Running a Morris Mag on a T110 Triumph? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
horsebites

Default Running a Morris Mag on a T110 Triumph?

Hi, I have a 1950 T110 Triumph and my Lucas K2F mag is toast. I can get it rebuilt or I was thinking about getting the Pre Unit Morris Mag for it. I've searched the forums up and down and found some useful info on it about timing and what not but my main question is what would be better in the long run? A new Morris Mag or rebuilding my current Lucas Mag. It's not about money, I just want to know if the Morris will most likely last longer, start better and run stronger. Also because it's a fixed position mag do I need to get the Onboard Advance-Retard Kit?
Thanks
horsebites is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
bobscogin

Default Re: Running a Morris Mag on a T110 Triumph?

1950 T110? Gotta be around '54 or later to be a T110. Why not stick with the Lucas?

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
fouraceswes

Hey here is an answer that is not picking on your archaic knowledge of Triumph Model designations and years. Sorry Bob this is just one of my pet peeves. Give a good answer or ...well...shut up.

Unless you have hooked up your mag up to a power source and truely "toasted" something, alot of your mag will be rebuildable. Bearings, armature, points plate, etc can all be refurbished, rewound, replaced, remagnitized, massaged, etc. Trouble is a good, good mag rebuild, depending on what is NOT re-useable can run up to $600 bucks or more. And you gotta find the right guy. Some of the "old timers" are getting hard to get out of bed and I have had the "guru's" take 3 or 4 months to complete a rebuild.

If you have a dual carb head (oh my god this is not correct for 1950 or for a T110!! Can we survive?!?!) the Morris mag might have fitting problems because it sticks up back there I think like the Joe Hunt magneto. I have run dual carbs on a two carb head and had to massage the bottom of the carburettor to get it to fit. I forget if Morris mags lay down or not (oh my god! again an imperfect answer!! Get ready for castigation by the know it alls!!)

A joe Hunt mag is also a good alternative to the K2F, but full pop retail is I think about $700, of course you can usually find some new parts store guy (read "I sell crap out of my apartment on ebay) that sells Hunts and other stuff for just above cost, so don't be surprised if a pre-unit Joe Hunts shows up for $550 or $600 on that rotten auction site.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna try out a new guy I know of but have never tried before. We can experimant together....in a non-man/man love kinda way.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
fouraceswes

Also a Hunt mag can use your already existing advance/retard unit giving you the ability to start at full advance. At the end of the day the only advantages to a Morris is that it is going to be NEW, not refurbished 60 years old. It probably has less moving parts and is newer technology. But this might be balanced out by fitment problems.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
horsebites

Thanks!
Yeah my title says it's 1950 but I'm assuming it's wrong now. Well at least the numbers match on the motor. This is my first triumph so bare with me.

Ok anyways, it's a single carb and I can get the Lucas rebuilt for about the price you mentioned through Doug at Doug's Cycle Barn. The only reason I didn't mention him before was because I didn't want anyone to feel that they were taking away business from him if they suggested getting a new Hunt or Morris Mag.

Money isn't so much the issue, it's more so that I just want a good opinion if a new mag will perform better and last longer. I just don't want to buy a new mag if it will perform just like my current one if it's rebuilt.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
reverb

...I had a BTH in my 48 pre unit then I lost it and fitted a Joe Hunt. It s running perfectly for over 10 years. No alterations in the fitment.
The thing better is that you do not have critical parts in move like the British ones.

Last edited by reverb; 01-06-2014 at 09:28 PM.
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
horsebites

Oh also I forgot to mention. Since it was chopped in the 70's I don't care if it's "period correct". It won't be going back to stock and it's def not a show bike.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraceswes View Post
Hey here is an answer that is not picking on your archaic knowledge of Triumph Model designations and years. Sorry Bob this is just one of my pet peeves. Give a good answer or ...well...shut up.

