Let's talk Linkert DC Carbs - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
image1

Default Let's talk Linkert DC Carbs

Been working on my '60xlch, which would have been originally equipped with a Linkert DC. I got the bike put together last winter, and ran it a bit at a snow hillclimb in New York. At that point, i was on a limited timeline, so opted to throw on a known working S&S Super B. This allowed me to get the timing dialed in and the rest of the running/tuning issues out of the way.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, the bike has sat since Feb. and finally had some time to play with the old girl again, and decided to get the Linkert DC-10) bolted up and dialed in. Did some kicking and tweaking, and kicking, and kicking, and finally got it started a couple times. Still being a bitch to start, so started doing a bunch more reading and came to the conclusion that i probably have a float level issue. So, last night, i pulled the carb to have a look-see at my float level. After removing the bowl, it was pretty apparent that i did indeed have a float issue. The float body itself is very stiff, does not move freely as it did when i originally put it together.

My thinking is that the bullshit they call gasoline nowadays has swelled the composite material where the pivot pin is. From my understanding, no one offers an improved float body for these carbs, so what are you guys doing to keep the float freely moving? I'm considering using a reamer to slightly enlarge the pin passage, and maybe file a bit off the ends in an effort to get the float freely moving again. My only concern would be that the gas will just re-swell this piece over time, and would like a more permanent fix. I've got several float bodies here, so i could easily swap out to another, but i really doubt that's gonna do me much good.

pic of the bike for reference.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
magnum45pete

Default Re: Let's talk Linkert DC Carbs

*************TAKEN FROM ANOTHER FORUM***** http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3402 ..............................

''The original DC float is molded upon the float lever, making it an engineering exercise to develop a replacement. Producing a run of a special lever would be more than pricey, and the limited market would never support such a venture.

Graciously, many of the original floats seem to be surviving.
This may be most attributed to the extra clearance within the square bowls.

My suggestion is to coat an un-swollen original with a thin layer of isocyanate urethane (similar to Imron) to inhibit the effects of digestive fuel.
(I know of no other sealer that has not failed in P4gas.)''

It seems that once you trim yours you need to coat it to protect it from gasohol ...
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I knew that was Tom Cotten before I clicked on the link.

Joel, what about talking to Bruce Argetsinger, the guy who owns Enfield Racing? He does the Rubber Ducky floats and the PEEK seals, maybe he has some ideas?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
image1

got some good info from the XL forum. Couple people have done exactly as i intended (file & ream) with good results. That is the way i plan to proceed. If problems persist, i'll explore adding a coating, but i'm not real fond of that idea.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
TigerAlex

I haven't looked at a Linkert float in a while so could be off base with this suggestion, but you might also sleeve the reamed hole w brass tube to prevent future swelling from binding the pin.
Alex
TigerAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
RidingHood

I'd talk to this fellow , he is very switched on with carbs
web site https://www.vergaser-manufaktur.com/
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/vergaser_manufaktur/
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote