'57 Pan - Version 3 - Comedic Relief - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
WillPhelps52

Default '57 Pan - Version 3 - Comedic Relief

Many disagree with this decision, but... a mere six months after my chopper was finished, I am going to re-do it.

It's not that I like wasting money, I have just changed my mind. That happens with A.D.D.

In order to register my '57 in North Carolina, I had to hand in my New Jersey title. I did that, but they sent me a letter in the mail saying before the'll send me my new NC title, I had to take the bike to the Theft office of the NCDMV.

I did that. The agent told me the new title would be 2019 Special Construction. If this were an old shovel or evo, I wouldn't care, but not THIS '57 Panhead.

I decided to sell my frame and front end and get something stock... HD or Reproduction. Either should satisfy the agent.

So, I will use this thread to document the process of going from chopper, to bobber, to as much stock as I can before I give up.

Here's the bike the way it is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7270024.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	699.1 KB
ID:	253630   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7270029.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	862.7 KB
ID:	253632  
WillPhelps52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Default Re: '57 Pan - Version 3 - Comedic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPhelps52 View Post
Many disagree with this decision, but... a mere six months after my chopper was finished, I am going to re-do it.

In order to register my '57 in North Carolina, I had to hand in my New Jersey title. I did that, but they sent me a letter in the mail saying before the'll send me my new NC title, I had to take the bike to the Theft office of the NCDMV.

I did that. The agent told me the new title would be 2019 Special Construction. If this were an old shovel or evo, I wouldn't care, but not THIS '57 Panhead.

I decided to sell my frame and front end and get something stock... HD or Reproduction. Either should satisfy the agent.

So, I will use this thread to document the process of going from chopper, to bobber, to as much stock as I can before I give up.

Here's the bike the way it is now.
I remember your build and thought it came out great.

I think your decision is smart and also an example to others that if you're using a titled '69 or earlier motor, put it into a non-numbered frame.

Your state is correct, since that frame, Paughco I believe, has a serial number, it supersedes the motor number. Some states may not notice, but this one did.

Did you get a replacement frame? If so, which direction is the build going?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
JAWS

Remember the replacement stock frames have a number too. Find an OEM one modified or not.

I am bummed as I loved the current build, but completely understand. Hell, the hunt is as much fun as the build is, for me.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Remember the replacement stock frames have a number too.

The V-Twin frames do not have a number and you have to ask them for an MSO. VG Frames from Holland also come bare.

VonWegener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
The V-Twin frames do not have a number and you have to ask them for an MSO. VG Frames from Holland also come bare.
Vtwin frames are notorious for poor quality and fitment, plus they're made in tawain or china, those reasons alone are enough to make a better decision. But, I thought that the Vtwin frames have a 4 digit serial number on the casting where the stock brake pedal gets mounted to? I thought they have to supply some type of MSO and that was their way to not have a "visible" MSO?

How about Edlund frames? Does anyone know if they have any serial numbers? That's another option, besides VG, if no numbers.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
VonWegener

I sold quite a few V-Twin frames and nobody complained. That myth that they are poor quality with bad fitment is being propagated by you all the time.

There are many, many bikes on the road with V-Twin frames and more are being built right now.
VG frames out of Holland are the current acme of repro frames as they have casting numbers and foundry hallmarks. About $1200 more than a V-Twin frame.
The new Edlund frames seem to cater more to the swedish custom crowd than the restorer types or chopper guys who get off on hallmarks.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
WillPhelps52

I have dome some looking, but can't buy a new frame until I sell the chopper frame/front end... or the complete rolling chassis, if someone wants to buy that. A lot of money went into the moulding, paint and internal wiring. It should be an easy build for someone.

I also read about the V-Twin frames just having numbers by the brake peddle. As for quality, I can't speak to that. The few V-Twin parts I have on my bike seem fine, but I don't know about the frames.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
I sold quite a few V-Twin frames and nobody complained. That myth that they are poor quality with bad fitment is being propagated by you all the time.
It's not a myth, just spend some time on the many forums where this has been discussed over the years.