Wes, if you feel the guy is better off continuing to think he has a 1950 T110, well so be it. I don't feel that way. I doubt the discrepancy will ruin his life, but sometimes it's a little easier gathering info about your bike when you actually know what it is you're working on. As for his selection of magnetos, your response was anticipated and, as usual, well thought out. No need for me to re-invent the wheel, so I'll shut up now. I'm going out into the garage to work on my 1957 T120.

Bob

Last edited by bobscogin; 01-06-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
kllrjo

or you could just drop down to CHOPPEDTRIUMPH`s in Lakeland for one of his plug-in EI conversion kits.
at least you could be riding whilist the experts fettled with your mag.
just a thought~

http://www.ace-custom.com/
https://www.facebook.com/acecustomcycle
kllrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #10
richbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllrjo View Post
or you could just drop down to CHOPPEDTRIUMPH`s in Lakeland for one of his plug-in EI conversion kits.
just a thought~
I have just fitted a K2FC on a pre unit which came to me rebuilt i looked at all the options because i needed to buy an ATD unit for it 200 so my thinking was
sell mag and go electronic (i like electronic)and have quite a lot of cash left over. I run a morris on another bike its fine. After speaking with a lot of "experts" i used the Lucas with a fixed gear at 38 started first kick.
its all that Prince of darkness stuff you need to forget. if expertly rebuilt should be good, you can see set up on my 49 build thread.
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
horsebites

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
I have just fitted a K2FC on a pre unit which came to me rebuilt i looked at all the options because i needed to buy an ATD unit for it 200 so my thinking was
sell mag and go electronic (i like electronic)and have quite a lot of cash left over. I run a morris on another bike its fine. After speaking with a lot of "experts" i used the Lucas with a fixed gear at 38 started first kick.
its all that Prince of darkness stuff you need to forget. if expertly rebuilt should be good, you can see set up on my 49 build thread.
Thanks for the advice! This helps make up my mind.
One thing I forgot to mention is my current K2F does NOT have an auto advance on it. Is that a deciding factor on getting a new modern mag that has one?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Ducbsa

The Lucas auto advance units can wear out at the pivots, wear at the travel stops, and need new springs; all fixable. If yours has a taper, timing can slip unless you lap the hub and shaft together with valve grinding compound. I like my Lucas mag.
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
horsebites

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllrjo View Post
just a thought~
Thank you for this! I think I'm actually gonna go this route. I called him today and he was super straightforward and insightful. It also doesn't hurt that I live 45min away from him.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
vorhese

My K2F was rebuilt for $300 and it runs like a champ and will for years. That seems the cheapest route to me.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #15
richbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebites View Post
Thanks for the advice! This helps make up my mind.
One thing I forgot to mention is my current K2F does NOT have an auto advance on it. Is that a deciding factor on getting a new modern mag that has one?
I too thought I needed the advance retard feature as I have that on my 39 Harley and on the Morris /T120(for starting) but seems no problem had a couple of kickbacks but mainly due to messing around with carbs (I was jetting)good kick starts first time every time touch wood !
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
horsebites

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
I too thought I needed the advance retard feature as I have that on my 39 Harley and on the Morris /T120(for starting) but seems no problem had a couple of kickbacks but mainly due to messing around with carbs (I was jetting)good kick starts first time every time touch wood !
Ah ok, good to know. Yeah I decided I'm getting an e ignition from Chopped Triumphs. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #17
fouraceswes

A word of caution on an IE for a Pre-unit. Many times the IE's that I have set using the "dot in the hole" method have required the use of a timing gun and an adjustment of the plate. It takes a really really talented guy who can set timing by ear. This strob-o-scope method is easy on later model post '66 Triumphs because of the timing window. Units from 63 to 65 can be retrofitted with the newer primary cover for timing. Pre-units have no provision for timing with a light, no mark on a rotor (except alternator models), etc. You can set one up of course, and you should. You don't wanna be a few degrees off climbing that long hill on a hot day. Its a recipe for a stuck motor or a holed piston.

Tags
morris, morris magneto, pre unit, t110, triumph