A quality Bates-type headlight - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Ratso

Default A quality Bates-type headlight

I can't help it, I still think there's no better-looking headlight for a stripped-down bike than the Bates. Over the past (nearly) fifty years I must have bought eight, nine Bates-style lights, most of them bottom mount, most from swap meets, some new, only a couple genuine. And most of them broke. I mean the housings would tear at the mounting holes. A few bikes I sold or, well you know, with the headlight still intact; but I bet those proceeded to crack, too, with the passage of not very much time.

Has anybody got recent, first-hand experience of a source for Bates repros that are not so eager to let vibration get the best of them? U.S. or, okay, U.K. made is my strong preference. It would be okay w/me if the good quality extended to the light's innards as well.

If anybody feels like responding to this remarkably boring query, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
James rats
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Elektron

Default Re: A quality Bates-type headlight

I've used EMGO lights on bikes. I like the 7" light, in a flat-black finish, and a chrome bezel.

Have you considered going to 'ears' on the downtubes, instead of the single-mount machine screw at the 6 o'clock position? Then you'd have two mounting points, at 3 o'clock, and at 9 o'clock. That would probably offer the support you need to prevent a failure typical of the single mount.

You could also try removing the riveted bracket at the base of the housing, and install one that's larger, and through-bolt it together. A thicker, larger piece of steel might give the mount the support it needs to avoid metal-fatigue cracking. A bit of heat, some time on an anvil, and you should be able to fabricate a better mount.

Last edited by Elektron; 05-26-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
JonesL

Weight is not your friend. If you don't mind the look, LEDs are generally lighter than a sealed beam headlamp. Mounting the headlight so it sits above the bracket instead of hanging from it also cuts down on the weight the housing has to support.

I've also had good luck using a rubber grommet with flat washers on each side of the mounting bolt/stud. A "rubber mount" is a good way to protect the headlight from vibration.
JonesL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Stormin

Be nice to see a photo of this particularly bothersome headlamp. I have re-riveted the housing to the base with good success using buck rivets and a pneumatic gun.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Take a look at Paughco:

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/...3-lighting.pdf
Old 05-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I use a Paughco on my Shovel. Seems solid enough.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
joe49

Haven't used or needed one in many many moons but damn those went up.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Ratso

Holy cats. They sure did go up; whew! -- But those look like they were designed by somebody who'd also had half a dozen Bates-types break on him. The riveted bracket support for the bottom-mount is way bigger than the lamps I remember, and the side-mount also looks like it has more going on in re support. Thanks for the Paughco link.

I now know what I should do: buy the Paughco. But that really is big money for a lamp. If I end up buying another swap-meet special I'll do as you've done, Stormin, and as you suggest, Elektron. Also, you're right about side mounts being more reluctant to crack than bottom mounts, at least in my limited experience. But I prefer the looks of the latter style.

Thanks to all o' you.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Holy cats. They sure did go up; whew! -- But those look like they were designed by somebody who'd also had half a dozen Bates-types break on him. The riveted bracket support for the bottom-mount is way bigger than the lamps I remember, and the side-mount also looks like it has more going on in re support. Thanks for the Paughco link.

I now know what I should do: buy the Paughco. But that really is big money for a lamp. If I end up buying another swap-meet special I'll do as you've done, Stormin, and as you suggest, Elektron. Also, you're right about side mounts being more reluctant to crack than bottom mounts, at least in my limited experience. But I prefer the looks of the latter style.

Thanks to all o' you.
You’re welcome. Don’t forget the cost to produce in the USA. I bought one of their lights years ago, wasn’t what they’re priced at today, but I’d rather pay more for a USA made part.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:42 AM   #10
Ratso

Yeah, I'm not complaining. Not exactly. At least I hope I'm not. Agree about buying American & trying to keep the money here.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:09 AM   #11
richbob

I saw a while back W&W sell a shell and you can chose which lens/beam unit you fit (i deemed this expensive and bought a cheap one from Customchrome or somewhere im quite happy with it.)

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #12
VonWegener

I'm late to the party but Paughco is still the bates-iest light on the market. Especially the one where the bracket is riveted to the outside. Heavy gauge shell perfect looks. They are a copy of the light Bates sold in the 1960s. Note also the desirable Red hi-beam indicator way better looking than that blue euro lighting crap.
Unfortunately it is also the priciest. You can buy like 5 chinese lights for the same price.
Paughco model 1300 $135 well spent.
Pictures are from the W&W Website. In Germany Sealed Beams are illegal so they sell the lights without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts Paughco 1300 b.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	257316   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts Paughco 1300 a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	257318  

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote