just a dumbass? - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
gnjxgjgtrhu
Banned

Default Re: Is it the painters job or am I just a dumbass?

I have never had anything professionally painted in my life.
gnjxgjgtrhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
partie

I like that tank. Been wanting to see it mounted.

Last edited by partie; 07-16-2013 at 04:55 PM.
partie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
supercrouton

Wow! That looks incredible! Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameThrower View Post

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #44
hdshovel82

jayme (blue moon)painted this tank and fender for a lot less
<<<< its perfect all round.he even painted the underside of the fender
hdshovel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
Rob Axel

One rule I do live by is "Don't give away what you sell",,,,but I still find myself doing stuff for friends either for free, beer or a good bottle of Scotch..
..but yeah dude, you paid for his "lessons"....
Please tell me it wasn't just for the tank alone??....was there other parts done as well?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #46
marvintheminnow

Take it back to your painter and have him carefully cut the paint back around the filler with a razor blade. Then have him carefully run a bead of super glue where the paint meets the bare metal. My tank did the same as yours and a year and half later has not failed me. You should not be able to see the glue once when the cap is on..
marvintheminnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #47
chopperkid13

Send a message via AIM to chopperkid13

Rob Axel... Tank ALONE. Like I said, I have no problem paying for good work, but now that I see he charged me way above the competitors and to be honest, it's not 100% what I even wanted. Now I will be fair and say a lot of the ideas were a collaboration of both his and mine. And there were times we changed direction but that was well before any of the graphics were even laid or taped. I understand that can be a pain in the ass but you can't charge someone for work that had not been done yet. I would understand if he spent hours taping it and I had him redo it 3 times because of my indecisiveness, but sadly, that wasn't the case here. He did have to redo the bottom though. I asked for something very specific, and asked him for a photo of it taped off before he sprayed it to make sure it was good. I never got a photo. A few hours later I see a shot on IG of the bottom and it was NOTHING close to what I asked for. I told him it needs to be redone and I'm not happy with it. I was actually so unhappy with it, I hardly slept that night. So he sanded it back down to the flake, attempted to tape out what I asked for (70's psychedelic block lettering) and honestly, looked very half assed and sloppy. I told him don't spray it. We almost argued about it and shot my idea down and I told him fuck it, just lace the bottom with no letters at all just so I can have the tank finished.

He raised the price on me after it was finished. I asked him if he was charging me for those fuck-ups and he said no way because I was a little taken back by the price hike. That discussion about what to go with the bottom was well after the top was finished and cleared and had paid him $850.

Guess it's a live and learn. I will ask him why he raped me on the price before he even hiked it up on me. I don't appreciate his acting like he was hooking me up so much and taking a hit and the claim of "$200 of flake on it." I may not be a painter, but I know how much flake costs.

thejadedandfaithless.tumblr.com -Choppers, chicks, hot rods, and other shit.

chopperkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #48
FlameThrower

Wow, I fuckin' HATE it when alleged custom-painters lie to clients about materials costs! I almost exclusively use Lil Daddy Roth flake... VERY high-quality shit... and it costs less than $20 for a 2-ounce jar. And a 2-ounce jar of flake goes a very, very long way when custom-painting bikes!

Good luck getting what you want next time... at a price that makes some semblance of sense.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com
ftcustoms (Instagram)
FlameThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #49
badassbrutus

Damn ...doods like that are dooshcanoes!!..Customer service and shitty attitude and price gouging ,with poor quality work he dont take Pride in his work thats for sure let folks know Not to use him for sure.There are some great painters here to use,Flamethrower,Rayzart,lillclay,Blue moon ,ect,just to name a few and others as well as myself.you have to research you painters look at past pic of work that has been done anyone who takes Pride in their work will be more than happy to show you previuos work....

