sprocket shaft spacer - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
alexml

Default sprocket shaft spacer

I just noticed that in my shovelhead workshop manual It has the large flange on the sprocket shaft spacer facing away from the crank cases, when installing but another couple of diagrams I found online has it reversed, with the flange closest to the crankcases. Which is the correct way? The oil seal seams to fit better in the latter scenario, but I am now not sure which way to place it. Any ideas, its a 1977 shovel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprocket spacer.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	228033   Click image for larger version

Name:	5421_32_122-spiralock-snap-ring.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	228041  
alexml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
magnum45pete

Default Re: sprocket shaft spacer

I just rebuilt one of mine, It came out the way it's shown in bothe your pictures so it went back in the same way.
as I am running an open primary belt drive I put the oil seal in the ''wrong way round'' with the spring towards the crank and remember you have to fit the spacer before the seal
also, if you are also like me running an open belt drive, remember to use silicon between the spacer and the crank shaft or you will get a dribble of oil coming out between the shaft & spacer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	900.8 KB
ID:	228049  
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
alexml

okay, got it. Thanks. Will be running open too.
Unfortunately It looks like I may need to sell the shovel. I noticed you are in the U.K and was wondering if you know any good places to advertise, in addition to ebay. I may even sell it as a project, as I probably need to shift it before too long and its not quite up and running yet. Its a shame, but needs must. if you know anyone who may be interested, drop me a PM. Thanks again for the quick reply on the spacer info.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
magnum45pete

It's a shame you have to sell it,...I personally found ebay about the best,...not to expensive either, I sold a 79 Electraglide in may for £8k and only paid £43 fees,...for some reason people think ebay charges shitloads but only up to a small amount ....how much needs doing to it and how much are you asking,.... put up some pictures, ya might find someone here that wants it, quite a few from England here ya know....
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
alexml

I used ebay for previous bikes, but got a few time wasters, but I suppose its one of the biggest market places. Just giving it a bit of thought as to whether I sell as is, or finish it up how I like it. May do a halfway house and finish it up without making too many changes. That way the new owner can put their mark on it.

Its a nice bike, matching numbers 1977, 74ci. It's an FXS, but I have changed the forks to wide glide FL ones, round swingarm, 16" rear, 19" front spoked wheels. I have a horseshoe oil tank to go on and have cut the fat bob tanks down to make it a bit slimmer. Engine has all new bearings, seals, rings etc. All tolerances checked an now back to within factory spec. Rebuilt four speed ratchet top, kick only with baker kicker gears.
I imported it from Tennassee, so it needs registering, but I have all the paperwork sorted. I will see how I go and probably get some pictures up in the classifieds, not sure what its worth, as a project, or if I got it up and running. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
magnum45pete

It's a hard call at the moment,
some real nice ones seem to go for £5k-£6k, then some not so great looking ones go for £7k-£9k.....
I bought one a year and a half ago,non running project to rebuild, I paid £3500, spent about £2500 re painting it, re-wireing exhaust filter, front and rear mudguards, seat and a new set of fatbobs, and I had to register it... looks like a new bike, 80% standard, I reckon its worth £7500 now but probably wouldn't get much more than £6k.... but my latest one I have done a nut n bolt ground up build with lots of trick bits, gotta be worth £8k+....end of the day it's worth what people will pay,.... sometimes you will get more breaking it,.... a good rebuilt motors gotta be worth £3k-£3.5k...frame with papers £1500..... the rest maybe another £2k for wheels forks transmission mudguards swingarm tanks etc etc etc etc...broken ya might get £7K !!!.....
here's my two,...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fxs cut out isolator 002.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	720.8 KB
ID:	228065   Click image for larger version

Name:	4324.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	228073  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
alexml

Nice bikes!
I was thinking about breaking it as I made quite a bit doing the same with an xs650 not long ago. Couldn't believe what some of the bits went for. It would be a bit of a shame as its a decent bike, but certainly worth a bit of serious thought. I am 75% through the engine build, transmission is all done. Frame is good to go and I saw an early swing arm sell for about £200! There is certainly money in it one way or another. I just need to give it some serious thought and work it all out. Cheers
Old 12-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
richbob

Break it
Be prepared for a lot of muppets
Or use magnums line of arthritis
Stopped riding
(I saw the bay advert )

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Break it
Stopped riding
(I saw the bay advert )