I know you sell Vtwin products, so for you it's hard to say anything bad.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
fatass

The only first hand experience I have had with a V-twin frame was actually second hand. A buddy of mine bought one and has zero problems with it. I was somewhat jealous when I saw how damn good it looked compared to my 60 year old chopperized and beaten straight leg. What's worse, six decades of meth head " chopper builders" finger banging a rusty pile of fatigued monkey bars, or a few hungry 10 year old kids in China welding new Chinese (recycled Murican) iron together?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
VonWegener

Forums are famous for bitching about something and a bunch of guys jumping on the bandwagon. Just like the guys talking smack about pretty girls so they can look macho on the internet.
When I encounter a Vtwin product that is sub-par I quietly return it and never offer it for sale. My integrity is worth more than a 20% restocking charge.
I have not had a single complaint about the frames and yes I only sold about some 30 odd frames but I think the term notorious is just wrong and frankly used by an administrator is the wrong choice of words without actual proof.
I've been on here 10 years and had to endure this crap just as long with jokes about Taiwan Ted and how bad the frames are but there was only one guy who had an actual minor problem he could fix himself.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have not had a single complaint about the frames and yes I only sold about some 30 odd frames but I think the term notorious is just wrong and frankly used by an administrator is the wrong choice of words without actual proof.
I've been on here 10 years and had to endure this crap just as long with jokes about Taiwan Ted and how bad the frames are but there was only one guy who had an actual minor problem he could fix himself.
Here are a few threads about V-twin from this forum alone. Numerous others exist on other forums as well.

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=156145

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=165313

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13568

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=140874

In my opinion, Iíd stay away from V-twin frames for many of the reasons mentioned in the above threads.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
geezer

Ah cut it out. You cannot name a supplier someone doesn't have stories about. Save that shit for some other time.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 AM   #13
VonWegener

I just looked at the first thread you listed and it showed a pic of some frame on a table and the frame wasn't even V-Twin but the bitching level was high.
That's what i mean about spreading fake information and outright lies.
I'm done with this.

Bring the JJ back to life? Well here is how you kill it.
I answered many, many questions, never steered anybody wrong, made historical posts with plenty of pictures and considered myself an asset to this board yet I have to endure innuendo by the truckload to undermine my livelyhood.

Lastly I want to add a few pics of an original Harley Pan wishbone that had a nice mold job and looked like a good frame on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts Pan frame faults b.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	253652   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts Pan frame faults a.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	253654   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts Pan frame faults d.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	253656  

Name:	parts Pan frame faults e.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	253658  

Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
50Panhead62

This '50 was put together with a V-Twin frame. I found absolutely no issues with quality or fitment of any stock parts to it and the majority of this bike is original components other than the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180710_162038.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	253660  
50Panhead62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #15
Motor2Wheel

Hey Von Wegener,
I can vouch for you as a straight up communicator when it comes to deals and knowledge of the parts to this board. You helped me with my oil bag on my Gentle Ben project and I had a lot of questions if you recall. It worked out great and fit fine, so I appreciate your input on here.
That’s been my experience, anyhow.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
JAWS

I have had two bikes with V-Twin frames and both have numbers stamped in the front of the neck. Damn near impossible to see with springers on, trust me, they are there.

Ill can get pictures of the numbers on one tomorrow...

As far as quality, The forgings and welds are fine. I can tell them from an OEM frame easily due to the better looking welds than OEM. The welds look “sharper”... meaning more symetrical and modernly applied. The frames have a fresh look not a worn look like a pan frame that has stood time.

Both bikes put up with abuse and have been together in some shape or another for years.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
JAWS

Ill say this as well... I wont hesitate to get another if the newer V-Twin frames are like these.

If and when, they will come from Mikey.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #18
Ratso

[Unhelpful yelping from the peanut gallery deleted in the interest of comity.]

Last edited by Ratso; 02-13-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #19
geezer

Just realized HD48FL is a moderator. Perhaps acting like one would be in order.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
WillPhelps52

Soooo.... Anyway.... I'd like to thank everyone for their input on aftermarket parts.

I'll be 67 in a couple of months. Not enough time (or money) to buy all OEM parts to put the '57 back to stock.

That's why my primary objective is to fix the two issues the NC DMV agent had an issue with... the stretched frame and long front end.

A lot depends on if I sell the entire rolling chassis or just the frame and front end. Either way I'll get a replacement frame and front end. If I just sell the chopper frame, I'll move the 21" 60 spoke wheel and disk brakes over, as well as the forward controls. If I sell the entire roller, I'll get '57 reproduction parts or OEM parts if I can find them.

If you know anybody planning to build a chopper... have them look at my listing in the swap meet. I'm anxious to get going on this build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA180089.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	932.6 KB
ID:	253694  

Tags
bobber, chopper, dmv, panhead