Is it the painters job or am I just a dumbass? - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
little d

Default Re: Is it the painters job or am I just a dumbass?

Flame,
not being a painter, I've always fought this......THANK YOU for the heads up on how to do it right!
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
hdshovel82

i had this happen on a set of shovel tanks.they were painted to the fill.my guy had only painted evo tanks w/o the higher fill neck.paint peeled on day 1 also.i brought back he fixxed them.he didnt paint so far up this time.they still look great after 14 yrs.a decent painter or buiness person will cover the work.yea the nail polish works too.
hdshovel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
FlameThrower

Honestly, IMO that is a shit-ton of dough ($1200) for that work. I do VERY high-quality work and my price would have been between 30% and 40% of that price for that same job... it's nice work but not exactly crazy-complex!

Just my 2 cents...

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com
ftcustoms (Instagram)
FlameThrower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
joe49

+ to it should not be painted all the way up the filler. Cut i back to good paint. Hit a hobby rc plane shop for a small bottle of dope gas can't touch it and reseal it were you cut it back too.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Unkl Ian

Location: Just past the corner of Hell and The Twilight Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsand View Post
The top of your filler neck should be bare steel, thats where the cap rubber seats. If it's painted, the fuel will get under the paint before it even gets to the rubber cap seal.

Yep.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #26
FlameThrower

Recent example that I just finished....

ftcustoms (Instagram)

URL=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/OhioFlameThrower/media/100_2963_zps9828b8a5.jpg.html][/URL]

Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
chopperkid13

Send a message via AIM to chopperkid13

Dude...Flame, that is killer. Sick work.

In regards to my problem, I picked up some super glue, let it seep in behind the lifted paint and pressed it down. It held nice. I put a bead of it around the edge where I cut the paint back and it seems to be holding well against gas. I'll keep a close eye on it

thejadedandfaithless.tumblr.com -Choppers, chicks, hot rods, and other shit.

chopperkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
Deucefanny

Second that Flame, awesome work!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #29
drumrooster

poorly prepped before it was painted..prolly had something on it were the paints not sticking..trim it and take it back for clear..
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
Fat Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
You could try aircraft zinc chromate primer, which isn't bothered by fuel and is inside every "wet wing" fighter aircraft fuel tank.
1. Where do I get some?
2. Is it impervious to modern, automotive fuels with higher alcohol content?
3. Where have you been all my life?!?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Blackbetty

Flamethrower did my tank like 2-3 years ago.

I opted not to seal and a pinhole popped up in the bottom corner, but I sealed the tank and managed to fix the tiny flaw.

I have at least 5K hard miles on this tank now and his paint has held up, he knows what he's doing.

Steve, I'm building a sporty and I'll be calling you shortly ab another paint job....
Blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #32
FlameThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
Flamethrower did my tank like 2-3 years ago.

I opted not to seal and a pinhole popped up in the bottom corner, but I sealed the tank and managed to fix the tiny flaw.

I have at least 5K hard miles on this tank now and his paint has held up, he knows what he's doing.

Steve, I'm building a sporty and I'll be calling you shortly ab another paint job....
Sweet... what sort of Sporty are ya building?

ftcustoms 9Instagram)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #33
RABs32

What I have done with this style filler neck is seal the area where the gas cap gasket sits, Is brush 2 or 3 coats of POR 15's gas tank sealer into the filler neck and up to and over the paint line edge by at least an 1/8th of an inch and deliver them after the 72 hour wait til it could be filled with gas. In the past 15 years only had 2 come back due their being impatitent. Which led Me to hold them for at least 72 hours.....................................Rich
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
Rob Axel

...OK work...nothing super special (not Flame's)... but $1,200....Sorry dude that is a lot of money for that amount of work! unless that flake is pure silver....