Rich,
It isn't a line I spun, I broke my Hip about 3 1/2 years ago and it never healed properly, I now suffer big time from arthritis and have been in Hospital with it unable to even stand for at one time for a week,...
I haven't been able to ride now for just over a year and is why I sold my Electraglide,
I now try and build bikes I would love to be able to ride with the hope I will recover enough to ride when they are done,
if not I'll sell it, and build another with the same hope,...
my currant project is the black one,
I really want this for myself so am working with the doc to try & get me riding again as soon as its finished.......if not, someone will get a great feckin bike !!!....
Old 12-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Break it
Stopped riding
(I saw the bay advert )

Almost the same reason I am selling, had a problem with my elbow on and off. Finally had an opp and its still as bad, can hardly bend it some days, so the big bikes can be hard work. Its even getting quite hard to work on it and put it back together, so breaking may be the way.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
Rich,
It isn't a line I spun, I broke my Hip about 3 1/2 years ago and it never healed properly, I now suffer big time from arthritis and have been in Hospital with it unable to even stand for at one time for a week,...
I haven't been able to ride now for just over a year and is why I sold my Electraglide,
I now try and build bikes I would love to be able to ride with the hope I will recover enough to ride when they are done,
if not I'll sell it, and build another with the same hope,...
my currant project is the black one,
I really want this for myself so am working with the doc to try & get me riding again as soon as its finished.......if not, someone will get a great feckin bike !!!....
I know how you feel!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
richbob

Heal fast
Hip is a fucker
My uncle had a hip replacement( ex Brit bike scrambler)
He's riding a big scooter at 80
But been knocked down a few times
He couldn't get leg over his norton.

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
magnum45pete

getting old don't help,
that and being a stupid bugger on bikes over the last 45 years,....
riding all year no matter the weather, rain , Hail sleet & snow
on hardtails till 3-1/2 years ago as well didn't help.....
............will we Ever learn ???..... I doubt it !!!.... PARTY ON DUDES !!!!
Old 06-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #14
Dutch Dennoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
I just rebuilt one of mine, It came out the way it's shown in bothe your pictures so it went back in the same way.
as I am running an open primary belt drive I put the oil seal in the ''wrong way round'' with the spring towards the crank and remember you have to fit the spacer before the seal
also, if you are also like me running an open belt drive, remember to use silicon between the spacer and the crank shaft or you will get a dribble of oil coming out between the shaft & spacer
Kind of breaking in on an old thread but at least i am not starting a new one on the same subject.
I am replacing my spacer and seal as well (late shovel) and yet the back of the spacer should kind of be acting as a seal surface against the bearing inner ring i have my doubts on that , its not like i am intending to fit it all loosy but didnít anyone ever expirimented with an o-ring between those 2 rings?..just in the corner of the bearing chamfer so it wont go anywhere when itís compressed in place. In my opinion it would seal better than stuffing the spline with silicones.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #15
Dutch Dennoz

No one in for an experiment? Okay , i will be then.
Doing some primary mods so i guessed replacing the seal is a mandatory.
I know i did put in a new spacer when rebuilding the engine .
And i do recall is was dry for a few years .
And dispite the front pulley was thightend according factory specs i noticed a sign of wear on the back of the spacer.
I am guessing there is much more going on in our engines than we can imagine with heating up , cooling down , expanding parts etc.
The bearing and spacer are quitte hard materials and the contact surface is small so i have my reasons to believe the spacer got slacking in revs some how , anyway the surface got damaged en de sealing ability was gone which caused that dribble through the spline.
For me it does not make much sense simply replacing the spacer and stuff the spline with silicones.
I did put in that o-ring and just to be sure.... my new home made spacer will keep up with the speed of the crankschaft and bearing . I made it from AK steel armco 17-4 so i can use the magic words ďamerican madeĒ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79C040AF-8CC1-4416-A83B-E29792870C6F.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	257404   Click image for larger version

Name:	B7FBC70B-E9A2-4E36-BB24-ABB0D9AD08B3.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	257406   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A63C215-EA5B-4065-8A90-6E3A0409CE35.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	840.2 KB
ID:	257408  

Old 06-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #16
joe49

You should not put a oring there. Oring has a certain amount of crush, oring groove depth sets that. Putting that in with no groove will keep you from getting solid stack contact between bearing, spacer, alt rotor, and sprocket. You will pull torque but it will not last as the oring will wear and crush out.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
Dutch Dennoz

Roger that Joe , the spacer meets the bearing for sure , the o ring isnt that thick..should be just enough to seal.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #18
joe49

10-4