AKA...Hemi Head
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #50
Adam Lonergan

Go back and ask for half your cash back for that half assed job! $200 bucks worth of flake!!! look it up online, you could do a car with that much flake!
what a piece of shit mate...........
Adam Lonergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
Rob Axel

If he was a "good" friend and was "learning" these painting techniques, he should have offered to do the labor for free and had you just cover the materials....
That is pretty much what I do....
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #52
FlameThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
If he was a "good" friend and was "learning" these painting techniques, he should have offered to do the labor for free and had you just cover the materials....
That is pretty much what I do....
I hear ya... I have done lots of paint jobs for greatly-reduced prices just for the experience and to build my personal resume.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com
ftcustoms (Instagram)
FlameThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #53
sandergecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameThrower View Post
I hear ya... I have done lots of paint jobs for greatly-reduced prices just for the experience and to build my personal resume.
Exactly how I have done many, and even then if there would be a problem I Would have fixed it, free.

On the other hand if a client is being a dick from the get go and I can't get rid of them cause they really want my work the price goes waaaaaayyyyy up.
A job like that would still not be over 1000 bucks though.

GET FLAKED!
sandergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #54
fleisspelz

At least friends behave different. If you don't have better friends beware of them!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #55
Scavenger

$1200 to paint a tank ?? christ 1200 could buy a bike
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
chopperkid13

I'm going down to speak to him tomorrow. I by no means was a dick to the guy or a huge pain in the ass. The only thing I was ever a pain in the ass about was when I really didn't like the bottom of the tank and it was not what we agreed on.

I actually used to do metal work in a restoration shop that also did custom paint when I lived in VA about 6 years ago. Seeing as I never had anything painted, I was not super familiar with the pricing. I remember spending $127 on some PPG Jet black to respray the side on my truck bed. So when I dropped off $450 I figured as much of that would get used in materials. This is a lot more than just black so shame on me for not questioning material costs. But the more people chimed in on here, the less worried I am about how the paint was lifting and now more pissed about how bad he really ripped me off.

In addition, the super glue seems to be doing a great job of keeping the paint from lifting more.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #57
chopperkid13

Here is a photo of the bottom before I made him respray it. Not what we discussed and not to mention...It's flippin pink.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #58
mrwelbilt

Greetings Everyone , There have been a lot of comments on what went wrong , what custom paint jobs are worth and what should be done about it. But the one question I have is have you even contacted your friend the new custom painter to tell him of the problem you are having with gas wicking under the paint ? Was he given any opportunity to correct the issues and set things straight ? Also as custom painting is some what new for him perhaps the little tricks regarding fuel necks and what other custom painters are charging for 70's flake / candy tank work are learning curve weakness. Often time people get into custom work looking for the BIG money only to find out later that there are new challenges to be meet. Best regards and good luck with getting the problem resolved .
mrwelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #59
chopperkid13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwelbilt View Post
Greetings Everyone , There have been a lot of comments on what went wrong , what custom paint jobs are worth and what should be done about it. But the one question I have is have you even contacted your friend the new custom painter to tell him of the problem you are having with gas wicking under the paint ? Was he given any opportunity to correct the issues and set things straight ? Also as custom painting is some what new for him perhaps the little tricks regarding fuel necks and what other custom painters are charging for 70's flake / candy tank work are learning curve weakness. Often time people get into custom work looking for the BIG money only to find out later that there are new challenges to be meet. Best regards and good luck with getting the problem resolved .
Yes, he is aware of the situation. The next morning after I put the first tank of gas in it, I went by his shop and showed him the issue to which he said "dude, you were supposed to seal it!" He was there when we pressure tested it and it was fine, so we went ahead without sealing it. I also asked the advice of a local Harley mechanic friend and he advised me not to seal it. "Why seal it if it doesn't leak?" is what he said. Also, consensus here was that sealing it wouldn't have prevented the issue either. I have not talked to the painter since that day, but I will pay him a visit and tell him of my new found knowledge. (of both the painting all the way up the neck and of him ripping me off)

Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #60
HandsomeDan

hope you get everything resolved. $1200 is a crazy amount for someone starting out, and for a tank that doesn't seem like it's incredibly intricate.
HandsomeDan is offline   Reply With Quote