."..that's a five dollar shake, that's milk and icecream.......you dont put no bourbon in it or nothi'n??......"- Vincent Vega
Old 07-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #35
chopperkid13

Send a message via AIM to chopperkid13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
...OK work...nothing super special (not Flame's)... but $1,200....Sorry dude that is a lot of money for that amount of work! unless that flake is pure silver....

."..that's a five dollar shake, that's milk and icecream.......you dont put no bourbon in it or nothi'n??......"- Vincent Vega
Good quote. The $1,200 isn't the kicker, I have known the guy for years. Long enough to call him a friend. Been to his house for BBQs, hung with the guy at car shows. He has been a painter for a while, but trying to get his foot in the door as a custom painter. This was one of his first real jobs of this style, the kind of painting he wants to do. I told him I was planning on sending the tank to Tuki, Blue Moon, or Chem Candy.

Now, I'm no cheap bastard, I am not afraid to pay for good work. He talked to me about him doing the paint and instilled confidence in me that he could do it. So I gave him the job, plus he is right down the road from me. But the whole time he kept acting like he was giving me such a hook up on price and like he was nearly taking a hit doing this job for me. Originally quoted me $850-$1,000 which I had in the budget around the $850-900 range. Left him a 50% deposit to get started. Then once the tank was just about done he told me that he had more time in it than he had thought and was going to need $1,200 to let the tank out of his shop.

thejadedandfaithless.tumblr.com -Choppers, chicks, hot rods, and other shit.

chopperkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #36
Deucefanny

What a mate! I did all my kitchen cupboard doors in the same style and it cost about $500 in paint. And there's heaps left over.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #37
fleisspelz

Maybe it took HIM more time, because he still learns, but that shouldn't go from your wallet. If someone learns, he doesn't know everything, as you can easyly see on your problem. If someone does a job without knowing the standards, he shouldn't be more expensive than the masters. The money you pay with has allready learned everything it should....
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #38
FlameThrower

Let me just say that $1200 is quite high for a client job and ridiculous for a "friend hook-up" job for the type of work that you received. For a guy/shop in the business of consistently painting bikes or cars, high-quality HOK materials to paint a single gas tank will run maybe $50... that is the truth that custom-painters consistently stretch. If he bought fresh quarts/pints of everything then the materials price would be a few hundred bucks... but he'd have enough materials to paint five more gas tanks and most of his materials costs are for clearcoating materials which are used on every job regardless of color.

His work looks decent... not like a Chemical Candy, Blue Moon or a Flamethrower (that's me - lol) job. I have no idea what Chemical Candy, Blue Moon, etc charge for their work... but I would have charged 30% to 40% of what your buddy charged and the quality would have been considerably higher. He's learning this sort of work, and I completely understand... but "learning" does not warrant the price charged by an experienced high-end custom-painter. The true "richness" of these sort of custom jobs is in the variety of panels utilized, the multi-striping, the variety of curves/shapes utilized, the color variances and drop-shadowing, etc. I applaud you for giving your buddy the opportunity to perform a resume-building custom job... that that price is just way too high for the work performed.

I am not trying to sound harsh, but just to let fellow JJ guys know what's up. The swirly-paneled Kandy Tangerine job that I posted above was done for a buddy's brother and I did that tank for a "friends & family" discount price of under $500.

ftcustoms (Instagram)

Last edited by FlameThrower; 07-16-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #39
fleisspelz

@ FlameThrower: Do you have a "krauts & foreigners" discount price as well? I'm about to rebuild my sporty, which has been a café racer the last 12 years and will change into kind of a sportive chopper this year. There is a superglide gastank crying for a smart paintjob....
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #40
FlameThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleisspelz View Post
@ FlameThrower: Do you have a "krauts & foreigners" discount price as well? I'm about to rebuild my sporty, which has been a café racer the last 12 years and will change into kind of a sportive chopper this year. There is a superglide gastank crying for a smart paintjob....
Haha... hell yeah, I'll hook you up! I've painted for a few European clients before and the shipping costs are not too bad.

ftcustoms (Instagam)